If you're running an A/A IC....

Discussion pertaining to positive pressure E28s.
Bill in MN

If you're running an A/A IC....

Post by Bill in MN »

I did a lot of experimenting with my TCD setup. One of the most beneficial things I did was to flip the TB, clock the turbo outlet into the 6 position and route all the charge air UNDER the engine. It requires the engine mount be trimmed to allow the outlet cover to rotate but that's easily done with a handheld grinder. I put that thing through hell and there was never an issue with the "modified" mount.

Granted, my chassis is a bit hacked up but I was looking at it the other day and it may be possible to do this to a "normal" e28. In a nutshell the charge air goes from the outlet, into the IC on the pass. side, out the drivers side and up to the TB. It gets everything down into cool air, makes pulling the valve cover a snap and really cleans things up. It made a significant difference in IAT's

marc79euro645

Re: If you're running an A/A IC....

Post by marc79euro645 »

I really like your setup! Mine is the m102 induction and has to be dismantled to check the plugs.
nice job
marc
George

Post by George »

Two questions:

Do you have pictures of the hotside routing? I'm having trouble understanding where this is routed with the TCD set-up. Is it under the subframe or over the subrame but under the mount?

Did you use shop-vac hose on the intake? :laugh:
vandiesel

Post by vandiesel »

More pics please. If you can shoot some of the IC mounting that would be great.
Bill in MN

Post by Bill in MN »

The entire front of my car was cut off with a sawzall and I started over so this isn't exactly apples/apples. The radiator was dropped 6" in the chassis and anything that wasn't structurally necessary was cut out. I do think that with a little creativity this could be done on a stock chassis.

The outlet tucks in nicely underneath the engine mount.

Getting the piping to fit was pretty straighforward

I cut the upper rear corner of the engine mount to make room for the compressor housing. Even with 3 bolts it withstood far more punishment than any street car would ever see. At the time I did this it was well in excess of 350hp and metric shitload of Tq.. I figured the mount would break but it never happened.

A little trick for getting more coolant to 5 and 6. The b30 (or b28, I forget) blocks had something similar in their castings. Why they did away with it??
Last edited by Bill in MN on Jan 06, 2015 7:53 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Bill in MN

Post by Bill in MN »

Here's the IC.

Again, this is nowhere near a stock setup but I've certainly seen IC's in front of the radiator before, just not as low in the chassis.
KrautnotRice

Post by KrautnotRice »

Bill in MN wrote:
Wow that's clean! Looks lovely
JonE30

Post by JonE30 »

Bill in MN wrote: A little trick for getting more coolant to 5 and 6. The b30 (or b28, I forget) blocks had something similar in their castings. Why they did away with it??

Can you shed a little more light on this? I've seen a few people mention it and I know Paul mentioned it in the block development thread.
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Reference the BMW M90 engine (used in E12 M535i)
There is there a long, raised coolant passage on the driver's side, which is the only reliable way to tell an M90 block. The stock M30 one is a few inches long, the M90 one runs 2/3rds of the block length and sometimes has a big L drawn on it. 3.5 block stamping is not reliable.

JonE30

Post by JonE30 »

tschultz wrote:Reference the BMW M90 engine (used in E12 M535i)
There is there a long, raised coolant passage on the driver's side, which is the only reliable way to tell an M90 block. The stock M30 one is a few inches long, the M90 one runs 2/3rds of the block length and sometimes has a big L drawn on it. 3.5 block stamping is not reliable.
That picture doesn't really show a whole lot besides the plumbing. Does that tube tie in to the block in the back right there next to the water jacket?
Bill in MN

Post by Bill in MN »

Yep. I drilled a hole in the block between the two bores, tapped it out and installed a brass elbow. That block is not in storage right now so when I get to it I'll take some more pics.
turbodan

Post by turbodan »

JonE30 wrote:
tschultz wrote:Reference the BMW M90 engine (used in E12 M535i)
That picture doesn't really show a whole lot besides the plumbing. Does that tube tie in to the block in the back right there next to the water jacket?
Look at the side of the block. Below the metal tube. There is a raised portion of the casting that travels toward the back. Has most of an uppercase L visible in white paint and a freeze plug at the end of it.
foolish

Post by foolish »

I just realized that I have looked at these pics a bunch of times but never considered what the hoses are that go to the intake where the TB used to be? Also, it looks like one of the old vacuum ports on the bottom has coolant in a clear hose? What am I seeing?
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

On most M90's, the car ran on L-jet and had a coolant line running to the throttle body, presumable for heating and to prevent icing. Maybe it was related to the Aux air valve (cold idle air).

1981 M90's did not have the raised water passage on the side of the block, nor did they have these same coolant hoses/ fuel rail. It was all very similar to Motronic 533/633 instead.