e24/e28 sway bar bracket kits

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
akluminus

Post by akluminus »

All,

The first batch is ready now! Here is what is up for grabs:

1. Front sway bar bracket replacement kit - $60 / ea.

This is new brackets, bushings, and all hardware needed to replace both OEM front brackets. You will not be able to use the OEM bushings after installation as the factory mounts are replaced. Automatic transmission owners would have to relocate the transmission cooler lines, as the bracket they are mounted to on the frame rail needs to be removed for clearance. Note that the photo shows bushings with greasable zerk fittings. I think these are unnecessary and in a position where they could be broke off, and so the shipped units won't have them.

2. Rear sway bar bracket reinforcement kit - $30 / ea.

These are additions to the existing rear bracket to reinforce it. Use your own bushings. I've become aware than some early 533i chassis, and possibly early 633 CSi, use a different rear sway bar mount. The above parts only work with sway bar mounts for later models that look like this:

Installation will require metal working tools, a grinder and a welder at a minimum. Preferably a die grinder (smaller cutoff disks). For safety, the rear fuel tank needs to be dropped to install the rears.

In the interest of being fully up front, these have been in test on my car for the last several months, which is not a lot of time. However, I've had no issues, and the design approach isn't very complicated. The fronts are constructed out of 10 gauge (bit thicker than 1/8"), and the rears out of 12 gauge. I'll stand behind them, if they are welded in properly.

Shipping will be:

Rear only, up to 5 sets: $6
Single front and rear, or just front: $6
Multiple front and/or rear sets: $12

Will be shipped USPS Priority Mail. For now, please use PayPal to aaron@limitedslip.net with your address, quantites, and if fronts, your front sway bar diameter (22mm for ST bars, 25mm for m5 bars). Other diameters are possible, but these common ones will be stocked.
Last edited by akluminus on Nov 13, 2013 2:17 AM, edited 6 times in total.
mooseheadm5
Beamter
Beamter

Post by mooseheadm5 »

Two sets of rears for me, please.
akluminus

Post by akluminus »

It got awfully quiet in here all the sudden. Did I put anyone off with the price point? I believe the front kit comes in under what the no longer available m5 setup would cost.

Or maybe everyone else, like me, is busy with day jobs making money for turbo parts and such? :)

Here are pics of the prototypes:

Fronts:

Primary change will be a bit less metal (fingers instead of a solid piece). I don't think the greaseable brackets are worth the cost given that they aren't hard to service, and you probably should use better grease for this application than you'd find in grease gun form.

Rears:

Primary change will be a bit heavier metal, and the back piece won't have the small tabs (they don't contribute to the reinforcement).

I'm hoping to post updated pictures next week.
Frybrid 524td

Post by Frybrid 524td »

I'll buy a set for the rear.
harrypalmer

Post by harrypalmer »

Totally interested in both, front and rear.

I m looking to install a OEM M5 sway bar diameter 25mm (under my '86 535i 5 speed) with the OEM brass bracket and OEM rubber bushing at the front. Therefore:

1. Does your Front sway bar bracket replacement kit come with everything seen in the picture to fit my M5 purpose? I honestly don't understand your comment "You will not be able to use OEM bushings after installation".

2. Will your Rear sway bar bracket reinforcement kit affect in any way the already installed 18mm OEM M5 sway bar and appropriate 18mm rubber OEM bushing? Or will I need to replace anything if I order your rear kit?

Thank you.

P.S. Thank you Paul @ Mooseheadm5 for linking me here!
akluminus

Re: e24/e28 sway bar bracket kits

Post by akluminus »

harrypalmer wrote: I m looking to install a OEM M5 sway bar diameter 25mm (under my '86 535i 5 speed) with the OEM brass bracket and OEM rubber bushing at the front. Therefore:

1. Does your Front sway bar bracket replacement kit come with everything seen in the picture to fit my M5 purpose? I honestly don't understand your comment "You will not be able to use OEM bushings after installation".
Yes, everything included/shown. I should have changed the wording slightly: you won't need to use any of the OEM parts, as the old mounting provisions are removed in favor of this part. Any diameter bar within reason can be used, where as previously you had to use the m5 bar with the OEM m5 hardware.
harrypalmer wrote: 2. Will your Rear sway bar bracket reinforcement kit affect in any way the already installed 18mm OEM M5 sway bar and appropriate 18mm rubber OEM bushing? Or will I need to replace anything if I order your rear kit?
Nope, it is non-interfering with the existing bushing and bar. Just adds additional material to reinforce the bracket connections to the frame.
harrypalmer

Re: e24/e28 sway bar bracket kits

Post by harrypalmer »

akluminus wrote:Yes, everything included/shown
If that's the case, I'll buy both, one Front kit and one Rear kit. Please include the screws and wave washers as well (it was not mentioned but I will need them too.)

Thank you for clarifying it for me.
akluminus

Post by akluminus »

Yep, the front hardware is M10 grade 8.8 screws with flat washers. Lock washers are of marginal/debatable effectiveness, I generally recommend using Loctite blue and torquing properly.
harrypalmer

!

Post by harrypalmer »

akluminus wrote:Yep, the front hardware is M10 grade 8.8 screws with flat washers. Lock washers are of marginal/debatable effectiveness, I generally recommend using Loctite blue and torquing properly.
Cool, glad to know! I'll be ready $ when you are! Thank you!
akluminus

Post by akluminus »

Updated first post with pictures of actual kits, shipping, and payment information.

I'll be able to full fill orders through next week. The front sway bar bushings that I just received were the wrong ones. If you're interested in rears, they'll go out Monday or Tuesday at the lastest. If you want fronts and/or rears, they'll go out Friday when the correct front sway bar bushings get in.

After Friday, I'll be unable to put orders together due to some travel. But will be available via this site and email if anything comes up.
harrypalmer

Post by harrypalmer »

[quote="akluminus"]Updated first post with pictures of actual kits, shipping, and payment information.

Aaron kindly please email me Paypal invoice for one front and one rear kit. If you incurr in Paypal fees I'll gladly pay for them. I'll PM you my email next. Thank you!
95maxrider

Post by 95maxrider »

I'm pretty sure I'll be buying F&R kits, thanks for making these!!!

I have the 22mm ST front, 18mm M5 rear bars on my car. You said the kit includes new front bushings- I take it this is because of the different bracket design? Which bushings (brand/material) are included with the kit?
akluminus

Post by akluminus »

Yes, because of the different bracket. By expanding the size of the bracket instead of replicating the m5 setup, we can use larger bushings for the 1" bar - no more skinny bushings like this:

Polyurethane bushings and brackets are sourced from Energy Suspension - so changing your bar diameter in the future is easy. The range of available bar diameters for this bracket go up to 1 3/8"
Frybrid 524td

Post by Frybrid 524td »

Payment sent for rear set.

You may want to ask a beamter to move this to the FS subforum since it is no longer "tech talk."
akluminus

Post by akluminus »

Thanks! I started another thread there, but now have this two-thread problem. I'm open to moving it, or moving the discussion there.
95maxrider

Post by 95maxrider »

akluminus wrote:Yes, because of the different bracket. By expanding the size of the bracket instead of replicating the m5 setup, we can use larger bushings for the 1" bar - no more skinny bushings like this:

Polyurethane bushings and brackets are sourced from Energy Suspension - so changing your bar diameter in the future is easy. The range of available bar diameters for this bracket go up to 1 3/8"
Ok, so it's not actually the M5 bushing bracket, it's something from ES that allows us to use the fatter bushings (like the M5 brackets) but with the option to choose various sway bar diameters? Sounds awesome!
akluminus

Post by akluminus »

Nope, no BMW parts used or copied. I'm utilizing the Energy Suspension bushings for the polyurethane because they are standard and I don't need to be pouring poly bushings. :) The piece they bolt onto that welds onto the frame is custom (for the front and rear).
akluminus

Post by akluminus »

For future readers of this thread:

Since these are now for sale, please see this thread for more information and payment info:

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=121576

Please direct questions there, thanks!