Our 528e is 30 this month

General conversations about BMW E28s and the people who own them.
rodpaine

Our 528e is 30 this month

Post by rodpaine »

This month, our 528e turns 30, as it was built October 1982 and I bought it new in April 1983. This BMW is the longest I've kept any automobile, having been well known as the "car of the month" guy, many years ago. I tried to get a BMW Original Production Certificate from BMW Mobile Tradition several years ago, but they told me that during the period my 528e was built, they were revising their record keeping processes and as luck would have it, they had no information about my car, as it had been lost. Too bad, as I otherwise have every document associated with this car, since I took delivery of it.

Once in a while when we thought about selling the car, we could never answer the question what will we replace it with? Only once were we going to actually replace it... with a well known Euro M5, but that didn't happen due financial timing. Bottom line is this has been a remarkable automobile and kept in top condition, it continues to provide very reliable transportation and great driving experiences. If you are new to the BMW E28 automobile, take the time to go over it and bring it up to spec. It will not disappoint you, if you truly come to understand the design philosphy of the various E28 models and can appreciate the driving experience they deliver.

Plus, you are here at MyE28.com, where most all of the resources you may need can be found. Believe me, I know and I am greatful I found this forum some years ago, which has enabled me to keep my E28 in the condition it is in.
-Rod

Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

Happy Birthday! :)
unt0uchable

Post by unt0uchable »

Happy Birthday!

Your car is certainly one of a kind Rod, I can't imagine what someone would give for that sort of example. Thanks for all of the effort you have put into detailing repairs and what not. I know I've used your website lots of times!
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

Happy Birthday to your car, and continued congratulations to you for being such a great steward of your machine! What you've done with that car is an inspiration to me; I know I'll never match what you've accomplished, but you set the standard.
Keep up the great work. :up:

btw, how many miles on the clock now?
shagrath

Post by shagrath »

It certainly is the one 528e that is most likely worth over $10k, maybe even $15k, and the most perfect I have ever seen. Happy Birthday and keep on driving!
skip535i

Post by skip535i »

Great stuff, Rod! Congratulations.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Nicely written. That should be put in Roundel. Congrats. Doubt your 528e could have found a better owner.
Motronic

Re: Our 528e is 30 this month

Post by Motronic »

rodpaine wrote:Bottom line is this has been a remarkable automobile and kept in top condition, it continues to provide very reliable transportation and great driving experiences. If you are new to the BMW E28 automobile, take the time to go over it and bring it up to spec. It will not disappoint you, if you truly come to understand the design philosphy of the various E28 models and can appreciate the driving experience they deliver
30 years and it still looks like new!

I took mine 400 miles this weekend and the drive was very enjoyable driving through the white mountains of NH. A 528e is a very nice comfortable driver for long distances.

And thank you Rod for your site. I used yours for reference doing work on my car and links to purchase clear front lenses. Hope you enjoy that beautiful car for years to come.
djazz

Post by djazz »

Congrats to the eta and the owner, Rod. You are the original E28 guru. I couldn't tell you the number of hours I've spent reading on your site, and not just the eta stuff either. (The ductless A/C stuff was a great help.)
tsmall07
Beamter
Beamter

Post by tsmall07 »

Did you not end up getting the new car? Seems like I remember you were looking at the BRZ or GTI or something to replace the 528e.
rodpaine

Post by rodpaine »

Wow! Great to see so many positive comments from my peers about my 528e and the level I've tried to maintain it at, and sharing what I've done over these years. Thank you all!

davintosh - coming up on 138k miles on the clock
wkohler - good idea, sent an Email to Mike Miller and also posted to the BMWCCA forum.
djazz - glad you found the other web pages helpful
tsmall07 - test drove the VW R and the GTI, but then VW announced the new 2013 platform, so decided to wait.

Lastly was the response from my wife, who sent me an Email yesterday which said "Happy Birthday Bimmer and Rod! You cannot separate the two. Neither would be the same without the other. I love you both - Shelley"

I am a very fortunate guy, to receive so much positive input and support.
-Rod
clangpap

Post by clangpap »

rodpaine wrote:Wow! Great to see so many positive comments from my peers about my 528e and the level I've tried to maintain it at, and sharing what I've done over these years. Thank you all!

djazz - glad you found the other web pages helpful

-Rod
Rod, you likely have no idea how many people on this board have your website bookmarked. Whenever something doesn't seem quite clear in the Bentley you cruise over to Rod's site for the full colour photo!
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Nice,

Happy Birthday,

PARTY when and where?

Don't know what is appropriate for a 30th since this is the Pearl Anniversary and BMW didn't do Pearls.
Eta power

Post by Eta power »

What an amazing car, and a model owner!
L_N_Love

Post by L_N_Love »

Congrats Rod. That is a very unique story. Certainly warrants a story in Roundel! I think that the wags in the 4-cylinder building should also be interested.

:alright:
:haul:

Boodin' boodin'
a

Post by a »

Yah, Thank you sir, I was thinking about your 83 when I was underneath Marina's Super eta the other day. It turned 25 back in March.
garageboy

Post by garageboy »

Wow, you just reminded me... The Time Capsule is turning 25 next month... Gotta do something nice for it soon...

Congrats on your milestone!

Regards,
.steve.
NYC
1988 528e, 5-speed, 97k miles, The Time Capsule
2001 530i, 5-speed, 118k miles, Almost a Time Capsule
bobby in Derby City
Location: Hidin' in a bowl of rice ready to put a cap in an a$$

Post by bobby in Derby City »

rodpaine wrote:
Lastly was the response from my wife, who sent me an Email yesterday which said "Happy Birthday Bimmer and Rod! You cannot separate the two. Neither would be the same without the other. I love you both - Shelley"

-Rod

^^^That is T-Totally awesome Rod!! I had a gal for 12 years (I thought) like that once :(

EDIT: I also meant to include that on "my" E28 Mt. Rushmore: rodpaine, RonW, a, and ???? :up:
Last edited by bobby in Derby City on Oct 12, 2012 9:38 AM, edited 3 times in total.
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

davintosh wrote:... but you set the standard.
This guy has such a way with words. ;)

ImageImage
MicahO

Post by MicahO »

Great writing about an outstanding car, and outstanding owner, and an outstanding ownership experience. I hope that, 22 years from now, I can look back with as much pride on my ownership of the e46. Being honest with myself, I doubt I will reach the bar you've set, and I sometimes I wonder if the car is up to the task. But you've put it out there so we can aspire....
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Congratulations!

When the time does come that you need to part with it, please don't just sell it. Find another steward that can live up to your standards. That car deserves to have another owner as dedicated as you have been!

It is THE 528e that all others are measured by!

Randy