Mirror Upgrade...E36 Mirrors

Post your photos and videos here!
Preacher's 5

Mirror Upgrade...E36 Mirrors

Post by Preacher's 5 »

Hey guys, I made a modification to the E28 today. I changed the mirrors. I had never see an E28 with E36 "wing mirrors", so I made the change today. I have been working on this project for a couple of weeks. I had to wait on some warm weather to paint and clear coat the caps, and modify the mounting brackets to fit the E28. I like the look a lot. I noticed that the '88 M6 has this style of mirror, so I that I would give it shot. I am going to redo the mounting brackets (another set), to get a better fitment, now that I know how to get them setup properly before I connect to power switch. What do you think? I did keep my original set. I am going to repaint them as well.

Galahad

Re: Mirror Upgrade...E36 Mirrors

Post by Galahad »

I think this came out really well, good job!
muleskinner

Post by muleskinner »

looks great
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Looks fine . . . if you've never seen a 1988 535is!
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

they look fine, but they're still just rectangle mirrors just like the factory mirrors and not much different so my only question is uhhhhh why
Preacher's 5

Post by Preacher's 5 »

I like the sleek look. Subtle change without taking away from the look of the car; and...I have never seen them on an E28.

Before

After
alemac1

Post by alemac1 »

do you have any close ups of how the base plates meet the chrome door trim? the shape & size of the mirror seems to work well! just want to see what that area looks like
Preacher's 5

Post by Preacher's 5 »

alemac1 wrote: Mar 04, 2022 6:22 AM do you have any close ups of how the base plates meet the chrome door trim? the shape & size of the mirror seems to work well! just want to see what that area looks like
As I stated earlier, I am going to redo the mounting brackets (another set), to get a better fitment, now that I know how to get them setup properly before I connect to power switch. They turned out pretty good, but I know what to do to get a better fitment. I enjoy doing these small fabrication projects…mostly to see how they will look when finished. Like the armrest I did a few months back. I like small details to give a flair. The driver’s side came out a little better than the passenger side. Both are pretty good, but not as tight as I would like. But…not bad for the very first try though.

Preacher's 5

Post by Preacher's 5 »

Also, I had to buff the aluminum door trim before I put these mirrors on. I used a cotton buffing wheel on my hand drill, with white buffing compound stick. I think they came out nice. It removed most of the cloudiness from the trim. It gave them a nice shine. I still have to do the rear doors.
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

Thumb's up!