FS: 1987 E28 M535i

Buy, sell or trade whole vehicles.
immortal

FS: 1987 E28 M535i

Post by immortal »

Hey guys!

I assume many of you have seen it on eBay, BaT, and some other various platforms. Diamond Black Metallic, just under 110,000 miles and NO RUST, this car is in great condition for its age. Original tool kit in trunk, interior is flawless. Minor crack in dash. Engine needs a little time and money invested. Some rewiring of loose ends. Having trouble to get the stereo system working, even though its upgraded. Did a full engine bay insulation swap. An exhaust clamp needs to be welded as well. Just flushed coolant, going to swap oil and coolant ASAP but I've been very busy dedicating time to my job as I just graduated college. This is the catalyst version so it's the low compression engine w/ automatic transmission. I have all the paper work including the export certificate which is the vital tool in obtaining the title. In NH for sale (where it's located), we would use a bill of sale and proof of origin (export certificate) or I/we can bring it to an inspection station to prove it's validity.

Exterior: 9/10 - no rust, underside has no corrosion, paint is faded in some areas as there are sign of repaint however it was matched quite well. Only defect in paint is the mirrors are flaking. Sealants around windows are great.

Interior: 9.5/10 - radio issues, A/C works and blows cold, tiny dash crack, no rips or tears or strains, door liner peeling but I will get to it.

Mechanical: 6.5/10 - needs some love, conducting fluid flushes soon, starts up first try every time. I drive once a week, runs quite well. Lifter or compression issue possibly at it doesn't sound perfectly aligned when running. Rewiring to bypass an electrical drainage and put in a kill switch, so it's not an issue. Transmission shifts great, sport mode is fun too!

VIN: WBADC890300716026

First link should work... Never been able to upload on these outdated forums inserts.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1KHF ... 3VNaUpTdlk

Say what you want, ask questions and don't hesitate to contact me. I don't know where I'm taking my next job quite yet as I have a few offers, so I want to find this car a loving home. Find me a cheaper one in this condition and I'll match it! $13000 OBO

nevinstevens94@gmail.com
cek

Re: FS: 1987 E28 M535i

Post by cek »

immortal wrote:Hey guys!

I assume many of you have seen it on eBay, BaT, and some other various platforms. Diamond Black Metallic, just under 110,000 miles and NO RUST, this car is in great condition for its age. Original tool kit in trunk, interior is flawless. Minor crack in dash. Engine needs a little time and money invested. Some rewiring of loose ends. Having trouble to get the stereo system working, even though its upgraded. Did a full engine bay insulation swap. An exhaust clamp needs to be welded as well. Just flushed coolant, going to swap oil and coolant ASAP but I've been very busy dedicating time to my job as I just graduated college. This is the catalyst version so it's the low compression engine w/ automatic transmission. I have all the paper work including the export certificate which is the vital tool in obtaining the title. In NH for sale (where it's located), we would use a bill of sale and proof of origin (export certificate) or I/we can bring it to an inspection station to prove it's validity.

Exterior: 9/10 - no rust, underside has no corrosion, paint is faded in some areas as there are sign of repaint however it was matched quite well. Only defect in paint is the mirrors are flaking. Sealants around windows are great.

Interior: 9.5/10 - radio issues, A/C works and blows cold, tiny dash crack, no rips or tears or strains, door liner peeling but I will get to it.

Mechanical: 6.5/10 - needs some love, conducting fluid flushes soon, starts up first try every time. I drive once a week, runs quite well. Lifter or compression issue possibly at it doesn't sound perfectly aligned when running. Rewiring to bypass an electrical drainage and put in a kill switch, so it's not an issue. Transmission shifts great, sport mode is fun too!

VIN: WBADC890300716026

First link should work... Never been able to upload on these outdated forums inserts.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1KHF ... 3VNaUpTdlk

Say what you want, ask questions and don't hesitate to contact me. I don't know where I'm taking my next job quite yet as I have a few offers, so I want to find this car a loving home. Find me a cheaper one in this condition and I'll match it! $13000 OBO

nevinstevens94@gmail.com
Ok, ill say what I want. Neither the interior or exterior are anywhere close to your 9.x/10 ratings.

The worst thing you can do in listing a car like this here is to exaggerate on condition.

That said, this looks like a nice, interesting car. I'm a bit confused about its origin because I wasn't aware then M535i was made in 1987. And why would a euro car have a low compression engine and a cat?

GLWS.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I didn't look at the photos but...

Charlie, they made M535s up to 12/87 just like everything else. I have a 2/87 M535i which was really rare in the states until people starting buying M535s from Ivo. You don't see really any grey market cars after 85/86 because the exchange rate was no longer favorible to the US. This one is from Japan. It was for sale before and had lots of red flags.

Also, the lower compression engine with a cat was a no-cost option. They didn't make as many as they did the 10:1 motor but they made a ton. Many of the cars in the US have the 8:1 motors. All of the Japanese market cars were 8:1. This should also have a thermistor in the cat.
cek

Post by cek »

wkohler wrote:I didn't look at the photos but...

Charlie, they made M535s up to 12/87 just like everything else. I have a 2/87 M535i which was really rare in the states until people starting buying M535s from Ivo. You don't see really any grey market cars after 85/86 because the exchange rate was no longer favorible to the US. This one is from Japan. It was for sale before and had lots of red flags.

Also, the lower compression engine with a cat was a no-cost option. They didn't make as many as they did the 10:1 motor but they made a ton. Many of the cars in the US have the 8:1 motors. All of the Japanese market cars were 8:1. This should also have a thermistor in the cat.
Thanks for clarifying Chris. Going back in time, to 1987 I find it hard to understand why someone would choose a lower-performance motor for the sake of voluntarily protecting the environment. Sure, I know it's a big deal now, but then?
Kyle in NO
Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA

Post by Kyle in NO »

Depends on which country it was destined for. If a dealer ordered the car intending on it going to the USA, easier to order it emissions compliant than having to spend money getting it that way after the fact.
immortal

Post by immortal »

1) The E28 was replaced in '89. I'm shocked you make such a critical comment, followed by an even more surprising question.
2) It's Post-WWII Japan, I'd say they were concerned about emissions. M535i's were converted EPA and DOT to many nations, Japan, South Africa, and Australia. Never in the United States, idk if you were just referencing as an example^^
3) I have nothing to hide, it's my first BMW and I guess I made an error comparing it to its siblings I've seen. Any educated buyer would come see in person and ask for more pictures, like the people coming to view this week. I have literally nothing to hide, hence my very fair price and openness to assist.
4) Absolutely, speak at free will. However, if your comments don't assist prospective buyers beyond their own capabilities, are they really necessary?
cek

Post by cek »

Kyle in NO wrote:Depends on which country it was destined for. If a dealer ordered the car intending on it going to the USA, easier to order it emissions compliant than having to spend money getting it that way after the fact.
That makes sense. I hadn't considered that.

The OP doesn't indicate where this car came from or when it was imported.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I know it takes a while to go through the litany of posts and contributions to the community, but here's the last for sale thread: http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=135323

Also, OP, this is a DC89 M535i. It was made for the Japansese market, which is why it has the 8:1 motor and an automatic. DOT and EPA have nothing to do with it.

The 10 scale is inherently flawed and should not be used to assess condition since more often than not, the person doing the assessment has a vested interest in it being good and more often than not has lower standards. The type of person that would say "it's in good shape for it's age." This moldy cheese is in good shape for its age.
immortal

Post by immortal »

wkohler, cek and Kyle in NO. It's no coincidence you all commented on my last post, some like my self would call it trolling. But to each their own. Anyway, I'm not sure if you are moderators or feel the need to be (judging by your abnormally high post count), but none of you have said anything relevant to a prospective buyer. The pictures of the car speaks greater lengths than any of your words. I've had multiple people contact me with inquiries, which is what any serious buyer will be doing. Last time I checked this is the for sale section, not the blog about my opinions and tire kick section I digressed, Anyway...

wkohler, I understand you're the big guy on campus, but 'because it was made for the Japanese market' is not a sufficient nor correct answer. I could waste my time here, but it's irrelevant to the sale of my car as it's already been stated.

It is the DC89, one of a little over two-thousand LHD/Auto catalyst and non-catyslst version. However, I've handled this is the actual inquiry section. You all should know this though because this isn't the first time you have seen this car now huh?

But it's a free country, I'll let you three stooges blog away!
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

cek wrote:
Kyle in NO wrote:Depends on which country it was destined for. If a dealer ordered the car intending on it going to the USA, easier to order it emissions compliant than having to spend money getting it that way after the fact.

Another reason the Green motor would have been selected for a € delivery is there were tax incentives to have a cat on cars in some areas back then.

Back on point. Need to find the standard options list for the Japanese delivery cars, M535i for mid-87 delivery, specifically, as the option code is a very short list, just like the US cars. There could be an error in the ASAP for this vehicle, too. Only items listed are the moonroof and OBC II.
immortal

Post by immortal »

Blue Shadow wrote:
cek wrote:

Another reason the Green motor would have been selected for a € delivery is there were tax incentives to have a cat on cars in some areas back then.

Back on point. Need to find the standard options list for the Japanese delivery cars, M535i for mid-87 delivery, specifically, as the option code is a very short list, just like the US cars. There could be an error in the ASAP for this vehicle, too. Only items listed are the moonroof and OBC II.
Have a translator haha? My owners manual and brochure are in Japanese.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I'm sure there is a Japanese OCR program out there.
Sprocket

Post by Sprocket »

immortal wrote:wkohler, cek and Kyle in NO. It's no coincidence you all commented on my last post, some like my self would call it trolling. But to each their own. Anyway, I'm not sure if you are moderators or feel the need to be (judging by your abnormally high post count), but none of you have said anything relevant to a prospective buyer. The pictures of the car speaks greater lengths than any of your words. I've had multiple people contact me with inquiries, which is what any serious buyer will be doing. Last time I checked this is the for sale section, not the blog about my opinions and tire kick section I digressed, Anyway...

wkohler, I understand you're the big guy on campus, but 'because it was made for the Japanese market' is not a sufficient nor correct answer. I could waste my time here, but it's irrelevant to the sale of my car as it's already been stated.

It is the DC89, one of a little over two-thousand LHD/Auto catalyst and non-catyslst version. However, I've handled this is the actual inquiry section. You all should know this though because this isn't the first time you have seen this car now huh?

But it's a free country, I'll let you three stooges blog away!

Immortal,

I am a fairly new member here. I have owned many of the major marquis and follow other forums.

This forum is by far the most knowledgeable and informative of them all. With this comes a lot of personality, and blunt responses based upon experience. Example: CEK blasted me in a PM regarding shipping on a motor purchase.... I still enjoy his restoration threads, and have learned from them. Oldskool is brilliant!

There is so much information here; I always learn something....these guys know BMW's.

The critical feedback will improve your listings elsewhere. Their responses are direct as they have learned from experience... there is far too much BS in most listings.

You have a very nice, and unique car. Leverage the feedback to increase your selling price.

I wish you the best in your selling efforts. However, arguing here is make you the forum Sisyphus.....
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I think the easiest thing to do here is quote the M Registry as we can all accept that the information there is 100% correct as it has been thoroughly researched. Then people won't have to take my word for it.
DC89 (LHD catalyst, automatic): 1,140 produced from 03/1985 through 09/1987 NOTE: Japanese market only
Of course, they could be wrong on this. But they're not.

That said, you've shown yourself to be the expert on the E28, so you're obviously right.

Naturally anything anyone says other than "I'll take it" doesn't fall within "say what you want" and my initial post in this thread was to answer Charlie's question - correctly, I might add.

You should take some time to learn about the car you are selling. You should also add it to the registry.

http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=6
Kyle in NO

Post by Kyle in NO »

I love it when sellers have no idea what they are selling.
immortal

Post by immortal »

I love it when "experts" short a production date by two years and are confused as to how there is a catalyst-low compression version... Ya'll are literally reading off of the registry!!! I've learned nothing today, I did 7 months ago though. It's sad to see the demeanor on this forum, definitely a good amount of negative comments that are not warranted. Maybe it's the Baby Boomer-Gen X culture as I can tell there are not millennials here, nor will there be if you keep that up. I would not recommend this to any future euro guys I encounter.

Kyle in NO wrote:I love it when sellers have no idea what they are selling.
Kyle in NO

Post by Kyle in NO »

Sounds like a good plan, kimosabe.
white chocolate

Post by white chocolate »

I'm a millennial, unfortunately. I've also been visiting this site for years.

Neat car, I like the black on black, the M535i is a pretty unique car if you ask me.

I think if the market continues, these, along with the other more sought after trim levels, won't be getting any cheaper, obviously.

GLWS!

Edit: I'm a dumb millennial and definitely thought the car was blue.
Ralph in SoCal

Post by Ralph in SoCal »

Not much has changed with the under hood pictures apart from the replacement insulation.

How did you (OP) get that car to run on one taped-up bell housing reference sensor?

The accelerator cable noodle is still holding up after all these years so I guess there's no need to replace that.

I think I'm the King of Frugal but at least I source the correct parts, in good condition, to replace anything that awful.

Ralph
immortal

Post by immortal »

You're correct. I invest all my money into the my MKV R32. Full fluid flush and insulation was all I've done, I've been 150 miles away from the car at school... Like I said, this is my first BMW and I was told to not let anyone work on this car that isn't certified experienced BMW mechanic... As for the taped up bell housing, I agree it's sketchy. It starts first try to runs strong. I've been hard pressed to find something that requires immediate attention, in addition to not being able to source cheap parts. Ebay and UK were dissapointing to say the least. I don't have the inclination to do many of the things I'd like to do, this is the first m30 I've ever seen. This car is for sale, I'm not trying to work on it now, I'm too busy atm. I'm 22 and just accepted a full time job which requires relocation, many of you are "seasoned" and have that time... I'm not going to keep investing money in a car I won't have down the road. Thanks for your constructive feedback Ralph.
Ralph in SoCal wrote:Not much has changed with the under hood pictures apart from the replacement insulation.

How did you (OP) get that car to run on one taped-up bell housing reference sensor?

The accelerator cable noodle is still holding up after all these years so I guess there's no need to replace that.

I think I'm the King of Frugal but at least I source the correct parts, in good condition, to replace anything that awful.

Ralph

-- Added Jun 05, 2016 1:45 PM --

Thanks man, good to see some young blood. I've looked at the Arctic and Royal Blue Metallic look terrible imo. Big fan of the Polaris and Salmon Silver Metallic. I really like you're color, great photography as well man.

white chocolate wrote:I'm a millennial, unfortunately. I've also been visiting this site for years.

Neat car, I like the black on black, the M535i is a pretty unique car if you ask me.

I think if the market continues, these, along with the other more sought after trim levels, won't be getting any cheaper, obviously.

GLWS!

Edit: I'm a dumb millennial and definitely thought the car was blue.
Ralph in SoCal

Post by Ralph in SoCal »

immortal wrote:You're correct. I invest all my money into the my MKV R32. Full fluid flush and insulation was all I've done, I've been 150 miles away from the car at school... Like I said, this is my first BMW and I was told to not let anyone work on this car that isn't certified experienced BMW mechanic... As for the taped up bell housing, I agree it's sketchy. It starts first try to runs strong. I've been hard pressed to find something that requires immediate attention, in addition to not being able to source cheap parts. Ebay and UK were dissapointing to say the least. I don't have the inclination to do many of the things I'd like to do, this is the first m30 I've ever seen. This car is for sale, I'm not trying to work on it now, I'm too busy atm. I'm 22 and just accepted a full time job which requires relocation, many of you are "seasoned" and have that time... I'm not going to keep investing money in a car I won't have down the road. Thanks for your constructive feedback Ralph.
Ralph in SoCal wrote:Not much has changed with the under hood pictures apart from the replacement insulation.

Ralph
Let me try to explain better. Your pics show deferred maintenance on some very minor items. The general feeling with the population of this forum is that minor deferred maintenance indicates MAJOR deferred maintenance. The really seasoned members here see right through the shiny and pretty outside of the car when they see ANY deferred maintenance. You already tried to flip this car some time ago and you retreated, fixed a couple of cosmetic issues and you are now again trying to market this car as something near perfect. I see the problems and so do many others. This community watches out for the entire population of this community so when a car (or part) is presented to be something it is not then the community speaks out. Taking the constructive feedback and lashing out will not help you sell the car here. You will only receive further criticism that will further erode the value of your sale. Take my advice as you will but it really doesn't matter to me. I just know that other members here will be more aware of things to look for, and look at, when anything is presented for sale.

As with a recent conversation I had with another member here - if I can see lots of warts in the pictures, what will I see when I'm on top of, and underneath, the car?

Kyle, Chris and others really don't care about what your course of action is either. They are simply informing the forum population of what they see. And what they KNOW!! BTW GLWTS.

Ralph
white chocolate

Post by white chocolate »

immortal wrote:
-- Added Jun 05, 2016 1:45 PM --

Thanks man, good to see some young blood. I've looked at the Arctic and Royal Blue Metallic look terrible imo. Big fan of the Polaris and Salmon Silver Metallic. I really like you're color, great photography as well man.

Thanks man.

Also, listen to these guys. The wealth of knowledge is staggering, and they use it to keep this place and a lot of the E28 community honest. I haven't met many of them in person, but I did sell Kholer some parts, and he stood around and listen to me ramble for a good three hours. That's no small feat.
immortal

Post by immortal »

Ralph, you saying you don't care is definitely contradicted by how hard you are beating this dead animal. Say what you will, but don't ask my why this or that hasn't been done because that has been addressed more than once. I have apologized more than once about wrongly rating my car, so again I'm sorry. This car is for sale, there will be no more money invested. It was great to see the influx of PMs from other members with kind words, always encouraging to see the light.
Ralph in SoCal wrote:
immortal wrote:You're correct. I invest all my money into the my MKV R32. Full fluid flush and insulation was all I've done, I've been 150 miles away from the car at school... Like I said, this is my first BMW and I was told to not let anyone work on this car that isn't certified experienced BMW mechanic... As for the taped up bell housing, I agree it's sketchy. It starts first try to runs strong. I've been hard pressed to find something that requires immediate attention, in addition to not being able to source cheap parts. Ebay and UK were dissapointing to say the least. I don't have the inclination to do many of the things I'd like to do, this is the first m30 I've ever seen. This car is for sale, I'm not trying to work on it now, I'm too busy atm. I'm 22 and just accepted a full time job which requires relocation, many of you are "seasoned" and have that time... I'm not going to keep investing money in a car I won't have down the road. Thanks for your constructive feedback Ralph.

Ralph
Let me try to explain better. Your pics show deferred maintenance on some very minor items. The general feeling with the population of this forum is that minor deferred maintenance indicates MAJOR deferred maintenance. The really seasoned members here see right through the shiny and pretty outside of the car when they see ANY deferred maintenance. You already tried to flip this car some time ago and you retreated, fixed a couple of cosmetic issues and you are now again trying to market this car as something near perfect. I see the problems and so do many others. This community watches out for the entire population of this community so when a car (or part) is presented to be something it is not then the community speaks out. Taking the constructive feedback and lashing out will not help you sell the car here. You will only receive further criticism that will further erode the value of your sale. Take my advice as you will but it really doesn't matter to me. I just know that other members here will be more aware of things to look for, and look at, when anything is presented for sale.

As with a recent conversation I had with another member here - if I can see lots of warts in the pictures, what will I see when I'm on top of, and underneath, the car?

Kyle, Chris and others really don't care about what your course of action is either. They are simply informing the forum population of what they see. And what they KNOW!! BTW GLWTS.

Ralph
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

immortal wrote:I invest all my money into the my MKV R32.

I'm not going to keep investing money in a car I won't have down the road.
Well there you have it. This E28 is going to plummet down the steep slide to worthlessness as the money is put into a modern vehicle that loses money with each day/mile. A bit of money thrown at the e28 would raise its value, remove some questions folks have and possibly get this hunk of metal out of your way and into someone else's driveway/garage. But you can continue letting this car lose value as the prices on the nice examples keeps rising. Most folks selling items of significant value do a little housekeeping before putting the item on the market.

Good Luck.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I think that if the OP spent $500 in the right places, he could justify his asking price. Of course, insulting his audience and the statement of not putting money into a car he won't have show he's a proper enthusiast, so maybe addressing issues isn't necessary. I do hope that he didn't actually have flushes done of the various fluids - especially the transmission. They don't like that.