'86 535i in Santa Monica

Post your photos and videos here!
vinceg101

Re: '86 535i in Santa Monica

Post by vinceg101 »

MIK911 wrote: Sep 20, 2021 8:43 PM Vinceg101-
Does one need an ‘invitation’ to join the Facebook Vintage BMW group? I requested to join weeks ago, and my request is still pending admin authorization

I’m in SoBay, SoCal, and will be at the Vintage meet at Woodley Park
Thanks
Hmmm...the main group page is public so you shouldn't need to request to join only the 5 sub-group page is private. I only have authority over admittance there and can let you in
SoCal Vintage BMW Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/896882017039287
SoCal Vintage BMW 5 Series E12 E28 E34 Sub Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/248968556820622

Send a request to join the Sub Group and I'll let you in.
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

Love your car!

Have you landed on a direction for your head unit? I'm in a similar dilemma, but I'm a few steps behind you in terms of fitting my bumpers, etc., but the radio question is always in my mind. :D
vitapiubella

Post by vitapiubella »

Welcome to the neighborhood alps! As for your radio dilemma, here are a few suggestions:

1 - For about $100, you can add bluetooth streaming and calls to your stock head unit using iSimple TranzIT. I worked well for me.

https://www.amazon.com/iSimple-Hands-Fr ... 339&sr=8-4

2 - They have another version (iSimple IS31) that doesn't do as much, but might be worth a shot as it's less than $30

3 - If you want to upgrade your head unit to something rather period correct, Nakamichi made some really good head units in the 90's that I think look solid in an e28. The Nakamichi CD-500 is a really good unit, if you can find one, but clearly was made before the time of bluetooth. That being said, it works well with that iSimple TranzIT solution, so if you do find one, you can always add bluetooth that way.

Anyhow, if you figure out a workable bluetooth solution, definitely post it here so we know what you came up with!
alps

Post by alps »

vitapiubella wrote: Dec 09, 2021 6:18 PM Welcome to the neighborhood alps! As for your radio dilemma, here are a few suggestions:

1 - For about $100, you can add bluetooth streaming and calls to your stock head unit using iSimple TranzIT. I worked well for me.

https://www.amazon.com/iSimple-Hands-Fr ... 339&sr=8-4

2 - They have another version (iSimple IS31) that doesn't do as much, but might be worth a shot as it's less than $30

3 - If you want to upgrade your head unit to something rather period correct, Nakamichi made some really good head units in the 90's that I think look solid in an e28. The Nakamichi CD-500 is a really good unit, if you can find one, but clearly was made before the time of bluetooth. That being said, it works well with that iSimple TranzIT solution, so if you do find one, you can always add bluetooth that way.

Anyhow, if you figure out a workable bluetooth solution, definitely post it here so we know what you came up with!
Thanks! There appears to be a few of us on this side of town. Any idea who drives the dark blue e28 down Ocean Park in the mornings? I've seen him heading west at 8:30 on a number days, lol.

I haven't sorted out the bluetooth yet... Had a few leads but seem to have misplaced them. Thanks for the suggestions. The iSimple is interesting, and seems easy enough to install. Would still prefer a more integrated solution with the original head unit but we'll see.
alps

Post by alps »

Mdreamer wrote: Nov 29, 2021 1:54 AM Love your car!

Have you landed on a direction for your head unit? I'm in a similar dilemma, but I'm a few steps behind you in terms of fitting my bumpers, etc., but the radio question is always in my mind. :D
Thanks! I thought I had some good leads for bluetooth conversion, but they seem to have all disappeared... I'll be sure to post about it once I figure it out. I do highly recommend the bumpers though :).
alps

Post by alps »

Drove out to SoCal vintage a few weeks back with my neighbor and his Inka 2002:
Here we are at the end of the row next to the caution tape:
Wore all blue to match the car...
Like a dork.
ImageIMG_3727 on Flickr
That's a video I can't figure out how to embed.
✌️
alpinass

Post by alpinass »

I'm local and have an OE M5 chin spoiler and a copy finished in Poly resin...Excellent, strong, lightweight -perfect fitment on the Late Euro valance. $400
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

alpinass wrote: Dec 25, 2021 5:19 PM I'm local and have an OE M5 chin spoiler and a copy finished in Poly resin...Excellent, strong, lightweight -perfect fitment on the Late Euro valance. $400
Sigh... I wish I was local so I could buy that from you!