Alpina B7 Turbo #106

Post your photos and videos here!
Foonfer

Re: Alpina B7 Turbo #106

Post by Foonfer »

Stopping by as a vulgar ignoramus, not worthy of even sitting near the Alpina owners' table, just to scream OPEN LUG! 16 INCHES MAXIMUM! and run away before Security gets called
dlvad

Exhaust Manifold Compensator Flanges...

Post by dlvad »

Member "BMW Performance"
Possibly you can PM me here or email me at dlvad@yahoo.com I'm unable to send PM's as I have too few posts since 2009. That is of course you receive a notification of the new post. :D

Thanks.

Regards,
DV
M5BB

Post by M5BB »

I did not get the car.
The estate backed out of the deal.

It was a really nice car and now has sat for over a year.

I do own a 72 3.0 CS that I restored.

One day maybe I will own an Alpina.

Gary
jhh925

Post by jhh925 »

Kapt wrote: Feb 12, 2021 4:02 PM After multiple failures trying to refinish the very flexible rubber spoiler on the Alpina I finally came across a good solution. The problem is with the paint cracking. I tried many different flexible paints and primers and initially they all looked very good, but after a few weeks I noticed hairline cracking that eventually kept growing. The different rates of expansion between paint and spoiler and possibly slight flexing from the air load is my guess for the cracking. A spoiler with an integrated rigid component like on the M5 and 535is may have better results.

The first step was filling in the various pock marks in the old rubber. I used crack filler from Leatherique, the company that makes products for seat refinishing. The filler is flexible and adheres well but requires many layers because it shrinks as it dries. It also works well as a skim coat. The paint I used is ProLine from DipYourCar and requires an HVLP spray gun with a recommended 1.8 tip. It’s essentially rubberized paint. The primer goes on clear and the matte black finish has just the right amount of sheen. Unfortunately, this paint is only available in gallons. Some use the rattle can Plast Dip which will work but the finish doesn’t flow out nearly as well.
Kapt: Which color of the ProLine did you use? If I zoom in on your picture, all I can see is the word "Black" (maybe as part of an incomplete color label), but on the ProLine website, they have two blacks: "Arctic Black" and "Volcanic Black." Did you use one of those two?

Edit: My mistake, there are THREE different blacks you can buy: "Arctic Black," "Volcanic Black" and "Onyx Black." Which do I choose to match a factory IS spoiler??
Kapt

Post by Kapt »

jhh925 wrote: Jun 25, 2022 5:12 PM
Kapt wrote: Feb 12, 2021 4:02 PM After multiple failures trying to refinish the very flexible rubber spoiler on the Alpina I finally came across a good solution. The problem is with the paint cracking. I tried many different flexible paints and primers and initially they all looked very good, but after a few weeks I noticed hairline cracking that eventually kept growing. The different rates of expansion between paint and spoiler and possibly slight flexing from the air load is my guess for the cracking. A spoiler with an integrated rigid component like on the M5 and 535is may have better results.

The first step was filling in the various pock marks in the old rubber. I used crack filler from Leatherique, the company that makes products for seat refinishing. The filler is flexible and adheres well but requires many layers because it shrinks as it dries. It also works well as a skim coat. The paint I used is ProLine from DipYourCar and requires an HVLP spray gun with a recommended 1.8 tip. It’s essentially rubberized paint. The primer goes on clear and the matte black finish has just the right amount of sheen. Unfortunately, this paint is only available in gallons. Some use the rattle can Plast Dip which will work but the finish doesn’t flow out nearly as well.
Kapt: Which color of the ProLine did you use? If I zoom in on your picture, all I can see is the word "Black" (maybe as part of an incomplete color label), but on the ProLine website, they have two blacks: "Arctic Black" and "Volcanic Black." Did you use one of those two?

Edit: My mistake, there are THREE different blacks you can buy: "Arctic Black," "Volcanic Black" and "Onyx Black." Which do I choose to match a factory IS spoiler??
Actually it’s none of those. I found the basic matte black was very close to the original color and sheen. Also, it works better if you use their primer. Here’s the link.
https://www.dipyourcar.com/products/pro ... 4361619087
jhh925

Post by jhh925 »

Thank you!
landspeed

Post by landspeed »

Did you have the steering wheel recovered? or is that original. I have the same MOMO wheel(except Hartge) that needs recovering, and I don't know who to trust to recover it correctly.
Kapt

Post by Kapt »

landspeed wrote: Aug 26, 2022 3:49 PM Did you have the steering wheel recovered? or is that original. I have the same MOMO wheel(except Hartge) that needs recovering, and I don't know who to trust to recover it correctly.

The steering wheel is new. Unfortunately I don’t know of a place to get your wheel done.
saruma

Post by saruma »

landspeed wrote: Aug 26, 2022 3:49 PM Did you have the steering wheel recovered? or is that original. I have the same MOMO wheel(except Hartge) that needs recovering, and I don't know who to trust to recover it correctly.
check out roaddefined on instagram. i have the same momo (without alpina badging) and want to send it to him, his work looks really good and he provides tons of materials to rewrap in. just has a steep price, around $440 before shipping