Custom Bumpers?

Post your photos and videos here!
ScottKendall

Custom Bumpers?

Post by ScottKendall »

We all know that there is the US bumper and there is the Euro bumper. I have a US bumpered car as seen here.

I think the Euro bumpers look too small, and they will cost $$$ to upgrade. I had the bumpers off a while back and considered how easy it would be to push the bumpers back a bit and get rid of those dreaded black plastic bits. The sides could be a continuation of the front part of the bumper forming a wrap around aluminum bumper similar to the chrome bumpers on the euro car but more substantial. Consider the photoshopped car from above with what I am talking about.

What would you think of this? Would you buy a car with this modification?
south26

Re: Custom Bumpers?

Post by south26 »

People have for years been pushing the bumpers in. You drill a hole in the bumper shocks, which lets out 30 year old grease. Nasty.

Then push them in.

Andy
demetk

Post by demetk »

ScottKendall wrote: Apr 14, 2021 12:03 PM

What would you think of this? Would you buy a car with this modification?
Now that looks pretty cool.
muleskinner

Post by muleskinner »

I think the photoshop looks good. I'd remove the side markers, but this setup would have to be fabricated in aluminum, then you have to find the rubber strip to go around it. Last I checked, a decent set of euro bumpers can be had for $1K or less. So to your quote that adding euro bumpers would "cost $$$ to upgrade", how does this setup compare cost wise?
ScottKendall

Post by ScottKendall »

The markers are easy to make. And the wiring is already there. I would simply extend the rubber strips by adding two together. The only trick bit might be the merging point between pieces. The alternative is find some off the shelf rubber strip. I'm less concerned with my ability to do it, than I am what others might think. I'm still not sure this is my forever-until-I-die car. If I were sure I'd do whatever the hell I felt like.

As for Euros being $1K, maybe for a good deal. But then there is the changing of the turn lights and alteration to the lower valance, so eh like $2K. I have an extra US rear bumper, I need to find a front bumper. That might be like $100 if I can find one local. If someone has one, let me know.

Anyway, I think this mod might look better than either US or Euro bumper, but there is part of me that things making mods like this could turn off a buyer. That's why I am floating it out there.
ilovemycat

Post by ilovemycat »

Trying to make an aftermarket replacement that looks better than euro bumpers , what the car was originally designed for , is just re-inventing the wheel imo.
e28Sean

Post by e28Sean »

Go euro. You know you want to.