Simple photo hosting service?

MyE28.com Forum system comments and questions. Please post registration, login, or general forum usage problems here.
rodpaine

Simple photo hosting service?

Post by rodpaine »

I am looking for a photo hosting service, that does not insist on providing additional services such as photo display pages and other such stuff.

Since Verizon quit hosting web pages and my web pages are now posted here on MyE28.com, which is great, but I still need the ability to be able to post photos within my Forum messages here as well as on other Forums that I participate on. Anybody have a recommendation for such a service, where I can simply place photos, screen shots, .pdf files, etc., that I want to link to for forum message posting purposes?
-Rod
Mark 88/M5 Houston

Re: Simple photo hosting service?

Post by Mark 88/M5 Houston »

Rod,

Give these guys a look: http://www.smugmug.com/ They are affiliated with ADVrider.com, another site I spend a bit of time on, and get great reviews.

Mark
cek

Post by cek »

Flickr.

No ads. Unlimited storage. Full resolution.

www.flickr.com
ahab

Post by ahab »

For posts on this website there's nothing better than the inline hosting service provided by our own KillerPM. The uber uploader works nearly perfectly and is so easy to use I am perpetually confounded and confused by posts that link to a hosting service which opens a new tab/wondow, pauses while its page loads, complete with unnecessary imaging controls, access to album libraries with some idiots vacation pics, thumbnail viewers, photo display pages, etc, etc. At that point I close the new window, backtrack out of the thread and move on without know WTF someone was trying to show/sell me. I will never understand why any post on this site links to a "hosting service".

For content I want to host that's used outside of this site I simply signed up for my own domain and host it there. It's unbelievably useful, and for the $10/mo it costs me I think it's money well spent. No one is ever the wiser where the content is hosted, unlike those "hosting services" with the aforementioned annoyances, and I can take it down whenever I want for privacy or expiration purposes. Nothing says "I'm cheap" like putting your crap up on a free server because you don't want to spend what amounts to a beer or two a month.
rodpaine

Post by rodpaine »

Thanks guys! I went back and looked deeper into SmugMug, posting a few test pics and found that simply using the pics SmugMug assigned URL, it did what I wanted it to do, such as this one does, quickly, at the size I want and with no other stuff showing up to contaminate the post.

Certainly worth the low cost they want. I'll spend some more time there and see how it works out posting pics on the other Forums I participate on... a few have pretty poor message posting interfaces, when it comes to involving a pic, which is a shame due to their popularity.
Thanks again,
-Rod
cek

Post by cek »

The other nice thing about Flickr is it automatically generates BBCode markup that works with these forums. When you choose to share, you pick "BBCode" as the "where to" and it will copy the appropriate codes to the clipboard.

Flickr is free too.
Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Jeremy »

cek wrote:The other nice thing about Flickr is it automatically generates BBCode markup that works with these forums. When you choose to share, you pick "BBCode" as the "where to" and it will copy the appropriate codes to the clipboard.

Flickr is free too.
How do they make money to cover their costs? It seems like a good service, but when I can't figure out how they cover expenses I become concerned/wary.
cek

Post by cek »

Jeremy wrote:
cek wrote:The other nice thing about Flickr is it automatically generates BBCode markup that works with these forums. When you choose to share, you pick "BBCode" as the "where to" and it will copy the appropriate codes to the clipboard.

Flickr is free too.
How do they make money to cover their costs? It seems like a good service, but when I can't figure out how they cover expenses I become concerned/wary.
It's part of Yahoo! It is a loss-leader for them.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I would use Flickr (I think I have two images on there) but all my crap is on Picasa which I am increasingly annoyed by and I really don't want to have to go back and change all that stuff in posts, etc. Frustrating.
cek

Post by cek »

Gotta start somewhere.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I could just stop taking pictures.
cek

Post by cek »

That'd work too. But then we'd have the sad because not only are your pictures generally damn good, but the subjects are interesting as well.
Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Jeremy »

wkohler wrote:I would use Flickr (I think I have two images on there) but all my crap is on Picasa which I am increasingly annoyed by and I really don't want to have to go back and change all that stuff in posts, etc. Frustrating.
Why do you have to go back? Just leave the old pictures where they are and start using a new service moving forward.