Bernadette - My 88' 535is

Post your photos and videos here!
UtahEuro

Bernadette - My 88' 535is

Post by UtahEuro »

I'd like to introduce you guys to Bernadette - My 1988 535is - Alpineweiss over Pazifikblau leather sport interior.

Background
I purchased this old girl 3 years ago (June 8th, 2018) out of Portland, OR. This car was originally posted for sale by Austin8753 for his friend. Based off of the listed information, pictures and the PPI I had done by Boyd Motor Werks she checked out. I flew out picked her up from the previous owner, made the obligatory trek out to Tillamook & Cannon Beach, and then headed east all the way back home to Salt Lake City, UT.

During the time that I have cared for her I've done some basic maintenance of fluid changes, a few odd fixes and just driven her as much as possible. A little over a year ago, the power steering system started leaking and the brake accumulator failed. Life quickly took over, I got married and Bernadette went into storage (as did my 73' Norton Commando 750 and 80' BMW R100T).

The last drive before she went into hibernation

(I promise she didn't make that stain) :|

The Plan

So that synopsis brings us to present day. The plan that I've been working on and acquiring parts for is a full suspension refresh (Billy Sports w/ H&R springs) and steering component update. That will hopefully be starting this weekend (June 6th, 2021). I'm also currently building a set (5) of RC090 Style 5's that will hopefully go on by the end of the month.

I can't make any promises that I'll be loading pictures at the pace that CEK does but I'll do my best to keep this thread updated with information/progress/set backs and more.

Hopefully you guys enjoy this thread, feel free to say Hi, give constructive feedback and chime in whenever.

Lastly, thanks for the information that has been given in the past and for the future help that I'll be receiving.

Best Regards,
Stephen
muleskinner

Re: Bernadette - My 88' 535is

Post by muleskinner »

:popcorn: :popcorn:
Mortycrock

Post by Mortycrock »

I’ll subscribe for some updates.... ;)
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

Can't wait to see more
cek

Post by cek »

Go. Go. Go. 🤣
UtahEuro

Post by UtahEuro »

Sitrep:

My wife and I were able to get the old girl (E28) moved over to her temporary housing at my brothers garage on the 5th.

On the 6th, I got a late start and was only able to clean the rear wheel wells from road grim and dirt.

ImageImage

A little mix of Chemical Guys - Orange Degreaser, water and a detail brushed cleaned it up fairly well. I'll hit them again with a tar remover to get the hard stuck on dirt/tar off at a later date. I didn't clean the shock assemblies themselves as they would be replaced with brand spankin' new assemblies.

This was a pretty funny find, rewind to when I picked Bernadette up, I noticed that she was a bit louder than most BMW's I had looked at. One day I was next to a Lamborghini going under an underpass and I couldn't hear the Lamborghini... :laugh:

Well, I found the cause... :oops:

Needless to say, I'm on the hunt for either an oem cat-back unit or even a BB.

After the cleaning and exhaust "leak" discovery, I rolled her inside, put her on the quickjacks lift and there she sat the rest of the week. I had plans of working on her during the evening's after work but I ended up getting strep throat and that kept me at home drinking smoothies until this last Saturday June 12th.

With Bernadette on the lift, I set out on replacing the rear shock assemblies, rear axles, pitman arms and Sway bar links. I worked more than I took pictures ( Apologies, I'm new to this whole build forum thing.) Mission accomplished, the rear end (minus subframe bushings) is done.

(This is before the Sway bar link/rear axle were replaced.)

That being said, for those of us using Billy Sports, which notch of the 3 did you use? Right now I have it on the middle. I have the 16" RZ's currently and I'm refinishing a set of RC090's I'll see which I like the most. I know the majority of you recommend the 16" wheels. I'll mount them up see how it sits and most importantly drives before I make my choice.

At this point, the plan is to start on the front end this evening and have it finished by Friday evening. I'll be doing the front struts and all of the steering components. Then on Saturday I'll give the rear subframe bushings a go.

If any of you have advice on removing the rear subframe knurled bolts, I'm all ears.
My plan is to follow these instructions - https://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=130935

Thanks for reading/following/input!
UtahEuro

Post by UtahEuro »

cek wrote: Jun 12, 2021 10:07 PM Go. Go. Go. 🤣
Charlie! Thanks for cheering me on!

I'm bummed that I missed you and Minerva when you were out here a couple of weeks ago. If you were here this week I'd put you to work! :laugh:
Mortycrock

Post by Mortycrock »

Darn those previous owners… never know what you’re going to eventually find!!

Looks like she’s in good hands, man. Well done!
cek

Post by cek »

UtahEuro wrote: Jun 14, 2021 6:15 PM

I'm bummed that I missed you and Minerva when you were out here a couple of weeks ago. If you were here this week I'd put you to work! :laugh:
I'll be back. Always happy to break other people's cars. Just let me know ;-)
UtahEuro

Post by UtahEuro »

Mortycrock wrote: Jun 14, 2021 6:54 PM Darn those previous owners… never know what you’re going to eventually find!!

:laugh: Haha not at all! The previous owner is one of the coolest dudes ever. He has a pretty bitchin 2002 project that yours truly played a little part in finding.
UtahEuro

Post by UtahEuro »

cek wrote: Jun 14, 2021 8:31 PM
UtahEuro wrote: Jun 14, 2021 6:15 PM

I'll be back. Always happy to break other people's cars. Just let me know ;-)
Offer accepted! I’ll keep you posted.
Mortycrock

Post by Mortycrock »

UtahEuro wrote: Jun 14, 2021 9:04 PM
Mortycrock wrote: Jun 14, 2021 6:54 PM Darn those previous owners… never know what you’re going to eventually find!!

:laugh: Haha not at all! The previous owner is one of the coolest dudes ever. He has a pretty bitchin 2002 project that yours truly played a little part in finding.
Interesting. I’ll have to find this person!
UtahEuro

Post by UtahEuro »

Finally updating!!!

It seems that time really flies these days. Quite a lot has happened since the last post:
  • I rebuilt a set (5) RC090, that was quite the ordeal with local shops - I will be refinishing them again at some point
  • Replaced the brake bomb and soft power steering lines
  • Replaced the rear section of the exhaust with a Billy Boat Tri Flow - Maybe changing that soonish

Since then I've just been enjoying driving her around, meeting new people and making it to Sam's E28 BBQ meet.

(Border of Southern Idaho and Northern Utah)

Sadly back in Oct 2022 my neighbor sideswiped the poor girl, and after roughly 6 months of fighting with his insurance company we were able to settle and be compensated. So now the front end rebuild begins. If you're wondering if I'll be doing a euro conversion, I will not. I just really love the is/M front air dam too much. Luckily I'm a bit of a parts hound so I've sourced all the parts needed to replace the damaged ones and get back out on the road.

After getting the air dam, damaged bumper and bumper covers removed, I noticed that the valance is pretty beat up. It's also fairly thin metal and seems to be easily "reshaped", obviously I can just go the route an buy a replacement. I'm more just curious if any of you have had luck bending/reshaping back to as close to normal as can be expected?

Short to do list:
  • Upgrade the brakes, I have E28 M5 calipers and rotors as well as new lines
  • Flush the cooling system and replace water pump & thermostat
  • Installing the AC Solutions kit / also update the heater core, heater valve and make sure the system is working properly
  • Replace the drivers door seal, lube the window motors and replace the window gaskets
  • Holy Grail fuse block upgrade
  • Replace the rear trunk gasket
  • Upgrade the rear tail lights and replace the tail light gaskets
Long term to do list:
  • Replace the cracked windshield and fix the rust spot located on the lower passenger side of the windshield
  • Fix the dash, more or less just experiment filling the cracks and either covering it with a dash cover or having it trimmed in leather or vinyl
  • Upgrade the speakers, amp and head unit
  • Reupholster the front and rear seats
  • Start prepping the body for a respray
  • Wheel refurbish - as stated above
I'm sure there is more that I can add to either list and will be fluid as time goes on this year.

The biggest and best update is my awesome/incredible wife gave birth to our son back in Dec 2022. So I may get through my lists and I may not.

I'll do what I can to keep up with this thread as I do jobs here and there.
Mortycrock

Post by Mortycrock »

Yes to all!! So happy you’re the one who bought my car. You’re a good human, sir!