M5 First Aid Kit Panel

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
Machtig

M5 First Aid Kit Panel

Post by Machtig »

I need to either procure a good used first aid kit panel or repair mine; problem is I have no idea what an original panel looks like on the back side. I have a strong suspicion mine has been "repaired" in the past. Could someone with a good one take a few photos of the back side and the front side with the door open. Thanks!

Brian
Machtig

Re: M5 First Aid Kit Panel

Post by Machtig »

So here is where I'm at, does this look like I at least have everything I should? Some parts of the compartment look a little hacked up where the capture devices rotate into, but maybe it's just old and well used?

Randomg

Post by Randomg »

Funny how these cars get old together, I'm messing with the same section on my car.

Mine looks exactly like yours, only the wood is broken in different spots, and I spent way too much time removing the old glue from where the container piece mounts. My door wouldn't stay up, and it's because the top of the container where the holes are had come loose. From what I've gathered, Weldwood contact cement is a good way to secure the pieces.
Machtig

Post by Machtig »

Randomg wrote:Funny how these cars get old together, I'm messing with the same section on my car.

Mine looks exactly like yours, only the wood is broken in different spots, and I spent way too much time removing the old glue from where the container piece mounts. My door wouldn't stay up, and it's because the top of the container where the holes are had come loose. From what I've gathered, Weldwood contact cement is a good way to secure the pieces.
Copy all. I am going to remake the main panel with some thin plywood and reglue the carpet to it. Then I'll reglue the box to the panel. I think that will get me to a 95% solution. I'd really like to see some photos of a panel in very good shape. Anyone? Bueller....Bueller....
buzby

Post by buzby »

I have brand new one fitted. I think I got last one from BMW.... I will remove at weekend and post link to photos.

Remind me if nothing posted by Sunday evening.
Machtig

Post by Machtig »

buzby wrote:I have brand new one fitted. I think I got last one from BMW.... I will remove at weekend and post link to photos.

Remind me if nothing posted by Sunday evening.
Excellent! That would be awesome.
buzby

Post by buzby »

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8qr38wx09t00 ... S3PQa?dl=0

Here is the link to the pictures, sorry cannot work out how to post here.

The carpet is a lighter shade so I am thinking of finding a shade closer to original and recovering (not top priority)

The inside holder a little bent as was pressing up against jack handle and no first aid kit inside.

Dave
Machtig

Post by Machtig »

buzby wrote:https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8qr38wx09t00 ... S3PQa?dl=0

Here is the link to the pictures, sorry cannot work out how to post here.

The carpet is a lighter shade so I am thinking of finding a shade closer to original and recovering (not top priority)

The inside holder a little bent as was pressing up against jack handle and no first aid kit inside.

Dave
Thank you! Now we are cooking with gas!
Here are the photos:

buzby

Post by buzby »

Thanks for posting the photos!

Dave
dan101smith

Post by dan101smith »

Is that a genuine BMW part? It looks different...
buzby

Post by buzby »

I still have the original package it came in (the old one is in it), it was a genuine BMW part from Tischer. Will post link to photo later.

I can also dig up the invoice.
Machtig

Post by Machtig »

It looks legit, just updated slightly. The carpet is a lighter color and the edging around the opening is different from my circa 1987 panel. The gaps around the first aid kit opening is also more than on my old one.
buzby

Post by buzby »

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8qr38wx09t00 ... S3PQa?dl=0

Link to package with correct part number and views of my crappy original panel.

Yes, trim is different around the opening and carpet lighter.

Dave
Machtig

Post by Machtig »

Buzby
Will you sell me what is left of your old panel?
buzby

Post by buzby »

I really want to keep it and make a good one out of the two. I don't like the carpet color on the new one and will try a duplicate the original. I will see if the old carpet can be removed and glued on the new backing.

Sorry.

I seems like these M5 trunk pieces are like gold dust these days!
ktarver

Post by ktarver »

Hello all,

I know this is a really old post but I’m an M5 owner and my car was missing this panel when I purchased in 94. Is there anyone that may have an old one or know where I might find a used one to purchase? Please let me know.

Thanks!

Keith Tarver
Keith.tarver@me.com
Phone: 208-409-0778