Some decent garage time today. Decided that I wanted to dig into a few things on the hitlist.
When I last looked in the trunk, I noticed some extra wires a PO had installed and I didn't like the looks of them. Turned out a 3rd brakelight was cobbled in at some point. While I am all for having that feature, the way it was done is not OEM enough for me, so I will redo it. For the moment I've removed if though.
Tackled some issues with my power antenna too. Hasn't moved since I got the car, turns out it isn't plugged in. I figured there was a reason so took it all apart and found a few slight issues.
, on Flickr
That's a pretty corroded ground, but turns out that it was still functional. Not the issue, but cleaned it up before putting it back.
, on Flickr
A little hard to see here, but between the red and green wires, there is a Zener Diode? that has fried. Turns out this was one issue to the non-functional antenna, along with a bent mast. New mast is on order. After some troubleshooting I decided I can get the antenna functional without the zener (just soldered a bridge instead) and put it back together.
, on Flickr
While I was at it, disassembled and cleaned everything as well. Worm gears were caked with grease/dust combo. New PTFE grease and a clean up and we're good to go.
The bent mast is causing issues with raising and lowering, but with a little coaxing I can get the mast up and down. For the moment I've powered it up all the way, and unplugged it. I have a permanently up antenna at the moment, which will do until the replacement mast gets here. If I want it down I just have to plug it in with the radio off and gently push it down. Damn near impossible to straighten those things, I did give it a good go though.
Also discovered that a PO had installed 6x9's in the parcel shelves. Typical sheet metal cutting. I'm not that upset by it, this car is clean, and 6x9's there make sense. I'll probably just leave it permanently, but buy some better speakers down the road and do a nicer install. Same with the rear brake light. I like the feature, just didn't like the installation on spray painted cardboard tubes as standoffs. I'll probably 3D print something that looks a bit more OEM.
That's all for now, might do some more tomorrow.