clongo

BC Racing coilovers have arrived!

Post by clongo »

Came home from work and found this 50lb package waiting for me! :banana:

Removed the box to find another box.

I love the black and gold color scheme.

And more photos of them out of the box.

Pic of the front strut tube brackets.

Notched so it's easy to line them up when welding them on.

These are not available on their website yet. The first shipment won't be in the states for a few more months. You can chose custom spring rates when ordering and they will re valve the struts to the spring rate you choose. Here is some info from the BC Racing website.

BR Type
Our BR model is perfect for street driving and occasional road course duty. With easily accessible adjustment knobs for fine tuning your compression/rebound and separately adjustable ride height, having a performance coilover system couldn't be any easier. You choose how low or high you want your vehicle, no preset ride height here, and our patented concave lower locking ring keeps it locked in. All of our systems come with pillowball mounts to provide the most feedback possible from your suspension and to sharpen your steering response. Available front and rear camber plates also allow you to get the perfect alignment setup without compromise. All this while providing a strong, attractive looking coilover system.

-Mono-tube shock design-

30 levels of damping force adjustment, adjust compression/rebound

Pillowball mounts and adjustable camber plates included (where applicable)-Adjustable rear camber plates available-Separate full length height adjustable-One year warranty-Rebuildable

I will post detailed pics of the install and give you full review of them once installed. I'm really excited to see another coilover option for us E28/E24 owners!
WilNJ

Post by WilNJ »

The few reviews I've read speak well of them. I think they still have a bit of the stink of the asian import scene keeping them from taking hold in the euro market.
ACHTUNG

Post by ACHTUNG »

Fucking a. I called them 5 months ago asking if these were in development and the guy said no. So I went with the Spax kit. Wish I got correct info since I would have waited for them.
shagrath

Post by shagrath »

Fucking awesome.
clongo

Post by clongo »

ACHTUNG wrote:Fucking a. I called them 5 months ago asking if these were in development and the guy said no. So I went with the Spax kit. Wish I got correct info since I would have waited for them.
Sorry to hear that. I have a good friend that used to work for them that helped me get this into production. He also owns a E28 so they did the prototype kit on his car. They literally went into production a few weeks ago. They first shipment won't be stateside for a few months.

Also, I forgot to post the price. They will retail for $1250 with camber plates and your choice of spring rates.
winfred

Post by winfred »

installed a set on a e39 m5 a year or two ago, worked pretty good but the springs started sagging and i had to keep adjusting the system for him to maintain height, before we could nail down a set of replacement springs he got a job offer out of the country, and a couple days before it was time to leave and turn the car over to family he nailed a pothole and the right front piston snapped off of the strut at the point it entered the upper bearing, the impact wasn't enough to damage the wheel or tire so.........now it sits with a collapsed wheel at the shop waiting for another assembly to arrive

the mangled spring and other carnage
ACHTUNG

Post by ACHTUNG »

winfred wrote:installed a set on a e39 m5 a year or two ago, worked pretty good but the springs started sagging and i had to keep adjusting the system for him to maintain height, before we could nail down a set of replacement springs he got a job offer out of the country, and a couple days before it was time to leave and turn the car over to family he nailed a pothole and the right front piston snapped off of the strut at the point it entered the upper bearing, the impact wasn't enough to damage the wheel or tire so.........now it sits with a collapsed wheel at the shop waiting for another assembly to arrive

the mangled spring and other carnage
Ouch!
fastcrs

Post by fastcrs »

:popcorn:
Coldswede
Location: Back U.P. North,. Where the water's blue, the wind is free and seasons four.

Post by Coldswede »

So, just cuz I don't know, what is the advantage of these coil-overs over a fully adjustable set of SPAX (Which is also a coil-over BTW) for street use? :dunno:
skip535i

Post by skip535i »

Coldswede wrote:So, just cuz I don't know, what is the advantage of these coil-overs over a fully adjustable set of SPAX (Which is also a coil-over BTW) for street use? :dunno:
LOOOWWWWW
tsmall07
Beamter
Beamter

Post by tsmall07 »

ACHTUNG wrote:Fucking a. I called them 5 months ago asking if these were in development and the guy said no. So I went with the Spax kit. Wish I got correct info since I would have waited for them.
Why didn't you just get a GC setup?
Niterider03

Post by Niterider03 »

Those look awesome. Please take lots of pics of the install process. Especially the line up and welding of the front struts :D
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I have to say that with those at $1250, I'd rather buy the Ground Control kit which has Koni shocks and Eibach springs with a lifetime warranty on the shocks to the original purchaser. None of it seems to be made in Taiwan, either. I do drive a German car after all.

Good luck with it though!
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Coldswede wrote:So, just cuz I don't know, what is the advantage of these coil-overs over a fully adjustable set of SPAX (Which is also a coil-over BTW) for street use? :dunno:
The Spax dampers are all that's adjustable and they're not fully adjustable (I don't believe these are either). The adjustment knobs affect both rebound and compression in some way. What makes these different is that they have threaded spring perches and you can use any number of 2.5" or 2.25" springs to get the desired height and spring rates necessary.
Tammer in Philly

Post by Tammer in Philly »

wkohler wrote:I have to say that with those at $1250, I'd rather buy the Ground Control kit which has Koni shocks and Eibach springs with a lifetime warranty on the shocks to the original purchaser. None of it seems to be made in Taiwan, either. I do drive a German car after all.

+1. BC has been a mainstay of the "hard parker" E36 scene for a while. They go great with headlight eyebrows and lime green wheel centers, but not so great with actual driving.

-tammer
clongo

Post by clongo »

wkohler wrote:I have to say that with those at $1250, I'd rather buy the Ground Control kit which has Koni shocks and Eibach springs with a lifetime warranty on the shocks to the original purchaser. None of it seems to be made in Taiwan, either. I do drive a German car after all.

I can see where some people would be inclined to go that route. What most people don't realize is BC Racing is one of the largest coilover manufacturers in the world. They are built and engineered in Taiwan. They are also the largest manufacturer of private label coilovers in the world. Simply put, most of the big name suspension companies use BC to produce their coilovers. (I am not stating that they are superior to GC coilovers. I do not track my car and am aware that GC makes a great product.)

To get the equivelent setup via GC would run you close to $2k. At $1250 I feel this is a great middle ground coilover setup that works well and will save you some cash. Struts are serviceable unlike the NEX kit and they are offered at any springs rate desired with revalved struts at no additional cost.
SPAX are not height adjustable and these are. I believe its 6" of total adjustment. They will actually go higher than stock, lol.
Tammer in Philly wrote:+1. BC has been a mainstay of the "hard parker" E36 scene for a while. They go great with headlight eyebrows and lime green wheel centers, but not so great with actual driving.

-tammer
This is true. But a lot of that is due to their design. BC Racing coilovers have full height adjustability through shock body, not spring (GC is through the spring.) As you lower the car the strut insert moves with the spring so you get full shock travel even when the car is really low.

I know slamming a E28 on the ground isn't everyones cup of tea on this site, but there are quite a few people on here that are into that look. I'm just happy we have another coilover alternative. More and more companies are starting to see the need for aftermarket parts for the E28 chassis.
T_C_D

Post by T_C_D »

I wouldn't knowingly put anything made in Asia on my BMW. Made in USA is OK. :lol:
clongo

Post by clongo »

T_C_D wrote:I wouldn't knowingly put anything made in Asia on my BMW. Made in USA is OK. :lol:
:laugh:

You would be suprised at how many parts in the new BMW's are built in asia. Even more scary.... how many of the cars are assembled in South Africa! :shock:
slammin_e28

Post by slammin_e28 »

clongo wrote:
T_C_D wrote:I wouldn't knowingly put anything made in Asia on my BMW. Made in USA is OK. :lol:

You would be suprised at how many parts in the new BMW's are built in asia. Even more scary.... how many of the cars are assembled in South Africa! :shock:
.....or even America for that matter.

If I buy a German car, I want the Slavs and Czechs to build it themselves.
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

2 questions:

1. Do the camber plates allow for correction to get the front end back to factory spec when the car is lowered? With my spax springs front camber wear is an issue for me.

2. What's the reduction in unsprung weight (if any) going with this setup?

I too am curious to hear the review when installed.
clongo

Post by clongo »

Nebraska_e28 wrote:2 questions:

1. Do the camber plates allow for correction to get the front end back to factory spec when the car is lowered? With my spax springs front camber wear is an issue for me.

2. What's the reduction in unsprung weight (if any) going with this setup?

I too am curious to hear the review when installed.
Great questions. I do my own alignments so i will take pics/provide the printout when I'm done. I will also throw the stock strut assembly on the scale and compare it to the assembled bc coilover over when its welded to the spindle.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Lowering the front of the car doesn't change the camber. The spindle is at a 90° angle to the strut. Your toe is probably what is wrong.
Scottinva

Post by Scottinva »

wkohler wrote:Lowering the front of the car doesn't change the camber. The spindle is at a 90° angle to the strut. Your toe is probably what is wrong.
Really now?
tsmall07
Beamter
Beamter

Post by tsmall07 »

Scottinva wrote:
wkohler wrote:Lowering the front of the car doesn't change the camber. The spindle is at a 90° angle to the strut. Your toe is probably what is wrong.
Really now?
Yes, really. Rear camber changes with lowering, not front.
symmat001

Post by symmat001 »

clongo wrote:

Nothing wrong with the Bmw plant in South Africa!

That plant gave you guys the 1st M Car, the 530 MLE , which lead to the m535