E28 Alpina B7 Turbo/1 #0083

Post your photos and videos here!
wkohler

E28 Alpina B7 Turbo/1 #0083

Post by wkohler »

I purchased this car in April.

I had it shipped from Richmond, VA to Phoenix. It arrived pretty much as described and everything went smoothly despite having to round up four people to push a dirty E28 that had 11psi in each tire. :roll:

Aside from washing it and moving it from one side of the garage to the other (rolls much better with 40psi in the tires) when I parted out the red car, I've done absolutely nothing with it. I pushed it out of the garage today while I was shipping packages and trying to stay organized. Since a lot of people have been asking for photos...

Here you go.

So, those are photos. I still don't have a title in my name since the state of AZ says the VIN is invalid, despite being correct on all previous paperwork. So, they have to do a visual VIN inspection, which I'm a bit worried about since the car has two VINs. All registration paperwork is done with the BMW VIN. Of course, since it doesn't run, I can't drive it to get the VIN inspected.

The car is a DC31 535i made 2/85. It was ordered from BMW as an Alpina car. I have the manuals and such for it. The first stamp in the service booklet is from Alpina.
Vehicle information
VIN long WBADC310200925384
Type code DC31
Type 535 I (EUR)
Dev. series E28 ()
Line 5
Body type LIM
Steering LL
Door count 4
Engine M30
Cubical capacity 3.50
Power 0
Transmision HECK
Gearbox MECH
Colour POLARIS/IMOLASILBER METALLIC (060)
Upholstery ANTHRAZIT (0129)
Prod. date 1985-02-01

Order options
No. Description
206 FUENF-GANG-SPORTGETRIEBE
300 ZENTRALVERRIEGELUNG ELEKTRISCH
320 MODEL DESIGNATION, DELETION
350 WAERMESCHUTZGLAS GRUEN, RUNDUM
401 SLIDING/VENT ROOF, ELECTRIC
411 WINDOW LIFTS, ELECTRIC
419 VORB.TELEFON,BEDIENUNG TUNNELM
428 WARNING TRIANGLE
498 HEADRESTS IN REAR, MECHANIC. ADJUSTABLE
500 HEADLIGHT WASHER SYS/INTENSIVE CLEANING
510 HEADLIGHT BEAM-THROW CONTR. F LOW BEAM
536 AUXILIARY HEATING
540 CRUISE CONTROL
920 ALPINA W/O REGISTRATION DOCUMENT
940 SPECIAL REQUEST EQUIPMENT
Here's the build sheet from Alpina:

Hopefully, sometime in the next few months I can actually work on getting everything freshened up to where the car will hopefully start. Then, I'll take it over for the VIN inspection and hopefully get registered. If they try to penalize me for being longer than 30 days, I'll show them the proof I tried to register it in May. Then we can get on figuring out everything else that's wrong with it. Fortunately, most of the stuff I've researched so far has BMW part numbers, so I shouldn't be looking at lots of money for much of the basic getting it running stuff. Fortunately, the interior is nice and all of the pieces are present sans the front airdam, which is hopefully on the way to the States.
Last edited by wkohler on Jun 16, 2013 11:22 PM, edited 29 times in total.
waxonwaxoff

Post by waxonwaxoff »

Good stuff. My favorite e28 interior.
alijonny

Post by alijonny »

I forgot about this car, Looks good.
cddallara

Post by cddallara »

Thanks for sharing! Regardless, beaucoup bucks will be spent doing it right, or "Kohlerizing" it. :)
Das_Prachtstrasse

Post by Das_Prachtstrasse »

Uber fuel tank. Nice.
davidu

Post by davidu »

so awesome!
skip535i

Post by skip535i »

Thanks, Chris. Sorry we bugged you so much for pictures. We all live vicariously through you and your toys, you know that right?
mooseheadm5
Beamter
Beamter

Post by mooseheadm5 »

You are the correct owner for this car.
kvin111

Post by kvin111 »

congrats on that. Any chance of you coming to the st paddys event next year with this?
Black Steel

Post by Black Steel »

I hate you! :D
CoyoteStarfish

Post by CoyoteStarfish »

"ladedruck" knob? On the fly boost adjustment? Oh my.

And I'm still WTFing at that A/C vent gauge-thing. I want one.
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

would love to see any of your cars in person someday...why couldn't you have made it to Pagosa :x

Looks like a great find! I really enjoy hearing/seeing the progress of you cars, especially the E12 M535i (hint hint).

You have some awesome cars :alright:
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Thanks for posting, and good luck with your dealings with the gubment, free country my a$$.
gray635

Post by gray635 »

Chris: I had been wondering when your B7 would finally surface! Thanks for the update. I agree with Paul that you are the right owner for this car and hope you will work up plenty of enthusiasm (and some $$) to get this example back on the road.

Look forward to seeing your progress and hope this really does become a build thread.

Regards,
Mike
clangpap

Post by clangpap »

I love that car Chris and look forward to seeing it at 5er West next July. :D

Sorry for the dumb question, what is on the dash vent?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1w0U ... C_0847.jpg
m-racer

Post by m-racer »

Based on the 3 Alpina cars (2002ti, B6 and B9) I have owned and the others I have piloted, I will tell you that these are really special cars. I do not know what magic that the captive dwarfs at Alpina do to the suspensions but I spent a gazillion dollars on many 2002's trying to duplicate the feel of my 71 Alpina Ti and never got there. I used to mark my best curve speeds with my E30 M3 and I hit every one of them with the (sorry Mike) B9. I could never hit them with the Euro M5. Yours is my favorite color (on all BMW's). Good luck with the re-hab!
Mark in Toronto

Re: E28 Alpina B7 Turbo/1 #0083

Post by Mark in Toronto »

wkohler wrote:The car is a DC31 535i made 2/85. It was ordered from BMW as an Alpina car.
Interesting, Sia's B7 was built on an M5 chassis. Not sure which chassis was used for Roy's car.
alijonny

Post by alijonny »

skip535i wrote: We all live vicariously through you and your toys, you know that right?
Agreed, in the most un-nutswinging (non ...er, likely homo) way possible.
Nanajoth

Post by Nanajoth »

Those seats look to have worn really well.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Thanks guys. Don't get me wrong, I'm enthused. The problem is I have no time to do anything and I have to do things correctly, so I don't want to rush into anything. There's a lot of work to just getting the car running and I have to start there. I've got some money put aside for when I can get started.

Sia's is one of the late catalyst cars that was built on an M5 body. I guess there are 40 of those. Interestingly, the BMW VIN on the ones I've seen is still that of a 535. Roy's car is a 528i.

I wasn't really enthused about Polaris, but now that I've had time to study the car, it's a fantastic color for the shape of the E28. This car is supposed to have the gold deko kit, too.

Hopefully things will start happening soon!
mooseheadm5
Beamter
Beamter

Post by mooseheadm5 »

wkohler wrote: Hopefully things will start happening soon!
Not that I have to tell you, but don't rush it. You'll do things the way you do things and it will be all the better for it. That is why it is better for you to own it than me. I'd drive it with the fucked up bumpers and valance and never put it away long enough to make it perfect. I suppose it does help that you have another car to drive. Or three (maybe four?)
skip535i

Post by skip535i »

mooseheadm5 wrote:Or three (maybe four?)
I believe it's a least 4 if you count the Volvo. :laugh:
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

Very cool. Excited to see some pictures of the progress!
leadphut

Post by leadphut »

Very nice indeed. The polaris looks great too!
Coldswede
Location: Back U.P. North,. Where the water's blue, the wind is free and seasons four.

Post by Coldswede »

Chris, or anyone else, how much range of boost does the boost control knob provide? Or, what is lowest boost possible and the highest boost possible?