E34 550iT....The Gristle Hammer

Post your photos and videos here!
slammin_e28

E34 550iT....The Gristle Hammer

Post by slammin_e28 »

So, this is about as close to a build thread as we're gonna get here.

My e34 535iT had been tossing up the oil pressure light regularly. Sitting in a drivethru, OH HAI! Sitting at a stop light, OH HAI!

So I pulled that engine out on March.

About the same time I got fed up with the 750iL.

So this happened:

It was around this time that I was informed that the engine bays of the e32 and the e34 are the same. I measured....they are. The extra legnth of the e32 is in the core support. The extra width in the tops of the fenders. The e34 engine bay actually has MORE cubic room than the e32 because of the shape of the strut towers.

This in mind, I began removing e34 bits and replacing them with e32 bits. First was the brake booster. The hydrobooster went in it's place. I deleted the ABS because it would be a total dick mission to get to work. It didn't work on the e34 anyway....even though the lights were all off and everything seemed fine.

While doing this, I had the engine on a cart and I resealed the top end. new valve seals, etc. I'd already been through the things when it was in the 7. Oil pan gaskets, valve cover gaskets, intake mani gasket-gaskets....etc. New plugs, coils and distributor caps that weren't from 1988. All the ignition shit was original except the plugs. They were all Autolite....well....11 were. #12 was a OE bosch. About 1/3 of the Autolite plugs were hand tight to. Brilliant.

Anywho, got the engine all sealed up and clean....

These things are brilliant to work on. The forethought that went into them. I'm glad they have the bad stigma....I LOVE them.

So, after that and getting the brakes working on the touring, it was time to set the engine in place.

This was probably middle to late April? I can't remember. It's all a blur. Got all the electronics hooked up, put oil in it, and it fired up on the first crank. I literally jumped up and down like a little kid, clapping my hands and giggling. It was spectacular.

More work work work, got the cooling system squared away. The e32 firewall had a box set back into it for the heater hoses. The e34 does not. So It's tight there. Had to trim the hoses a bit. I got the LAST coolant overflow hose in North America, and 1 of 3 expansion tank hoses. Cooling system done, I focused on the accessory mounts. I used a spot weld drill and removed them all carefully from the 7. I then bolted them in to the accessories......air boxes, oil filter housing, PS res and distribution block, washer fluid res. Marked where the spot welds went, removed it all, ground the paint off, re-installed, and tacked them in. Done. After this I could pop the hood and front end back on.

So, it's running. Yay. Now I had to make an exhaust. So I did. It's using the stock exhaust down to the downpipes. They are two conjoined pipes for each bank. I merged them into two, 3" pipes, then thru a Y into one, 3" pipe all the way back to a Vibrant muffler with dual 3" outlets. It's a beautiful sound.

Then I was dicking with getting the clutch setup done....yadda yadda....It's a VAC S62 flywheel and OE clutch, with a 25mm flywheel spacer to account for the transmission adapter so the 420G could fit. It's tight, spaced back like that....but it works. Shift linkage and driveshaft was modified as needed. It's all perfect. I owe Paul SOOOO many thanks for making the flywheel adapter, taking time out of his own v12 project to help with mine,. Also for supplying the transmission and the adapter for the 420g to M70.

I installed the driveline Friday morning, drove it for the first time at 3pm Friday the 20th of May....then left for Asheville, NC around 4:30. Pic was just before leaving the shop:

Made it no problem to the Vintage at 11:30pm.

Hooned around, showed off the car, and drove home that Sunday. Here's some pics I snapped in the driveway a few minutes ago after playing with the car today....

All I have to say in conclusion is:

There's still some tweaking to do, but all in all it's together and it's quick. I'll keep updated as things happen....but yeah....I did a swap and drove it. Suck it v8 e30.
oldskool

Re: E34 550iT....The Gristle Hammer

Post by oldskool »

I. Must. Have. One.
Always in awe of you mad scientists. And the leather pants you wear.
Tammer in Philly

Post by Tammer in Philly »

Bad ass. Nice work!!
white chocolate

Post by white chocolate »

It looks like it belongs in there, if I didn't know any better, I would think it is a factory setup from here.

Awesome!
86GT635

Post by 86GT635 »

hell ya duderino. pix of the flywheel adapter stat.

I'm in shock, you make it look so easy lol. I need one in the 6.
Mark 88/M5 Houston

Post by Mark 88/M5 Houston »

Very,very nice job!!!
fastcrs

Post by fastcrs »

This thing is bitchin! :up:
Das_Prachtstrasse

Post by Das_Prachtstrasse »

Nice, Jeff. Nice. If the B35 ever lets go in my iS.. this is happening.
muleskinner

Post by muleskinner »

I bet that bad boy scoots!

And from where "the Gristle Hammer" pray tell?
slammin_e28

Post by slammin_e28 »

Hehe, thanks guys! Again, it wouldn't have been possible without Paul.....It'd just be another one of my half baked projects sitting in the lot at work.

muleskinner wrote:I bet that bad boy scoots!

And from where "the Gristle Hammer" pray tell?
A guy at work brought it up. It's a euphemism for a certain part of the male anatomy. The term, as far as he knows, originates from a book by Mark Manning (Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Reaction). I love to get plates that push the boundary of what should get thru the DMV. This did....so the car was dubbed The Gristle Hammer.
slammin_e28

Post by slammin_e28 »

Here's some vids of starting and revving it, with and without exhaust. Tried to get some driving vids, but they got botched....it's a shame....were some good opportunities in the mountains of Western NC/Eastern TN....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJSQLKXHfF0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5xNTaryK24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJeYjovca_g
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

I can't stop laughing at your window stickers. Peasant!!

What a fantastic project, nicely done.
dsmith

Post by dsmith »

Perfect build. My wife was drawn to it and approved (loves wagons). Maybe she just liked the license plate and was very relaxed after the spa treatment and massage.
MicahO

Post by MicahO »

Outstanding job and great execution. It's easy to say the engine bays are the same size, but the job you did surpasses that simple description. The engine looks like it was put there at the factory. And it sounds oh-so-juicy.

Have to get a ride in it someday!
slammin_e28

Post by slammin_e28 »

This is the only drive by that came out. Had a couple others but they all got botched. :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcPTuv__Z5g
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

Mad props; that is an awesome looking swap. And you make it all sound so easy. :bow:
cek

Post by cek »

Slammin deserves to be a good guy in the next Marvel movie.
Das_Prachtstrasse

Post by Das_Prachtstrasse »

NOISE
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

:up:

I have to say I'm a bit jealous. Very cool.
kzolee

Post by kzolee »

This is a way too cool. Awesome build, the perfect touring.
mooseheadm5
Beamter
Beamter

Post by mooseheadm5 »

1AM spacer fabrication.

I hate that some of the prettiest things that go into these sorts of swaps are often hidden.
offroadkarter

Post by offroadkarter »

Next up, find a wrecked e31 and stuff the S70B56 in your touring.

I'm actually really impressed with how at home that V12 looks in the engine bay.

What made you go with a S62 flywheel/clutch? I've seen a few e39 M5 guys go with a E31 850csi flywheel/clutch to ditch the dual mass flywheel ordeal.
mooseheadm5
Beamter
Beamter

Post by mooseheadm5 »

E31 clutches are hideously expensive.
offroadkarter

Post by offroadkarter »

mooseheadm5 wrote:E31 clutches are hideously expensive.

thats a good reason in itself
slammin_e28

Post by slammin_e28 »

That, and I had the VAC S62 LTW flywheel. I just had to dig it out of the v8 e30s internals.

Sacrifices were made....but this, IMO, is way cooler than a M60'd e30.