Out of the gold, into the gold

Post your photos and videos here!
tseohs

Re: Out of the gold, into the gold

Post by tseohs »

Been spending time getting the engine cleaned up. I'm calling it done for now. Fixed a few things like the temp sender to the dash. Exhaust is fully installed and I have been able to run it for a few 20 minute cycles. Idles solid at 850 or so. Appear to be no leaks even at the band clamps and no movement. It felt really solid even before fitting the trans and subframe brackets. I'm really happy with the "tuck" and tight clearances, especially around the subframe and diff. Don't mind the gloppy welds in the first photo. That's where the old and new pipes meet which required multiple passes and some creative hammering. The exhaust sound is pretty quiet as I had hoped even with the car still up on stands. More thumpy than raspy. Plan is to get the hood back on tonight.

Image[/url]Untitled

Image[/url]Untitled

Image[/url]Untitled

Image[/url]Untitled
tseohs

Post by tseohs »

Hood back on and aligned. All I can say is that was one tricky task getting that reattached solo.

Image[/url]Untitled
tseohs

troubletuning

Post by tseohs »

Engine starts easily and idle is steady but loud and lumpy. Confirmed by sound and feel that #6 wasn't firing. Pulled plugs and #6 was wet and unfired, the rest were fouled. Initially I was a bit deflated.

Cleaned plugs and reinstalled 1-5. Tested #6 plug when running but not installed. It appeared to fire well. So have fuel and spark. Reinstalled #6, restarted, same thing. Cylinder #6 wasn't firing and other plugs heavily fouled.

Inspected the inside of #6 plug boot and saw that the inner plastic was cracked and the boot didn't fit the plug snugly. I think the wire wasn't maintaining a good connection when installed. New wires are on the way. Also checked the TPS which I had checked but turns out it wasn't consistently "clicking" on closed throttle. So hopefully between new wires and TPS adjust, things will get smoothed out.

I was worried so in the meantime I checked that #6 has compression. Looks good.

Image[/url]Untitled
tseohs

Need help troubleshooting #6

Post by tseohs »

New plug wires run smoother but still no firing on cyl #6.

Have spark and compression (~150psi) at #6 but no firing and plug is wet after running a few minutes with no indication of firing at all.
Other plugs look less fouled, more healthy with new wires and TPS adjusted.

Almost everything else is new or checked:
AFM is retraced and tested
CTS is new
ICV moves freely, buzzes
Valves were set when head went back on and there is no audible valve tick.

So what is left that is exclusive to a single cylinder?
Injector? Maybe it's just leaking and not spraying into the cylinder?
?

Plan is to try to check injector plug and wires and if nothing is obviously amiss pull the injectors and send them for r&r. While that is being done, I'll recheck the valves.

Any ideas are appreciated.
tseohs

Post by tseohs »

First time out in the sun in a year or so. Car is idling, running, and sounding great. I think the lightened flywheel really makes it feel peppy. Ignore the heavy coat of grinding dust and lack of trunk lid.

Finally figured out the dead cylinder issue. It was an injector, or technically 3 injectors. Took a while to get it sorted because I thought the injectors in the b35 were good having driven the donor car before the swap. So before focusing on the injectors, I ruled out everything including a leakdown test.

Cylinder 6 injector had a dead coil and 2 others leaked and were unrepairable. This caused a misfire on one and an overall rich running condition with fuel coming out the tailpipe due to the leakers. Luckily I had another set from the b34 so I was able to get 6 working injectors with perfect spray pattern and flow.

Regarding injectors, Cruzin Performance is not currently cleaning injectors. So I sent my injectors to HPI at https://hpinjectors.com/pages/hpi-injec ... g-services
They provided before, during, and after videos to show exactly what condition the injectors were in and proof of correct spray pattern and flow afterward. Of course they replace o-rings and caps and several of mine needed some other attention. I first sent them a set of 6 from the b34 which they were able to clean and get perfect. Unfortunately one was damaged in return shipping. They graciously offered to do the 2nd set from the b35 for free. That's when I found out 3 were bad. All reassembled and running like a champ.

cek

Post by cek »

It's pretty incredible how smoothly an M20 (I haven't really tried on my M30) will run with one injector not working.

Last time I needed injectors I cleaned them myself. I didn't get proof they were spraying correctly, which I thinks is probably worth the price of admission of having a pro do it.

I spy with my little eye a Venetian Blue '87-88 911 Targa with WA plates.

My Venetian Blue '88 911 coupe with WA plates.

tseohs

Post by tseohs »

You spy correctly. 87 targa with light silver (not linen) interior. Very lucky to have found this color combo with low mileage and pretty much untouched but in need of typical 911 maintenance-fuel lines, e-brake, shifter and suspension bushings, valve adjust and general tune-up. Other than maintenance, I added the MOMO and an OEM chin spoiler.

tseohs

Post by tseohs »

Back at home. After driving for a few days, fumbling with AFM to smooth idle. New plugs
help as does a little AFM enrichment at idle. Gears are shorter than expected. Good thing I didn't swap in the 3.64

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled
lizard

Post by lizard »

Very nice!
tseohs

Post by tseohs »

Getting ready to send the donor 735 to the crusher and decided to pull this before it goes. Was feeling lazy and didn't really want to do the job and thought I would be happy with the 3.25. However, after driving for a few weeks I think more aggressive gearing would be fun. It's mainly an around town car so not worried about highway RPM.

tseohs

Post by tseohs »

Spent some time cleaning over the holiday weekend and want to share some pics.

Image[/url]Untitled

Image[/url]Untitled

Image[/url]Untitled

Image[/url]Untitled

Image[/url]Untitled

And a very unfortunate incident. I try to avoid highways when I can and absolutely avoid trucks but the local routes were packed recently so I jumped on I-5 and here is the result, right in the sight line in an otherwise pristine screen. I've had the worst luck with windshields. I went through 4 or 5 on my old 850R in ~10 years. I wonder if it's related to the high aggregate composition in the road mix used around here? Guess I'll try to get on the list for new windscreens.

Image[/url]Untitled
tseohs

Post by tseohs »

Rehabbed the rear bumper with a 3/8" thick x 1.75" wide strip of high density rubber. Much slimmer, especially in the corners, than the original.

And the front to match. I think the front looks much cleaner without the plate section and the pieces over the blinkers that were on the original. Lens depth has been adjusted to be flush with the rubber strip.

Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

tseohs wrote: Jul 30, 2021 7:13 PM Rehabbed the rear bumper with a 3/8" thick x 1.75" wide strip of high density rubber. Much slimmer, especially in the corners, than the original.

And the front to match. I think the front looks much cleaner without the plate section and the pieces over the blinkers that were on the original. Lens depth has been adjusted to be flush with the rubber strip.

I've never seen anyone do this before. Great solution!
Ju@n

Post by Ju@n »

Awesome!! That car looks excellent! and a bargain as well :laugh:
I do have a question though, how did you end up fitting the oil cooler? were the lines long enough?
tseohs

Post by tseohs »

No, there's no room to stuff the e32 oil cooler under the radiator and the lines were not long enough to reach below. After reading that the oil rarely gets hot enough under normal use to necessitate a cooler, I decided to delete it.

Here's the current set-up - original lines with a 90 degree elbow.

tseohs

Post by tseohs »

I'm pretty happy with the outcome but this is another of those projects that seems straight-forward and you think will go quickly but when you get into it you realize there are lots of steps and some finesse required to make it look "from the factory".

Manual shade from the e32 donor. Shelf refinished with SEM "desert sand" for interior and carpet. It laid down very evenly with no clumps. I have the factory end clips that screw into the headliner but opted for some simple hook clips for now because I'm hesitant to cut into it. The hooks look and function really well.

thugginrobby

Post by thugginrobby »

I have my sunshade on my parcel shelf but I too am hesitant to cut into my headliner. What hooks did you use?

tseohs wrote: Oct 17, 2021 11:47 PM I'm pretty happy with the outcome but this is another of those projects that seems straight-forward and you think will go quickly but when you get into it you realize there are lots of steps and some finesse required to make it look "from the factory".

Manual shade from the e32 donor. Shelf refinished with SEM "desert sand" for interior and carpet. It laid down very evenly with no clumps. I have the factory end clips that screw into the headliner but opted for some simple hook clips for now because I'm hesitant to cut into it. The hooks look and function really well.

Seeker

Post by Seeker »

You’ve accomplished quite a bit of work to get the car to this point and now you can enjoy the fruits of your labor, well done.
The wheels look good on your car, very stately in my opinion.
leadphut

Post by leadphut »

Cat looks great. Nice progress
tseohs

Post by tseohs »

Had to replace the selector shaft seal. This gave me a chance to clean-up and paint the exhaust. As designed, it was off the car in five minutes. The seal on the other hand was a hassle. Just hope I got it right this time.

Also took the chance to upgrade the cheap trans fluid I used in the initial swap to MTL. Everything was working well, just a bit noisy.

cek

Post by cek »

I’m a huge fan of this thread and car. Hope to meet it (and the OP of course) someday.
tseohs

Post by tseohs »

Thanks for the kind words of inspiration, Charlie.

I also owe a belated thank-you to the rest of you who have chimed in along the way.

While the car is approaching excellence mechanically, I'm not sure I'd have the confidence to show it to many of you. Up close, it shows its scars and failed clear coat.

Peace and take care.

Todd
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

Don't feel that way, Todd. We are all in our respective journeys with our cars together and this is a no-judgement zone!
tseohs

Post by tseohs »

Nothing too fancy, just maintenance and tuning.

This is the Airtex after only a few hundred miles. Upgraded to a single AEM with new lines and cleaned some debris from the pump well.

Car was running really well but plugs read lean so adjusted the AFM another click. Will check after a few miles.

Also scored some sport seats in trade for my extra LSD so should have some real eye candy soon. May be a while because the seats were nearly destroyed. So far has involved welding, adding and shaping multiple thicknesses and densities of foam, painting. Haven't even started reassembly.