M5 Prices

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
1st 5er

Re: M5 Prices

Post by 1st 5er »

:wave:

Glad ours came along when it did.

Lookin'...
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

As I suspected, the E28 M5 values have risen following the E30 M3, but they seem to have dramatically sky-rocketed more than most of us probably even anticipated. People realize these are neat cars to drive, and they are getting harder and harder to find.

I was surprised to see the sale price of this car:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-BMW-M5-/17 ... 7675.l2557
http://bringatrailer.com/2016/03/29/rou ... o-reserve/

Interestingly it came from Greeley, CO to UT but was sold at $17,800 and was in need of front seats, dash, hail damage repairs, idle/mechanical work, new tires, among other small items. Overall a car that would have sold for probably $6000 about 5 years ago. You can't always tell the 'floor' of rising markets, but I think this gives some indication that the days of a running and driving $10k E28 M5 are gone.

After reading the BAT comments for this car, it seems that in rising markets such as this, people get mesmerized by the upward trend and tend to want to buy now because "very soon I won't be able to afford it at all." Of course this creates more competition and fuels the fire of demand, driving the market up further yet.
downforce22

Post by downforce22 »

tschultz wrote:it seems that in rising markets such as this, people get mesmerized by the upward trend and tend to want to buy now because "very soon I won't be able to afford it at all." Of course this creates more competition and fuels the fire of demand, driving the market up further yet.

Sounds like what happened to the tech bubble in the stock market in the early 2000s. I am not saying that will happen to classic M cars are they have an inherent value that cannot be replaced these days, but it is interesting to compare the mind set of 'I won't be able to afford it if I wait any longer' :laugh:
trkshoe

Post by trkshoe »

downforce22 wrote:
tschultz wrote:it seems that in rising markets such as this, people get mesmerized by the upward trend and tend to want to buy now because "very soon I won't be able to afford it at all." Of course this creates more competition and fuels the fire of demand, driving the market up further yet.

Sounds like what happened to the tech bubble in the stock market in the early 2000s. I am not saying that will happen to classic M cars are they have an inherent value that cannot be replaced these days, but it is interesting to compare the mind set of 'I won't be able to afford it if I wait any longer' :laugh:
M5 - Hard asset
Stock - Fictional
JoeFromPA

Post by JoeFromPA »

M5 hard asset with limited and decreasing numbers available.

Stock - Fictional asset, frivously determined on numbers available and numbers available readily change.

I could be wrong, but I'm not aware of any german vehicle driven up in price that has come back down AFTER it's rise (to date). It may have stabilized, or even fluctuated around a high point, but when I think of various Porsche 911s and BMWs and Mercedes of desirable years/models, I can't think of any that skyrocketed then plummeted.

I'm sure a case can be made though.

I think the e28 m5 is currently at it's peak, but e30 m3 prices have proven me wrong.

Lastly, to caveat my comments, there is a new force in the market: EAG. They didn't have such market force on rare BMWs 5-10 years ago, but now they will snap up clean models and drive up the prices 40% and keep doing so - even moreso- until the market breaks. That is somewhat unique and an unknown factor in the long run.
socalM5

Post by socalM5 »

Hagerty just released this month values for the 1988 BMW M5 went up a little bit looks like it's still going up but very slowly
M5BB

Post by M5BB »

Just raised my value to $48000.
Should have done this months ago and should probably be higher.

Going to Hilton Head this weekend about 6 hours.
Rich Euro M5

Post by Rich Euro M5 »

I thought I'd jump in to this thread since I've been watching M5 prices lately. I still have my '85 Euro, it's in the same place it's been for the past 14 years, my garage. Now that the weather is getting cooler, it's time to start working on her, and to stuff the engine back where it belongs.

Some stats for those who don't know the car.
'85 BMW E28 M5
SN: 1018034
Diamond Schwartz w/ Buffalo interior
Mileage: Approx. 107K Miles

Richard
bobby in Derby City
Location: Hidin' in a bowl of rice ready to put a cap in an a$$

Post by bobby in Derby City »

Always loved your insight Rich. 14 years makes me feel better about my M3 coming up on 6 years sitting ... Yours and "Bryan in SB" Fjord Blue are the first Euro M5s I remember about being in the states ... Yours from the old board ...Then again there is always "Tim the Enchanter" ... Greetings ... Looking forward to your "next" Maiden Voyage .... Double row timing chain FTW :cool:
Rich Euro M5 wrote:I thought I'd jump in to this thread since I've been watching M5 prices lately. I still have my '85 Euro, it's in the same place it's been for the past 14 years, my garage. Now that the weather is getting cooler, it's time to start working on her, and to stuff the engine back where it belongs.

Some stats for those who don't know the car.
'85 BMW E28 M5
SN: 1018034
Diamond Schwartz w/ Buffalo interior
Mileage: Approx. 107K Miles

Richard
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

From Luis.
bobby in Derby City

1st 5er wrote:From Luis.
Luis snagged it? I watched the auction and it went to Illinois. Bidders out of Oregon and Poland made the Illinois guy pay $15,200

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?p=1401918#p1401918
bobby in Derby City

Noticed I never posted here. Purchased for $2500 around Jan. 23 2010. Seller gave a guy a $100 of that to flatbed to my driveway 22 miles away next day. Drove "MoneyPenny" down driveway to sit in garage for next 2.5 years ... Rest of story is on the board ...

http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=8181
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

bobby in Derby City wrote:
1st 5er wrote:From Luis.
Luis snagged it? I watched the auction and it went to Illinois. Bidders out of Oregon and Poland made the Illinois guy pay $15,200

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?p=1401918#p1401918

No, he sent the link.
YVL711

Post by YVL711 »

Hello, i buy this car for 15 200 USA. It comes to small county – Lithuania, in Europe. I will get car in +- 2 month, so i can write later, is it a big crash or not and what i find under it. In photos it seems normal, but i gess, i can find surprise. In Europe these car are expensive and it is hard to find good model for good price. In Lithuania it can be a problem to find rear bumper, because all parts are european. So need to find it.
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

YVL711 wrote:Hello, i buy this car for 15 200 USA. It comes to small county – Lithuania, in Europe. I will get car in +- 2 month, so i can write later, is it a big crash or not and what i find under it. In photos it seems normal, but i gess, i can find surprise. In Europe these car are expensive and it is hard to find good model for good price. In Lithuania it can be a problem to find rear bumper, because all parts are european. So need to find it.

Good luck with your purchase.

Ivo, Ovide, MyE28 user name, has recently taken delivery of 2 to Europe. He might be able to provide assistance.

Again, Congrats and Good Luck with rebuild.
YVL711

Post by YVL711 »

Some photos:
Front:
Rear:

Interior:
mhagoodm

Post by mhagoodm »

I wonder what the market value would be on a 160,000 mile car, all original panels, paint OK, interior 5/10.. Basically a good candidate for restoration. Debating on the direction to go with my car. Hard to find a comp on something of this condition. Do we think the crashed/salvaged car from the previous post is a good indicator of lowest possible value?
M5BB

Post by M5BB »

mhagoodm wrote:I wonder what the market value would be on a 160,000 mile car, all original panels, paint OK, interior 5/10.. Basically a good candidate for restoration. Debating on the direction to go with my car. Hard to find a comp on something of this condition. Do we think the crashed/salvaged car from the previous post is a good indicator of lowest possible value?
It's all about the engines. That's what holds the prices down. A professional rebuild could easily be $15k or more.
Also getting into some parts availability issues.
Prices have come up a lot in the last two years but only for the really good cars.
Really nice and complete M5's have sold on BAT in the 50's but other really nice cars have not sold in the mid thirties.
My car is over 170k but is really very nice and still wins awards. It would probably sell in the 40-50's
The really exceptional low mileage cars on EAG are going close to $100K
Many beat up cars are selling around $10K.
Do you watch BAT? Sign up.
Gary
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I'm not seeing beat up cars around 10k. Anything sub 20k does not sit around long and if it does, it's usually a seller problem. Im actually not sure what to think of that. Also many of the lesser examples are leaving the country so the crop of available, restorable cars is shrinking.

While the motors are still a consideration, I'm seeing more and more people skipping the PPI with the compression/leakdown just to get the car. That shows how things have changed over the last five years though I think prices are cooling a bit.
Motronic

Post by Motronic »

Prices are definitely cooling from last summer. I was going to put mine on BAT this summer, but...enjoying the car. Always keeping in mind once it's gone - it's gone.
RMP

Post by RMP »

Motronic wrote:Prices are definitely cooling from last summer. I was going to put mine on BAT this summer, but...enjoying the car. Always keeping in mind once it's gone - it's gone.

Oh that was close, but reason prevails! Once you get one of these beauties sorted out and back to it's original glory, $50 - 80K+ doesn't match their fun and satisfaction.
kjoseph270

Post by kjoseph270 »

I would actually consider selling if I could get $45-50k. I originally bought to daily drive but now it sits in my garage because of the value. With 105k miles and just about everything in shape I'm afraid to mess it up! Have been thinking of testing the waters on BAT but am too lazy to market the car. :laugh:
88 M5

Post by 88 M5 »

Just watched the gavel fall at bat yesterday on a 141K mile example that looked to be in amazing shape and had a lot of money poured into it. $52,888. With several previous examples selling less than 40K (sometimes not selling) it makes me wonder if this was just an anomaly due to the restoration plus the right buyers or if the market is heating up. Interesting to watch for sure.
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

I saw that one and was very surprised at the sale price especially when compared to some higher mileage cars that sort for much less.
M5BB

Post by M5BB »

I was watching and commenting as were some of you.
I thought the car was pretty nice.
The interior was like new. Probably 8K in that alone.
There were a few strange things but not deal breakers.

I did not like the wheel and tire combo.
The car sat funny and looked like it had PU truck tires on it.
Mines almost that nice and I hope would sell in the $40"s.
They keep going up but I can't stop driving mine. Not a daily but still gets used.

Did Eric's black/black car in Colorado Springs ever sell?
I know it didn't meet reserve on BAT.