The 535i build thread. 302 swap

Post your photos and videos here!
BDKawey

Re: The 535i build thread. 302 swap

Post by BDKawey »

Whatisthat wrote:Yes. If a battery is completely dead a alone jumper might not be suffecient enough to start or run the car.

Especially if its one of those portable jumper boxes. They are known to have poor CCA and voltage consistancy.
its one that you plug into a wall, its pretty beefy. its always done the trick despite not seeing any charge except for when ive had it hooked up to start. but duly noted. ill have it checked tomorrow since i dont get home from school until after the parts store closes :?

i have a package from summit racing waiting on me :D
Whatisthat

Post by Whatisthat »

Christmas in march! Lol
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

made it to advance just after they closed, luckily im friends with the closer and he still let me test the battery. 2.83 v and 0 CCA :rofl: I left it there to have charged and tested today and its looking like thats what the problem was.

guess i was just over thinking what the issue could be. these cars get crazy when they have bad batteries and alternators.
Whatisthat

Post by Whatisthat »

Called it lol
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

just threw me off with how the central locking was acting up, made me think fuse 5 was causing a problem
Whatisthat

Post by Whatisthat »

Fuses are solid state. On or off. The only things to act up would be relays, shorted wires or battery.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

turned out the battery was still good, just needed a charging. feeling like a noob. but im always jumping to conclusions
EventuallyAyrton
Location: Wherever the E28 happens to be parked- Morrisville, NY

Post by EventuallyAyrton »

That's the best kind of problem. A simple easy fix
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

EventuallyAyrton wrote:That's the best kind of problem. A simple easy fix
a free fix :D
EventuallyAyrton

BDKawey wrote:
EventuallyAyrton wrote:That's the best kind of problem. A simple easy fix
a free fix :D
The fix that's free is the fix for me!
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

so right now the only things left to do are
-throttle cable
-coolant lines
-mount/wire radiator fans
-make transmission mount
-measure and get driveshaft made/install
-preload and tighten new suspension

im welding my diff while its out as well. with a one piece driveshaft the diff has to come out in order to put the driveshaft in.

hoping this can get wrapped up in the next 2-3 weeks. ive been pretty slow with this thing. heres a current bay pic though
ImageUntitled by Aaron Wey, on Flickr
Last edited by BDKawey on Mar 21, 2016 8:21 AM, edited 2 times in total.
Whatisthat

Post by Whatisthat »

Looks nice. I have to update my build thread. Finall have my 78' nova m30 turbo manifold built.
Bigdoug92

Post by Bigdoug92 »

I remember seeing this thing as SOWO! Whats the chance your going down to european experience this May down in Savanna Ga?
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

Bigdoug92 wrote:I remember seeing this thing as SOWO! Whats the chance your going down to european experience this May down in Savanna Ga?
I would say not likely, not a lot of my friends go to shows that far away anymore. Its hard to drive that far by yourself. Plus thats so soon, im sure this thing will need some kinks worked out before its ready to go that far.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

Whats everyones opinion on these? T_C_D's car for reference.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/103993266@N05/48cwWp

Picked up the same bbs ch in 17x8.5 over the weekend for only 640 bucks. Was likely going to run them on the bmw as my everyday wheels.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/103993266@N05/0Yrwpk
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

semi large build update here.

upper rad hose with in line filler and 2 12" ebay radiator fan wired to come on with the key on accessories.

lower radiator hose, with the water pump dumping at an angle to the wrong side it makes it difficult to bring it around and miss the harmonic balancer. picked out two hoses at the parts store and unioned them together.

heres some photos of the mounts using hockey pucks for semi solid mounts.

picked up an old school reed manufacturing vice and was able to finally get a crossmember made along with the hydraulic handbrake mounted.

here you can kinda see how high the transmission really has to sit in order for the starter to clear the idler arm when turning. this has become an issue now because the transmission sits so high that i had to cut out the factory ebrake mount in order to gain some more room in the driveshaft tunnel.

also picked up these random brand racing seats when i happened to be in Philadelphia and they were for sale. $150

EventuallyAyrton

Finally! I've been waiting for so long. I think those wheels don't look bad at all. They'll fit a drift car perfectly. I love the hydraulic handbrake and the hockey pucks. Best part yet. It looks good! :up: :up:
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

EventuallyAyrton wrote:Finally! I've been waiting for so long. I think those wheels don't look bad at all. They'll fit a drift car perfectly. I love the hydraulic handbrake and the hockey pucks. Best part yet. It looks good! :up: :up:
thank you, looking for some cheap local oem wheels for some drift spares, eventually ill get some tires ordered for the CH's and theyll be the regular wheels i run.

diff came out last night to be welded and my driveshaft parts are likely going to get dropped off at the driveshaft shop tomorrow.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

Bored at work, diff is welded, driveshaft is done and im picking it up at the shop later today, brakes are bled with new front calipers and the handbrake installed.

currently working a clutch issue with my hydraulic throwout bearing not moving far enough to push the pressure plate enough to disengage the clutch. i wont be installing my driveshaft or diff until this is sorted.

hoping it just needs bled some more, ive heard these can be a real pita to bleed. i have the required master cylinder bore but dont know that required stroke or what stroke the stock mc even has.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

maybe someone can help me out, for the life of me i cannot get the clutch to disengage and its really holding back the project. The throwout bearing requires a 3/4 MC which we all have. i have it bled seemingly all the way and it still wont disengage. i shimmed the throwout bearing even closer to the fingers and still not enough.

the pedal returns all but maybe like a quarter to a half inch which shouldnt happen right? if its bled right everything thats forced out by the master should be there to force it all the way back? or is it because at that point its off the pressure plate and theres nothing to help send it back?
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

post update of ranting and me getting shit on.

So i was completely unaware that when a car is still in the air (drive wheels off the ground) that the wheels (or in my case the output shaft on the tranny since my driveshaft isnt in) will still spin since the clutch still makes slight contact with the flywheel. so this whole time ive been looking at my output shaft expecting it to not be spinning. so this whole time my clutch may have been working just fine.

well i pull my tranny out to investigate something and i discover my bearing retainer had completely broken off from the base where it mounts to the transmission, email jegs and they send me a new one. i then discovered that i never put the old tapered roller bearing cup into the new bearing retainer. get my new retainer and i go to shim/preload the bearing and i realize it doesnt even fit... wtf

turns out i have a "world class" t5 transmission.. which i didnt order my hydraulic throwout bearing setup for so the retainer is different. I can however machine a stock world class retainer to have the proper diameter to slide my throwout bearing on.

while checking what kind of transmission i actually have I also discover that is a t5 from a 4 cylinder thunderbird... which i didnt know when i bought and installed my clutch. so my pilot bearing is .078" bigger than my input shaft which is a no go.

so now i might have to pull the motor to put a 85 ranger diesel pilot bearing. im going to napa tomorrow to see if we can find some kind of shim that can make up the difference. im having such good luck :brickwall:
Last edited by BDKawey on Apr 05, 2018 8:49 AM, edited 3 times in total.
Germz

Post by Germz »

thats so frustrating. i hope it all gets sorted out man, i cant wait to see this thing in action.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

Germz wrote:thats so frustrating. i hope it all gets sorted out man, i cant wait to see this thing in action.
I'm thinking i might be able to get my bellhousing off by loosening the motor mounts and tipping the motor back. currently one of the bell housing bolts is nearly jammed against the firewall because its so far back. im gonna give it a shot tonight.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

Updates! i dont always have the biggest most detailed updates but im just more in the garage than i am on the desktop.

dont know if anyone here is a skateboarder but I invested a good deal of time away from the car to help a friend build this epic barn mini ramp

got the transmission bearnig retainer machined to the proper 1.37" diameter. which is required for using the jegs hydraulic throwout bearing on a world class transmission

all back together with the tranny bearing preloaded with no shaft play :cool:
peep the homemade gold stud that keep the throwout bearing from spinning haha

got the transmission, driveshaft and diff in
https://www.flickr.com/photos/103993266 ... res/T754v3

tomorrow im changing the centerlink, add coolant, and head over to a friends pit to preload the suspension as soon as i can.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

little update, drove the car the other day but it has since started running like poop. i suspect its fouled plugs from imperfect timing, it randomly misses.
painted my intake and throttle body

moved the battery to the trunk, this was when it started running badly. already checked and cleaned all my grounds and contacts, so that shouldnt be the issue.
and my trunk mounted bottle opener :laugh: