Post your photos and videos here!
tseohs

Re: Out of the gold, into the gold

Post by tseohs »

Friday = Drive Day

tseohs

Post by tseohs »

Holiday ride and car wash. Happy 4th. Stay safe.

tseohs

What a difference a seat makes

Post by tseohs »

Scored some e30 seats in a trade. They had sat outside for at least a decade, The leather had disintegrated, the foam was nearly destroyed, and the hinge tabs were broken but all the pieces were there so I had to resurrect them. Between rebuilding and shaping the foam, welding the hinges, rewiring the back supports, reshaping and strengthening the back cards, rebuilding and refinishing the sliders, and of course the recovering, I have a crazy amount of time into these.

But the transformation in feel and the drive experience is pretty incredible.

Does the color match? Not really but I think they look great with the rest of the interior except the rear seat, which I will also recover. I actually prefer light colored interior.

I also find it interesting how close the e30 seats are in size, shape, and especially feel as my 2018 Audi seats.

tseohs

Post by tseohs »

Hey team,

Treat yourself or a fellow enthusiast to an e28 t-shirt. Found on ebay (no affiliation). Ordered long sleeve and asked them to print without the 'e28' script. Very happy with the quality and fit.

Happy holidays.

alps

Post by alps »

Those seats look incredible! Well done.
SeattleGuy

Post by SeattleGuy »

tseohs wrote: Jul 04, 2022 4:29 PM Holiday ride and car wash. Happy 4th. Stay safe.

Haha yah I'm too lazy to get a Thule so I end up stuffing my MTBike in the back seat too... it *JUST* fits but only if I put it in a certain way.

Anyway who did your flywheel. People don't know what they are missing unless they had an early 533i, which was my first BMW. While I ponder redoing the head in 2023 it occurs to me that lightening the million-pound flywheel in the 535is will definitely be a relatively cheap way to get some good pop from under the hood. Also my SAAB buddy has an injector cleaner so I'll order up the rings and let him have a go at those.
tseohs

Post by tseohs »

Yeah, I was happy to find that my bike slides right into the e28. When biking with the wife, have to use the pickup with fork mounts in the bed, which works really well.

As for the flywheel, a local Olympia machinist cut it down and balanced it. I think it ended up at #16. You sure can feel and hear it spin up quickly. Downside, of course, is that you really feel it while in gear and off throttle but that just takes some getting used to. Idle is smooth. I think most competent machine shops, especially those that do automotive work could do it.

Speaking of that machinist, I should pop by again. He was building a 1000hp Studebaker "Starliner" salt flats car, had a model T flathead hotrod, a few other car projects and a crazy drag boat for which he was building and testing air foils.
Last edited by tseohs on Apr 24, 2023 3:07 PM, edited 2 times in total.
tseohs

Post by tseohs »

Had to take advantage of a rare and unexpected dry January day her in the PNW.

tseohs

Post by tseohs »

Hi all,

Wanted to do a health check on the plugs after putting on a few hundred miles after the rebuild. They look consistent across the 6, not too hot, not oil fouled so all is good.

While I was in there, I had to swap out the nearly new small upper hose. You can see that it actually split above where the clamp sat and more on the lip of wp outlet. The hose was properly seated at the bottom and the clamp was in the correct location. Odd. Definitely not caused by abrasion or cutting. I'm convinced it just split prematurely. Also found that the accordion section between the filter and meter was split open. Made a temp fix with some 2" wide 3M tape. I'll find a coupler to replace it. Will be interesting to see if it was the source of the slight hunting just after start-up.

And wanted to show off the vintage audio-el bazooka and the flex5, ready for summer.