T_C_D wrote:Killer seats!
Reminded me of this

Killer boots man!!
leadphut

Post by leadphut »

meh. unless you want to get embarrassed, you better sell them to me
CSBM5

Post by CSBM5 »

wkohler wrote:Yeah, kinda like the current one.

The seats are pretty cool. They're a bucket, but recline and tilt. Very strange. I have no idea what model they are.
Awesome! Those are Recaro "Rallye" model circa ~1978 or so. I bought one of these for my Capri in the late 70's. :D I later bought an LS in matching color and moved the Rallye seat to the passenger side.

When I bought the Bavaria off my father in 1980, I moved both of them to it. My wife used to love the Rallye seat since it held her in place so securely...enough so she used to ride with me at Road Atlanta in the open track sessions at the Mitty in the early 80's. :)

Here are some pictures from the old days (you might have seen some of these before):

In the Capri with LS on driver's side, Rallye on passenger (btw, they matched the exterior color of the Capri perfectly:

Years later interior shot of the Bav (with washed out exposure from sun on seat):

It looks like yours are in GREAT shape for what are likely 30 year old seats/fabric.

Chuck
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

WOW! I cannot believe I missed your post, Chuck. Thanks for that information. I agree these seats are in great condition. I couldn't believe it.

I also love to see your old Bav, so it was a two-fer.

Thank you!
ElGuappo

Post by ElGuappo »

Those are fully bad ass, remind me of M1 seats too...
Blue02

Re: How badass are these Recaros?

Post by Blue02 »

Any chance you still have these?
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

No. I sold them in 2011 to pay to have a car shipped from Virginia. They're in an '02 though. Wish I still had them.
CSBM5

Post by CSBM5 »

Wow, interesting to see this thread pulled out of the woodwork. Just this week I was contacted by the owner of a shop in Knoxville that purchased my old Bavaria and is going to restore it. One of his staff posted pictures as of now (still awful looking) in post #23 in this thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt ... 72-Bavaria
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

Fantastic thread resurrection but also I enjoy any reading and pictures of CSBM5's old E3, fantastic news that it will be restored! Those Recaros back in the old photos in the Bav are... hawt.
BimmerSultan

Post by BimmerSultan »

Ha, you find all the cool stuff. I don't particularly care for the design of the seat structure, but the color and pattern of the inserts is flippin' dynamic. I really dig them. I could envision a really cool e12 Alpina with these in it and a matching exterior color.

*I should just delete being unaware of how old this was, but oh well, I'll just let my quick scan fault live on.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I don't have the seats anymore. Like I said, they were sold to fund the shipping for the B7 Turbo. They went to a guy with an '02 in Texas and last I heard, he loves them, so I'm very happy about that.
CSBM5

Post by CSBM5 »

I ran across another picture of the Recaros when I had them in my '76 Capri II -- taken from the other direction (note that most all the marks/spots/scratches/etc on this picture are from damage to the original film which I scanned years ago). The Rallye seat is on the passenger side, and the driver's seat is an LS model. They actually matched the redish-orange Capri really well. Note how the early LS pictured had a lot higher thigh bolsters than the later model LS below.

Speaking of matching...here's another pic from the old days of my old E21 with LS and LN Recaros which kind of matched the interior/exterior. I forget the exterior color, but it was an awful green metallic one. Bonus is my 1985 535i in the garage in the background.

Regards,
Chuck
unt0uchable

Post by unt0uchable »

Too.Much.Nostalgia.

Man I want some recaros. Ha. This thread winz.
ldsbeaker

Post by ldsbeaker »

unt0uchable wrote:Too.Much.Nostalgia.

Recaros are your only option, it appears. The seats that started the thread are unobtanium, I'm sure.

Re: Recaros, I bought a couple "rebuild" quality sets (one 6er, one e21) years ago and forgot about them.
Then I got the 1600. It's white over blue, but the stock seats just sat too high and lacked support. So I grabbed a set of recaros out, got some adapters and just ignored the fact that they were black. Finally, a guy at work recommended John's Upholstery here in town. Said he had a good product, etc. So, I took the car over and he looked at the seats. $275 to recover both in whatever vinyl I wanted. I picked this WICKED dark blue (to match the door cards) with great texture and lighter shading (like wear) in the texture. I couldn't shake his hand on it fast enough. That was two months ago. I never really set a completion date, but he has been taking his time and doing it right. He's even welded some of the bolster bars back into position. Apparently, he did some research on the seats and had to mention how hard they are to get now. I mentioned that I have another set, I just have to pick a color and get another quote... I HIGHLY doubt he's gonna do $275 again...
Moral of the story? Get some, dude.
unt0uchable

Post by unt0uchable »

ldsbeaker wrote:
unt0uchable wrote:Too.Much.Nostalgia.

Recaros are your only option, it appears. The seats that started the thread are unobtanium, I'm sure.

Re: Recaros, I bought a couple "rebuild" quality sets (one 6er, one e21) years ago and forgot about them.
Then I got the 1600. It's white over blue, but the stock seats just sat too high and lacked support. So I grabbed a set of recaros out, got some adapters and just ignored the fact that they were black. Finally, a guy at work recommended John's Upholstery here in town. Said he had a good product, etc. So, I took the car over and he looked at the seats. $275 to recover both in whatever vinyl I wanted. I picked this WICKED dark blue (to match the door cards) with great texture and lighter shading (like wear) in the texture. I couldn't shake his hand on it fast enough. That was two months ago. I never really set a completion date, but he has been taking his time and doing it right. He's even welded some of the bolster bars back into position. Apparently, he did some research on the seats and had to mention how hard they are to get now. I mentioned that I have another set, I just have to pick a color and get another quote... I HIGHLY doubt he's gonna do $275 again...
Moral of the story? Get some, dude.
I have a strange feeling that upholstery work in the upper mid west region isn't as inexpensive as it is down near Tijuana :laugh: To be honest, I'd be ok with my current seats being recovered and refoamed. Someday... :cool:
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

ldsbeaker wrote: Re: Recaros, I bought a couple "rebuild" quality sets (one 6er, one e21) years ago and forgot about them.
pictures please!
CSBM5

Post by CSBM5 »

wkohler wrote:I don't have the seats anymore. Like I said, they were sold to fund the shipping for the B7 Turbo. They went to a guy with an '02 in Texas and last I heard, he loves them, so I'm very happy about that.
Interesting that this BaT tii lives in Texas and has two Recaro Rallye seats!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-bmw-2002tii-42/
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

CSBM5 wrote:
wkohler wrote:I don't have the seats anymore. Like I said, they were sold to fund the shipping for the B7 Turbo. They went to a guy with an '02 in Texas and last I heard, he loves them, so I'm very happy about that.
Interesting that this BaT tii lives in Texas and has two Recaro Rallye seats!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-bmw-2002tii-42/
I sold them to Jason. He had sent me a couple photos of the car back when he bought them. It's cool they've stayed with the car all this time. Thanks for noticing that!
Preacher's 5

Post by Preacher's 5 »

Very nice! Beautiful work.
mccusername

Post by mccusername »

I just happened to see this thread-- I bought the red Tii from Jason, complete with the striped Recaro Rallye 2 seats. They still look pretty good, though the driver's side has a few areas of wear. They're definitely pretty snug but super comfortable on a long drive when you don't have to get in and out of them frequently.
The fabric is often mistakenly called 'Martini' but in old Recaro catalogues, it's called 'Jet'. I'm always on the lookout for fabric to repair my seats, and/or LS/LX seats with the same fabric.
Michael
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Nice. I recently picked up a single Rallye 2 as well. Sadly not a pair but these days worth a heckuva lot more than I sold this pair for. Hated to see them go but they paid the shipping on my B7 Turbo in 2011, so in the end, it was worth it.