M5 "Makeover" (Photo Heavy!)

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
Tifoso

Re: M5 "Makeover" (Photo Heavy!)

Post by Tifoso »

I wanted to update this thread because Phase II of the M5 makeover is now complete. This update focused on engine performance and engine bay cosmetics. Modifications included:

- JB Racing lightweight flywheel
- Schrick 280 deg. intake cam and S38B36 exhaust cam
- Euro headers (ceramic coated)
- Carbon fiber airbox (approximates shape and location of stock box, but increases volume) and snorkel
- Miller "Powerfold" extended intake couplers
- MAXX Alpha N engine management
- Powdercoated valve cover (gloss black)
- Misc. engine maintenance and engine bay clean-up

My goal was to wake this engine up a bit and give it a nice intake bark. Mission accomplished -- this thing screams! And the sound of the carbon airbox at full throttle from 3,500 RPM on up is incredible (but it is very subtle when cruising).

I have to say that the every day driveability with the MAXX Alpha N system is beyond reproach. We are going to dyno tune shortly for more power and some fine tuning, but with some "real world" driving/tuning under our belt, the Alpha N has proven to really work amazingly well in all conditions. All work was done by Mario Langsten and his team at Vintage Sports and Restoration, so I can't provide any "how to's" sadly, but I can tell you that she now runs like a bat out of hell!

A few photos:

Mark 88/M5 Houston

Post by Mark 88/M5 Houston »

Pretty and fast, I can't think of a better combination in a car!
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

Can you give us any info on the carbon fiber intake setup?
Tifoso

Post by Tifoso »

Karl Grau wrote:Can you give us any info on the carbon fiber intake setup?
The carbon box and snorkel are made by Christian Opitz in Germany. His website is here:

http://www.vft-opitz.de/

Here's an ebay link for the box I purchased:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-M5-E28-Carbo ... 1005313994

The quality of the carbon work isn't top notch, but the price is fairly reasonable compared to other carbon boxes out there, and the box certainly functions well. He offers different inlet diameters based upon the application. Because I was doing Alpha N, he was able to provide a 120 mm inlet diameter.

The carbon setup offers an increase in volume over the stock box. No numbers could be provided, but the carbon box is considerably wider/deeper than the stock box. There is a much larger carbon box that is also offered (for an E34), but it seemed to require too much work to get it to fit in an E28 engine bay....
cek

Post by cek »

Tammer in Philly

Post by Tammer in Philly »

Car looks amazing. Great work. Hope you held onto the stock S38 parts.

I am trying hard, but I think the only gripe I can make is that I don't love the intake hose between the carbon fiber pieces. Is there an appropriately-sized silicone tube or something that could work and be a solid color (preferably black)?

Overall--stunning. By the way - in your first round of pics, I was thinking "such a nice and clean car but that old coolant bottle ..." Well, you fixed that and more!
Tifoso

Post by Tifoso »

Tammer in Philly wrote:Car looks amazing. Great work. Hope you held onto the stock S38 parts.

I am trying hard, but I think the only gripe I can make is that I don't love the intake hose between the carbon fiber pieces. Is there an appropriately-sized silicone tube or something that could work and be a solid color (preferably black)?

Overall--stunning. By the way - in your first round of pics, I was thinking "such a nice and clean car but that old coolant bottle ..." Well, you fixed that and more!
Thanks! Yes, absolutely, I have retained all of the stock S38 parts.

I hear you on the intake hose. The original hose that we found was red, which I was not happy with, so this one is a huge improvement! I agree that it would be ideal to have one that was all black, but I think it's difficult to find one with the right heat/rigidity specs in the proper 120 mm diameter.... I will definitely keep my eyes peeled, though.
m-racer

Post by m-racer »

Excellent work. I used Alpha N on my former (TiminNF's) stroker M30because I had good experiences with the system on E30 M3s. Your is the only S38 with that engine management that I have read about. How is it working for you - what type of performance change did you see? I assume you used closed loop. Look forward to reading more.
HealeyBN7

Post by HealeyBN7 »

With the new air box and snorkel are you still running an air filter? I just can't figure out where is would be given the headlights are just about inline with the radiator cross brace.
tn535i

Post by tn535i »

I like almost everything and I won't say what I don't because it's personal preference but agree with that hose and where is the AF now ?

You might try some of those plastic straps with the snap together grips if they come big enough. The would look cleaner and are easy to reuse and it's not like you need an absolute seal there. I'm thinking the 120mm is probably going to limit your choices though and 100mm (4") would have probably been plenty big and give more options for hose and clamps. A nice aluminum transition on each would look good and could be glued on the CF boxes.

Where did you get the coated headers? Nice. What about the rest of the exhaust or did I miss the description?

Great work, wish I had the time to spend on a project like this. Maybe in retirement. Hah.
HealeyBN7

Post by HealeyBN7 »

I do like it. The location of the MAF sensor is also interesting. I am using Dan Millers 4" MAF and I considered restricting the ID to 3.5 or smaller to pick up a more definitive signal at idle to 3k. I know that would be a trade off at 7k.

I probably won't do it as I have it dialed in well enough to pull cleanly to redline and still pass smog, but I must be missing something in my analysis of you are able to get excellent drivability with a Panamal canal sized ID. It must be the better ECU that allows the soft are signal?

As another data point, I have wonderful traceability on my Lotus with no MAF and a well tuned OMeX system.

Enough rambling. Nice work!
Das_Prachtstrasse

Post by Das_Prachtstrasse »

HealeyBN7 wrote:I do like it. The location of the MAF sensor is also interesting. I am using Dan Millers 4" MAF and I considered restricting the ID to 3.5 or smaller to pick up a more definitive signal at idle to 3k. I know that would be a trade off at 7k
What MAF sensor?

Nice to see someone getting good streetable results from Alpha-N tuning. I've been contemplating this path on my ITB'd M30 to avoid an airbox all together and am beginning to lean towards it more now I've seen this.
HealeyBN7

Post by HealeyBN7 »

Das_Prachtstrasse wrote:
What MAF sensor?
I didn't realize the Alpha-N system didn't use a MAF. I should have done some homework before commenting... Always a good rule.

I guess that's a temp sensor I mistook for a MAF. And I should have noticed the TPS was changed. Probably to get a linear signal.

Nice set up.

Dean
Tifoso

Post by Tifoso »

We're planning to dyno tune shortly, so we should have some numbers to test my seat-of-pants observations which are: quicker throttle response, slight reduction in low end torque, and a solid wave of more power from 4,000 RPM on up. Driveability (including stop and go, part throttle inputs, coasting, idle quality) all remain excellent.

Someone asked about exhaust specs -- the euro headers are mated to a VSR center section and a B&B muffler. I like the exhaust sound -- I was worried it would be too loud when I added the headers, but not at all the case. A nice bellow when you get on it, fairly quiet at cruise, and no droning whatsoever....

In terms of filtration, we had to improvise -- VSR used some filter foam to fabricate a panel filter that sits just in front of the airbox, with a bracket system that allows fairly easy removal for cleaning or replacement. I will post a photo.

Carmine
austin_caccavo

Post by austin_caccavo »

Does it get more perfect than this? I am beyond jealous!!
tn535i

Post by tn535i »

So I gotta say after spending my career in filtration I don't like foam filters. They don't perform well and if you get the efficiency up at all they have way too much restriction because the area is tiny by comparison to pleated paper. That is by far the better way to go and the stock M5/6 filter is good design for air.

Keep that machine on clean roads in fair weather, you don't want to get it dirty anyway. :)
dan101smith

Post by dan101smith »

I like this a lot. Certainly neater than my effort:

Tifoso

Post by Tifoso »

tn535i wrote:So I gotta say after spending my career in filtration I don't like foam filters. They don't perform well and if you get the efficiency up at all they have way too much restriction because the area is tiny by comparison to pleated paper. That is by far the better way to go and the stock M5/6 filter is good design for air.

Keep that machine on clean roads in fair weather, you don't want to get it dirty anyway. :)
While some may disapprove, I never drive this car in the rain or on any dusty/dirt roads - she's a real princess! :)
Tifoso

Post by Tifoso »

dan101smith wrote:I like this a lot. Certainly neater than my effort
Totally badass! That's the other (larger) box that I considered.... Performance must be amazing.
CBREEZ

Post by CBREEZ »

True inspiration for a fellow M5 owner, and best of all rather local! I love it!!!
CarNut68

Post by CarNut68 »

Maybe I missed it but what is the exhaust system? Very nice looking.
leadphut

Post by leadphut »

i don't share many colored, bea gifs, but this car is worth it. :up:

Tifoso

Post by Tifoso »

CarNut68 wrote:Maybe I missed it but what is the exhaust system? Very nice looking.
Exhaust details are buried in one of my responses above: " the euro headers are mated to a VSR center section and a B&B muffler. I like the exhaust sound -- I was worried it would be too loud when I added the headers, but not at all the case. A nice bellow when you get on it, fairly quiet at cruise, and no droning whatsoever...."
Tifoso

Post by Tifoso »

A quick update: the car has been running great overall with the Alpha N tune. The only issues I've been experiencing are some occasional stumbling/stalling at low RPM. VSR did a dyno tuning session yesterday, and it seems much better. Still not always perfect coming off idle, but there is more fine tuning to do. The car dyno'd at 272 hp at the rear wheels (at 6300) and 246 lb ft of torque (at 5400). With an 18% to 20% drivetrain loss assumption, that's around 330 crank hp. I can post the dyno sheet, but not sure how to post a PDF on here....
Tifoso

Post by Tifoso »

FYI, I have posted my Fikse wheels for sale in the classifieds, in case anyone is interested:

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=146141