OT -- What's Your Favorite Beer?

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
John in VA

Post by John in VA »

This was good today - Bell's Christmas Ale.
oldskool

Post by oldskool »

Who are we kidding? This thread has gone all yuppie and pretentious-like.
I think there are a lot of great choices displayed, but in the end you know the best beer is the warm Olympia out in the garage at your Nana's house, away from the in-laws.
thespeedfactory

Post by thespeedfactory »

oldskool wrote:Who are we kidding? This thread has gone all yuppie and pretentious-like.
I think there are a lot of great choices displayed, but in the end you know the best beer is the warm Olympia out in the garage at your Nana's house, away from the in-laws.
Nah, for me it was sneaking the room temp Hamms in my Grandpa's barn while cleaning stalls.

The Horses liked it too...always gave the studs one Hamms each before I took them out of the stalls so they wouldn't try to bite me. :banana:
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

oldskool wrote:Who are we kidding? This thread has gone all yuppie and pretentious-like.
:rofl:

I was 13(?) when I had my first whole bottle of beer, while out pheasant & deer hunting with my two older brothers in almost-North-Dakota. Left the house with a decent lunch but nothing at all to drink, and only a couple of $$ between the three of us, just enough for a six-pack of Miller High-Life. I still get a hankerin' for that stuff once in a while. Brings back some great memories. :up:

edit: Just bumped into this list of 25 Cheap Beers To Avoid At All Costs; Miller High Life made the list. ;)
And how many remember the days of actual pull-tabs on beer cans? And the times before pull-tabs, when you used a can opener to pierce the top?
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

davintosh wrote: And how many remember the days of actual pull-tabs on beer cans? And the times before pull-tabs, when you used a can opener to pierce the top?
I remember although I must have been somewhat of a snob even in my youth because most of my recollections are of bottles. Out here there was a beer "Lucky Lager" that was the cheapest stuff available and noteworthy for the puzzles they had in the caps.

I didn't live in San Diego until I was an adult but here's a pic of me taken while visiting as a kid at a spot that I can now see from my current living room window. The Olympia beer was considered an upgrade to 'Lucky' and required a can opener. :)

Either I or my Mom was apparently worried about tongue sunburn. :shock:
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

davintosh wrote:
:rofl:

I was 13(?) when I had my first whole bottle of beer, while out pheasant & deer hunting with my two older brothers in almost-North-Dakota. Left the house with a decent lunch but nothing at all to drink, and only a couple of $$ between the three of us, just enough for a six-pack of Miller High-Life. I still get a hankerin' for that stuff once in a while. Brings back some great memories. :up:

edit: Just bumped into this list of 25 Cheap Beers To Avoid At All Costs; Miller High Life made the list. ;)
And how many remember the days of actual pull-tabs on beer cans? And the times before pull-tabs, when you used a can opener to pierce the top?
My dad was an Old Milwaukee drinker for the longest time and when we went back to Iowa to visit family, it was Busch time. So I partook in some from time to time in my preteen days with my cousins. Man that stuff was pretty awful. I think in my teens Rolling Rocks where the beers of choice sitting around after work in the parking lot behind the Friendly restaurant I worked at (although we were graduating upscale by then and drinking Molsons). But yes, we had moved up to bottles by then; cans were pretty passe by the early 80's.

I remember the etiquette of drinking canned beer was to remove the pull-tabs and drop them into the beer so you didn't leave them on the ground to step on (ala Jimmy Buffet). Pull-tabs were the most common thing you found with a metal detector.

I remember when I was 12 or 13 and living back in NJ a good friend of mine was into collecting beer cans. He had a pretty good collection covering the NE, pretty old ones too. That summer my family went back to Iowa for a few weeks and I took it upon myself to bring back as many local beer cans as I could find. Roadsides, trash cans, family BBQ's, you name it; I came back with about 3 or 4 brown grocery bags. I found one beer can that was nearly destroyed; Grain Belt. My dad chuckled at it and said he remembered it well and jokingly offered to buy some new so I had some good cans. He and his brothers regretted that as they had to try to stomach that crap (this coming from and Old Milwaukee drinker mind you). I think they each drank about a half of a can and ended up dumping it out and snarling at me.

Ahh,memories.
WilNJ

Post by WilNJ »

oldskool wrote:Olympia out in the garage at your Nana's house, away from the in-laws.
It's the water.

$3.85 for a 12 pack of cans in college, couldn't be beat for an afternoon of sitting on the porch, plays cards.
FastFiver

Post by FastFiver »

Liking beer with flavor != pretentious.

The predicted anti beer snob beer snob movement is in full swing.

Shit beer owned by multinational corporations is sad beer. Support local beer!

Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

Well winter has arrived so I'm drinking this stuff. Not bad.

desmofan

Post by desmofan »

FastFiver wrote:
Liking beer with flavor != pretentious.

The predicted anti beer snob beer snob movement is in full swing.

Shit beer owned by multinational corporations is sad beer. Support local beer!

I've had this Rye Ale, and it is tasty!
MicahO

Post by MicahO »

Ommegang! This "Three Philosophers" is fabulous. 98%Belgian Ale from Cooperstown mixed with 2% true Belgian Kriek Cherry Ale. It runs 9.8%, which is great tonight when I've got multiple sleep-overs of other people's children. I'm going to start Philosophizing.....

Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

MicahO wrote:I've got multiple sleep-overs of other people's children.
I think you better get out the vodka and cough syrup. ;)

It's bitterly cold in San Diego so I'm drinking the only dark beer I have on hand.

davintosh

Post by davintosh »

Karl Grau wrote:
:hysterical:
Karl Grau wrote:It's bitterly cold in San Diego...

Ok, I'll bite... How cold is it?
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

Okay, the temp has gone up by prolly 30° since I was last outside but there's no way my thermometer is right.

FastFiver

Post by FastFiver »

Karl Grau wrote:

It's bitterly cold in San Diego so I'm drinking the only dark beer I have on hand.

Bitterly cold, eh?

bkbimmer

Post by bkbimmer »

Whiskey is my favorite beer.
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

It actually is bitterly cold tonight -- about 10°F right now -- and I drank something light for a change. :shock: I picked up a bottle of Goose Island Sofie at the liquor store last night and cracked it open tonight. At first it was a bit too fruity and bubbly for my taste, but I've got to admit, it grew on me before getting past the first glass. I like it, but it might be better suited for a hot summer day.

BDK

Post by BDK »

I like Goose Island, I really like their 321 Beer.

I heard Anheuser -Busch bought them out,
I hope they keep the same recipe but go national with it.

PS... I don't normally drink beer but when I do,
I drink Tequila!!!
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

I went out for an innocent cup of coffee and ended up at the beer store afterward.
I'm getting ready to open the the Anniversary IPA. :)

davintosh

Post by davintosh »

That looks pretty tasty, Chas, but the question on everybody's mind is, how cold is it in sunny Sandy Eggo? ;)

BTW, your sig pic made it necessary for me to finally clean the display on my computer; I took a sip of water just before opening this page. Now it's all wet.
"Your brain has tricked you; it's actually just a drawing." :hysterical:

pleasefixitup

Post by pleasefixitup »

There is a bar out here called The Firkin. They have so many beers on tap (hundreds)....some have more than 10% alcohol....talk about drunk!

Anyway, I grew up with my dad drinking miller lite--so during the summer when I'm working on my car or sitting around the yard--it's miller lite.

Sometimes Summer Shandy--but not too much--gets old fast.

If I'm not drinking beer, it's gimlets or sambuca on the rocks.
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

Holy carpe diem, this thread has lain dormant for three months! How'd that happen?

I haven't found anything new, other than discovering last week that the grocery store we frequent now carries The Best Beer In The Whole Wide World™ in convenient four-packs of 11.2 oz bottles. ~$15 a pack, but for the convenience of cracking open a cold and wonderful Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van De Keizer any time I like, it's a bargain at twice the price!

Yes, it's true; I'm feeling no pain right now. Polished off my last bottle just now. Just what the doctor ordered as I look forward (yeah, right!) to my biopsy tomorrow morning. I guess those buggers will get their pound of flesh from me sooner than later, but they won't get me down... Heck no!
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

Almost a year? Yikes.

I just saw this ad, and I MUST try this beer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tby91aTGF4

I wonder if they sell it in bottles. Hmmmm...
Angel

Post by Angel »

davintosh wrote:Almost a year? Yikes.

I just saw this ad, and I MUST try this beer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tby91aTGF4

I wonder if they sell it in bottles. Hmmmm...

x2 holy shit.
Where the hell has this been?!
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Angel wrote: Where the hell has this been?!

Chillin'. :beer: