Post up your Suspension Setup *PICS*

Post your photos and videos here!
MicahO

Post by MicahO »

Last spring, just after installing ST Springs and Billie Sports.

(Also, I have since dropped the ZHP on PSS10's. I forgot how large that front gap had been!)
jay

Post by jay »

RD springs (blues)
Billy sports in the rear
Koni adjustable front
RD sways
235/45 and 255/40 - Soon to be replaced with proper sizes
Boiwonder

Post by Boiwonder »

Get this stickied, we need more stickies in my opinion.
tony535i

Post by tony535i »

Boiwonder wrote:Get this stickied, we need more stickies in my opinion.
I second this!
M3dren

Post by M3dren »

+1 ^^

out of curiosity, is anyone running full spax shocks + springs? i've searched but haven't found too many pictures of that. i get mostly a mix of spax springs + blisteins or spax shocks + gc coil conversions. also wondering how it rode as well on a dd
mooseheadm5
Beamter
Beamter

Post by mooseheadm5 »

M3dren wrote:+1 ^^

out of curiosity, is anyone running full spax shocks + springs? i've searched but haven't found too many pictures of that. i get mostly a mix of spax springs + blisteins or spax shocks + gc coil conversions. also wondering how it rode as well on a dd
I am.

thrty8street

Post by thrty8street »

mooseheadm5 wrote:

I am.

What is the ride quality like? How would it hold up to the crappy roads in the DC/ Metropolitan area?
M3dren

Post by M3dren »

thrty8street wrote:
mooseheadm5 wrote:

I am.

What is the ride quality like? How would it hold up to the crappy roads in the DC/ Metropolitan area?
+1^ on the ride quality?
yeah i've seen that pic on your site, just wondering if there are more pics of the ride height or of other cars with the same setup. sometimes certain angles just aren't enough to sell you on it hehe. i'm thinking of either doing this setup or dishing out for coilovers or possibly even bags
D Unit

Post by D Unit »

For those with cut springs, did you remove them or cut them while they were on the car? :brick:
Fuel

Post by Fuel »

D Unit wrote:For those with cut springs, did you remove them or cut them while they were on the car? :brick:
I would hope they removed them......
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

In the car.
skaper

Post by skaper »

Take em off. I have done it both ways and when you do it with them on it is not fun and you have to cut a whole lot more.

Ps that was back in my Honda days.
TurboChris

Post by TurboChris »

Mtech springs / Bilstein Sports - Rear is set 3 up from the bottom - 235-45/17 tires

Spax springs / Bilstein Sports - Rear is on the lowest setting ( think I need to raise it one or two...) 235-40/17 tires

switch3d

Post by switch3d »

once again how is the ride quality with spax springs and billie sports? I am looking to lower my 85 535i and want the lowest spring I can get with out having to bounce around like a honda civic kid on VW springs.
TurboChris

Post by TurboChris »

I would say mildly stiffer than the Mtechs....My girlfriend didn't even notice the difference. Stiff? Sure, but NOT bouncing down the street on my seat stiff. I'm very happy with the Spax springs.
D Unit

Post by D Unit »

JUNGLISTluder wrote:BavAuto Springs
Bilstein Sports
e90 spring hats without pads up front
Bilsteins on second to last notch in rear
Is the front suspension noisy without the springs pads?
tones

Post by tones »

switch3d wrote:once again how is the ride quality with spax springs and billie sports? I am looking to lower my 85 535i and want the lowest spring I can get with out having to bounce around like a honda civic kid on VW springs.

Alot of you guys must be really picky about ride quality. I got spax and billy sports and its not harsh, its not bouncy, its smooth and relaxing. Mind you before the car was on some cheap 50 buck ebay coilovers with the springs cut to 3 inchs all around..... That shit was horrid and bouncy.

The ride quality is better than any of my other cars i have lowered before. Helps im on stockers with huge side walls though
skaper

Post by skaper »

*cough, sticky... cough
C.R. Krieger

Post by C.R. Krieger »

ahab wrote:... under BBS progressive rate springs and Billie Sports. Not too sure about the pedigree of the BBS springs. They have BBS part numbers on them and I vaguely remember a suspension campaign back in the mid 80s but I've never ran across another pair.
stoph99 wrote:Do you know the part numbers of the BBS springs? I just picked up a pair of front BBS springs, stamped 2601012. The springs are tapered-- the gauge of the coil is thinner near the top.
It appears that you, me, and the guy in Thailand may be the only ones who know we have these springs. Hell; Kohler's never even seen 'em. ;) I just picked up a full set from a guy at bigcoupe.com. I've been trying to find any information on them so I can have some Bilsteins valved for them, but I'm getting nowhere. Today, I finally pulled the part numbers and verified that they are, indeed, BBS springs - even though BBS doesn't seem to acknowledge them anywhere online.

Part numbers stamped on them are:

BBS2601012RBW (front)

BBS2601013RBW (rear)

They are noticeably tapered both front and rear and painted black. The fronts have a yellow paint streak on the second coil and a red spot at the top while the rears have two yellow (maybe yellow-green; remember who's colorblind :oops:) spots on the second or third coil. Any further information would be appreciated.

Oh; and stoph99 - I think they're tapered near the bottom. If someone's going to go to the bother of making tapered springs, I'm pretty damn sure they'll tell you to put the thin part at the bottom so the unsprung weight is lower (because a coil spring goes from being sprung weight at the top to unsprung weight at the bottom).
unt0uchable

Post by unt0uchable »

I am also curious about the full Spax setup. Very interested to know if there was any other modification needed as far as camber plates or anything. Looks pretty low. Does it have the "notches" like the billy's that people are talking about?
white chocolate

Post by white chocolate »

Back to the top!

I am also interested in seeing more and hearing more about the full Spax setup. Help me make a decision for my E28!

020 by gpresley, on Flickr

Obviously an all stock setup on 16x7 wheels!
nickskater09

Post by nickskater09 »

Heyoo cut springs, 175/65 tires on 14x7 et11 BBS's.

I believe it's at 4 coils in the front and 3 in the back, raking but not too badly. Ride is stiff as anything but it doesn't bother me, I'm still young. :rofl:

And yes, the weird thing on the side of my car is the exhaust. Was at a buddy's shop redoing the exhaust and we got a little too rowdy with some extra pipe we found. Judge me if you want, I think it's kinda cool.
L_N_Love

Post by L_N_Love »

Matched BMW Bilstein shocks and MTech springs:

PNs:

31-33-2-225-646 COIL SPRI
31-32-2-225-662 SHOCK ABS
33-53-2-225-654 COIL SPRI
33-52-2-225-666 SHO

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23126255@N05/
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

L_N_Love wrote:Matched BMW Bilstein shocks and MTech springs:

PNs:

31-33-2-225-646 COIL SPRI
31-32-2-225-662 SHOCK ABS
33-53-2-225-654 COIL SPRI
33-52-2-225-666 SHO

Such a beautiful car. Looks perfect.
iamcreepingdeath

Post by iamcreepingdeath »

'87 535is, Billy Sports and BavAuto springs, E90 drop hats, 16x8 et23 style 5s, 225/50/16s

'84 520i, All stock, 2.5 coils cut in front, 2 coils cut in back. Note this is a 520i, and about 400-500 lbs lighter than your standard US spec E28. Same wheel/tire setup as above.

'88? 528e, same as above, stock w/ 2.5/2.0 coils cut front/back. Same wheel/tire setup as above. You can see a trend here...

Also, please sticky this thread!

Also, I think if you have front/rear shots in addition to side shots, that would be just as helpful. I would especially like to see rear camber as a result of lowering, and any fixes, such as adjustable subframes, etc.