Out of the gold, into the gold

Post your photos and videos here!
tseohs

Re: Out of the gold, into the gold

Post by tseohs »

Been spending time getting the engine cleaned up. I'm calling it done for now. Fixed a few things like the temp sender to the dash. Exhaust is fully installed and I have been able to run it for a few 20 minute cycles. Idles solid at 850 or so. Appear to be no leaks even at the band clamps and no movement. It felt really solid even before fitting the trans and subframe brackets. I'm really happy with the "tuck" and tight clearances, especially around the subframe and diff. Don't mind the gloppy welds in the first photo. That's where the old and new pipes meet which required multiple passes and some creative hammering. The exhaust sound is pretty quiet as I had hoped even with the car still up on stands. More thumpy than raspy. Plan is to get the hood back on tonight.

Image[/url]Untitled

Image[/url]Untitled

Image[/url]Untitled

Image[/url]Untitled
tseohs

Re: Out of the gold, into the gold

Post by tseohs »

Hood back on and aligned. All I can say is that was one tricky task getting that reattached solo.

Image[/url]Untitled
tseohs

troubletuning

Post by tseohs »

Engine starts easily and idle is steady but loud and lumpy. Confirmed by sound and feel that #6 wasn't firing. Pulled plugs and #6 was wet and unfired, the rest were fouled. Initially I was a bit deflated.

Cleaned plugs and reinstalled 1-5. Tested #6 plug when running but not installed. It appeared to fire well. So have fuel and spark. Reinstalled #6, restarted, same thing. Cylinder #6 wasn't firing and other plugs heavily fouled.

Inspected the inside of #6 plug boot and saw that the inner plastic was cracked and the boot didn't fit the plug snugly. I think the wire wasn't maintaining a good connection when installed. New wires are on the way. Also checked the TPS which I had checked but turns out it wasn't consistently "clicking" on closed throttle. So hopefully between new wires and TPS adjust, things will get smoothed out.

I was worried so in the meantime I checked that #6 has compression. Looks good.

Image[/url]Untitled
tseohs

Need help troubleshooting #6

Post by tseohs »

New plug wires run smoother but still no firing on cyl #6.

Have spark and compression (~150psi) at #6 but no firing and plug is wet after running a few minutes with no indication of firing at all.
Other plugs look less fouled, more healthy with new wires and TPS adjusted.

Almost everything else is new or checked:
AFM is retraced and tested
CTS is new
ICV moves freely, buzzes
Valves were set when head went back on and there is no audible valve tick.

So what is left that is exclusive to a single cylinder?
Injector? Maybe it's just leaking and not spraying into the cylinder?
?

Plan is to try to check injector plug and wires and if nothing is obviously amiss pull the injectors and send them for r&r. While that is being done, I'll recheck the valves.

Any ideas are appreciated.