New Custom E28 Armrest Installed

Post your photos and videos here!
Preacher's 5

New Custom E28 Armrest Installed

Post by Preacher's 5 »

Hey guys I just installed a custom designed E28 armrest w/cup holder in the Preacher’s Five. (WOW! Never thought I would do this…but!) I used an armrest from a 1998 Volvo V70. Originally it was grey color with the slide-out 2-cup holder. I sprayed all of the plastic parts gloss black, including the cup holders with high gloss, high heat paint. The paint adheres to plastic very well.
I designed the mounting bracket based on a design I saw on Ebay. But I did not like the “cheesy” bucket look of those, so I decided to design and fabricate my own. I used aluminum sheet metal to fabricate the mounting bracket. Used cardboard to lay out the design, then transferred it to the aluminum sheet, and cut, sanded and pre-drilled all of the mounting holes. I used a pair of vise grips to pinch-roll the side edges down to where it mounts against the console. Hammered and dollied and sanded the edges smooth. I sprayed the bracket (3 coats), with Duplicolor black textured all-in-one paint.
Today, I had Kevin Chinn to make me a pacific blue leather cover for the armrest. He stitched it with the blue thread to match the color of the car, and the light blue stitching in my front seats. He also re-padded the armrest for me also. It turned out pretty nice. I like the look in the car. The fitment worked out great.

vinceg101

Re: New Custom E28 Armrest Installed

Post by vinceg101 »

That's pretty awesome. Well done!
How is it attached/secured/?? to the parking brake console?
How sturdy are the cup holders?
Preacher's 5

Post by Preacher's 5 »

vinceg101 wrote: Jul 27, 2021 6:01 PM That's pretty awesome. Well done!
How is it attached/secured/?? to the parking brake console?
How sturdy are the cup holders?
It is attached to the sides with (4) machine screws/washers on each side (painted black). Has about 2" clearance above the console. I wanted to make sure it cleared the hand brake. Yep, the cup holder is very sturdy. The good thing is, I can buy the slide-out cup holder replacement directly from Volvo.
south26

Post by south26 »

Not going to lie, that is the best cup holder I have seen done in all the years I have been on the site.

:ohyeah: :ohyeah: :clap: :bow: :banana:

Andy
Preacher's 5

Post by Preacher's 5 »

south26 wrote: Jul 27, 2021 10:27 PM Not going to lie, that is the best cup holder I have seen done in all the years I have been on the site.

:ohyeah: :ohyeah: :clap: :bow: :banana:

Andy
Thanks Andy. Anything pacific blue is hard to come by. I am glad you guys like the work.
muleskinner

Post by muleskinner »

That came out great. Hadn't heard the name Kevin Chin in a while (he did the backseat of my e30 cab....and I think I sold that back in 2007!). Glad to know he's still in the BMW community and keeping up the quality work.
Preacher's 5

Post by Preacher's 5 »

muleskinner wrote: Jul 28, 2021 10:52 AM That came out great. Hadn't heard the name Kevin Chin in a while (he did the backseat of my e30 cab....and I think I sold that back in 2007!). Glad to know he's still in the BMW community and keeping up the quality work.
Yeah, Kevin does great work. He is easy for me to get to, because his shop is about 20 minutes from me. He has been pretty busy working on his camper designs. He going to do my seats for me hopefully around the beginning of 2022. I am probably going with BMW M Tech blue centers with the Pacific blue leather bolsters, front and back. A company called Relicate has all kinds of nice fabric and leather specific to BMW. Their website is www.relicate.com.
Kevin did tell me also that he will have some black fishbone and gray cloth kits later in this summer/fall ready for sale. They should be available with no waiting.
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

I dig it! Very well executed.
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

I love it! I'm also a bit jealous because my car has the factory armrests (with the comfort seats), so I don't think there is a way to get a cupholder like yours in there.
south26

Post by south26 »

Mdreamer wrote: Aug 19, 2021 6:24 PM I love it! I'm also a bit jealous because my car has the factory armrests (with the comfort seats), so I don't think there is a way to get a cupholder like yours in there.

He has the early factory comfort seats, that did not come with the arm rests.

Andy
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

He has the early factory comfort seats, that did not come with the arm rests.

Andy
[/quote]

Gotcha. Thanks!