Alpina B7 Turbo #106

Post your photos and videos here!
Kapt

Re: Alpina B7 Turbo #106

Post by Kapt »

BMW Performance wrote: Aug 04, 2020 8:35 PM
Kapt wrote: Jul 19, 2020 11:33 AM Luckily I didn’t need many parts from Alpina because they are very expensive. For example, the little expansion joint that connects the two pieces of the exhaust manifolds was almost $600.
You are paying to much for your Alpina parts. I paid 233.28 euros for the joint that connects the two pieces of the exhaust from Alpina.
I guess I am. I’m curious how long ago you bought this and do you have a good source for parts you’d like to share? Luckily I needed very few Alpina parts.
Kapt

Post by Kapt »

jdb wrote: Jul 31, 2020 10:47 AM Gorgeous car, Beautiful work
Thanks for sharing

Jeff
Thanks Jeff!
BMW Performance

Post by BMW Performance »

Kapt wrote: Aug 06, 2020 7:48 PM I guess I am. I’m curious how long ago you bought this and do you have a good source for parts you’d like to share? Luckily I needed very few Alpina parts.
About 14 months ago. Just let me know what you need and can add it to my next order.
Kapt

Post by Kapt »

BMW Performance wrote: Aug 06, 2020 11:30 PM
Kapt wrote: Aug 06, 2020 7:48 PM I guess I am. I’m curious how long ago you bought this and do you have a good source for parts you’d like to share? Luckily I needed very few Alpina parts.
About 14 months ago. Just let me know what you need and can add it to my next order.

Thanks, I will.
88m6

Post by 88m6 »

Have either of you replaced your radiator?
If so what did you use as replacement?
Mine had a replacement done by dinan back in 2000 n has a Nissens 60602 tag on it.
Nissens does have a 60602A ,but not sure what if any difference there is between them. Trying to find out.
Looking to change mine out.
Thx
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I used a South African Behr radiator. The B7 uses the same radiator as the 535i/635CSi.
GaAlpinaOwner

Post by GaAlpinaOwner »

I have not been on this site in a very long time. A very nice build here. I own #116 approx 92k miles and it looks to be identical to yours Color and stripes except mine has pearl beige interior and AC. I see yours has the same diff as mine, the larger one without the cooler. I have owned mine approx 14yrs, 3rd owner. Restored as well. Congrats on your build I look forward to keeping an eye on this one.
David Frankel
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

Simply awesome.... beautiful work and stunning car! Congrats. :D

-RoyW
Kapt

Post by Kapt »

RoyW wrote: Sep 22, 2020 11:16 AM Simply awesome.... beautiful work and stunning car! Congrats. :D

-RoyW
GaAlpinaOwner wrote: Sep 22, 2020 11:02 AM I have not been on this site in a very long time. A very nice build here. I own #116 approx 92k miles and it looks to be identical to yours Color and stripes except mine has pearl beige interior and AC. I see yours has the same diff as mine, the larger one without the cooler. I have owned mine approx 14yrs, 3rd owner. Restored as well. Congrats on your build I look forward to keeping an eye on this one.
David Frankel

Thanks David and RoyW.

David, I referenced your outstanding ride many times when I was deciding between the silver or gold stripes on diamondschwarz. It would be fun to park these twins next to one another some day.
Nick1984

Post by Nick1984 »

amazing restauration of an amazing car :shock: :shock: :up:
Kapt

Post by Kapt »

Nick1984 wrote: Oct 03, 2020 10:51 AM amazing restauration of an amazing car :shock: :shock: :up:
All the way from Belgium, thanks!
SteveKerwin

Post by SteveKerwin »

I can tell that a lot of work has been put into it. I'm absolutely amazed. Great job, man!
Kapt

Post by Kapt »

I mounted my newly refinished closed lug Alpina wheels on one side of my car with the original open lug Alpina’s (also refinished) mounted on the opposite side. I drove it that way to my local cars & coffee and it was pretty much a 50/50 split on which look was preferred. Personally, I like the stock open lug look. The polished lug bolts against those black centers is automotive jewelry. I also have a set of 17” closed lug Alpinas’s that also change the cars personality.

Here is the 17” look. My plan is to machine some center caps that mimic the open lug wheels. I won’t extend the black paint onto the face of the wheel like it should so that I can go back to the closed lug option. These bigger wider wheels give it a more aggressive stance.

This is the original Pirelli P7 spare that appears to never have been mounted. Check out those wheel weights.

CSBM5

Post by CSBM5 »

I guess it's my age showing, but the 16" wheels look so much better to me. Beautiful car and what an amazing spare tire! That spare is worth a full detail and photo shoot all by itself.
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

What a challenge- which wheels to run on this beautiful specimen! You've got different looks for different occasions: night on the town- closed lug, feeling aggressive- 17" open lug... options are good.
Fantastic restoration.
JWT

Post by JWT »

...remember to get the black screw head cap/cover for your first aid box bracket in the trunk. I mean...you've come the far. :D
Kapt

Post by Kapt »

JWT wrote: Nov 13, 2020 8:29 AM ...remember to get the black screw head cap/cover for your first aid box bracket in the trunk. I mean...you've come the far. :D
I know, really :laugh:
hunneman

Post by hunneman »

WOW Kapt !!!
what beautiful work you done on this car...just stunning..

thanks for sharing
leadphut

Post by leadphut »

Beautiful!

My vote is open lug. So. Very. Nice.
Kapt

Post by Kapt »

Thanks Hunneman and Leadphut.

After multiple failures trying to refinish the very flexible rubber spoiler on the Alpina I finally came across a good solution. The problem is with the paint cracking. I tried many different flexible paints and primers and initially they all looked very good, but after a few weeks I noticed hairline cracking that eventually kept growing. The different rates of expansion between paint and spoiler and possibly slight flexing from the air load is my guess for the cracking. A spoiler with an integrated rigid component like on the M5 and 535is may have better results.

The first step was filling in the various pock marks in the old rubber. I used crack filler from Leatherique, the company that makes products for seat refinishing. The filler is flexible and adheres well but requires many layers because it shrinks as it dries. It also works well as a skim coat. The paint I used is ProLine from DipYourCar and requires an HVLP spray gun with a recommended 1.8 tip. It’s essentially rubberized paint. The primer goes on clear and the matte black finish has just the right amount of sheen. Unfortunately, this paint is only available in gallons. Some use the rattle can Plast Dip which will work but the finish doesn’t flow out nearly as well.

Another re-sanding after paint cracking.

Over 7 months and no cracking.

cek

Post by cek »

That's impressive. Well done.

And thanks for sharing the technique! I bet this will work on the standard 535is spoiler rubber just as nicely.
M5BB

Post by M5BB »

Great job.
I know David's car well as he is a close friend.
Love me some Alpina's.

I just bought an 87 E30 B3 2.7. Diamond Schwartz.
Came from Japan in 2012.
Bought from friend before he died from cancer.
Estate is settling and don't have car yet but will get in a few months.

A guy named Mike Gray had a E28 B6 I believe and sold many years ago.
Not many around.
Hope to see it someday.
I grew up in Maryland but haven't been their since 2015.
Take care,
Gary
AlpinaB7

Post by AlpinaB7 »

Beautiful. I am doing much the same right now. Did you repaint any of the Alpina valve cover gasket, intake plenum or intake pipes? If so, what paint did you use? I'm hoping I can find a BTDT so I don't need to go by trial and error. I too need to find the silicone couplers but I think it's just a measure and shop sorta thing.

I was told that the E28s didn't have air conditioning because there was no space up front for the condenser with the intercooler. I have never looked around to see if any others had it. It may be erroneous info. Also, the air filter and straps are Porsche 924 but I think everyone knows that. I was told that the rear muffler is from a euro M-car.

KSK/Alpina parts are crazy. I had to buy a brass fitting for the wastegate adjuster 20 years ago and I think it was almost $200. It looks like something you could get at Home Depot for 97 cents.

Beautiful car. It's inspiring me to be more fastidious in what i'm doing.
Kapt

Post by Kapt »

AlpinaB7 wrote: Oct 19, 2021 9:59 AM Beautiful. I am doing much the same right now. Did you repaint any of the Alpina valve cover gasket, intake plenum or intake pipes? If so, what paint did you use? I'm hoping I can find a BTDT so I don't need to go by trial and error. I too need to find the silicone couplers but I think it's just a measure and shop sorta thing.

I was told that the E28s didn't have air conditioning because there was no space up front for the condenser with the intercooler. I have never looked around to see if any others had it. It may be erroneous info. Also, the air filter and straps are Porsche 924 but I think everyone knows that. I was told that the rear muffler is from a euro M-car.

KSK/Alpina parts are crazy. I had to buy a brass fitting for the wastegate adjuster 20 years ago and I think it was almost $200. It looks like something you could get at Home Depot for 97 cents.

Beautiful car. It's inspiring me to be more fastidious in what i'm doing.
Thanks, and yes I did repaint all the engine stuff. I remember I tried multiple products until I was satisfied because the original paint looked like a hammer type finish to distract from the rough casting marks. I know I took notes so I’ll get back to you on this one.

These cars did come with AC from Alpina. EAG has a factory AC car for sale now if you want to see what it looks like. The giveaway is where the lines enter thru the custom (Alpina) firewall panel. I’m counting over 40 Alpina part numbers in my catalog that make up one of their factory installs. Imagine what KSK would charge for that bunch if they were even still available.

What number B7 do you have and for how long?
Kapt

Post by Kapt »

M5BB wrote: Feb 13, 2021 12:09 AM Great job.
I know David's car well as he is a close friend.
Love me some Alpina's.

I just bought an 87 E30 B3 2.7. Diamond Schwartz.
Came from Japan in 2012.
Bought from friend before he died from cancer.
Estate is settling and don't have car yet but will get in a few months.

A guy named Mike Gray had a E28 B6 I believe and sold many years ago.
Not many around.
Hope to see it someday.
I grew up in Maryland but haven't been their since 2015.
Take care,
Gary
Thanks Gary,

Did you take delivery yet of the B3. Post a pic - love to see another Diamond Schwartz Alpina.