Back to the Future... e30

Post your photos and videos here!
RoyW

Back to the Future... e30

Post by RoyW »

A little while back we sold my wife's Honda S2000 which she's had for 5 years... great car and so much fun to drive! Was a little small for an old guy like me getting in and out, but was perfect for her. We just decided it would be one less car to have to store away from the condo. Well, that didn't last long... saw this little baby and with it being Summer-time and she missed having a convertible. So, back to storage with another car :laugh:

It's a one-owner, 76K miles, never driven in Winter, bone stock, no body or paint work ever, and in near perfect condition e30 325i convertible (has some clear coat checking typical on this era BMW). The best news was the price, which was way, way less than you'd expect and less than half what we got for the S2000 :D The bad news is its an automatic, but that will probably be addressed in the future ;) It reminds her of the e30 M3 she had for many years, that my son now owns. What goes around, comes around I guess :D

An interesting sidelight, the guy that bought the S2000, never came to see or drive the car (I advertised it on Car.com and had dozens of inquiries), he never spoke to me on the phone, only communicated via text and email. He gave me a small non-refundable deposit via PayPal and then showed up a few days later with a bank check... strangest car sale transaction I've ever had! :shock: And, those cars really hold there value, as we sold it for $500 more than we paid for it! :D

-RoyW

Image39OFTDLB5FDZPizUD1a0PLG-xIfyn1e6W4-ny_54NTJtLvsUUTN4CiXtduXim8fIkz0-a71BqJHORwvP_-wTWCxchq7nKB5fF_c9zqIV8ICp5nKiMaFLS4g2kMSJcqa2SZWOvhLk2jKo_0ATbg0P_GH2KCRJpP4DjCMJw79BPpV3upGYe0I8Q4g76Wg1aQpyEtWgBw2oXmUJIhXIQ1LYI8 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageG4rW9diDHFw9odfIZBIe2bxBkrVArfDjLDG40eHIuh5kdQJZaFkiXB3BDbvIDFdhULCu4vsVE4z9FqYUnXYjBeco_aZdZfN-v2yRAGsJ32g3AjHManBV4lWGtbeizkuRmTP-NQbBGc5hYArDCJawYvrcURoYgDYfpOAqQssjHZ0WfHOCnfkYI8sSlM14_WFZEzVKFFWKxRo8a1uVTJAwBt by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageUuiwZcwV5FY6rQSAqcA4_obfD26Jf5s1CbqTFubvmLw9jeyWzYYNYG-ppmq5Uk1-KcUL6JE48tjuSgAasLMuD-ItkB77ZCzQa8qmZPGh3TQ0krLXw5qrW7krhwRNBFU6gFJ5arFBpkoVKlG7m6S-GE4XPOPpQ44Qcxc8fOhalXxJHBGVVgWYZ5wQgiDV2dE41_adG71lY6ym5SDYm3SJn3 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
Preacher's 5

Re: Back to the Future... e30

Post by Preacher's 5 »

Very Clean. Enjoy!!
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

I have a soft spot for the E30. The best design for any 3-series ever, the best station wagon of all BMW designs (tie with the E34), and the best of the M3s bar none.

That doesn't take away from my bafflement to see SO MANY E30 convertibles still around. It's almost as if half the E30s ever made were convertibles - a real headscratcher there.
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

Foonfer wrote: Jun 11, 2020 12:01 PM That doesn't take away from my bafflement to see SO MANY E30 convertibles still around. It's almost as if half the E30s ever made were convertibles - a real headscratcher there.
Foonfer..... looks like the worldwide production numbers were about 2.3+M total e30s (all models) built, with 85K of those being convertibles.... so a little less than 4%. Not sure why you see so many around, other than the distinct possibility that they were generally used as "good weather cars only" and probably always garaged ... thus lasting longer than their solid top counterparts? :)

-RoyW
muleskinner

Post by muleskinner »

The e30 cab is a blast and a half to drive. I owned an '87 5 speed for about 4 years. I bought the bronzit on black leather sight unseen on ebay in bone stock US spec form. Once I got it shipped from California to ATL, I added mild lowering springs and shocks, 15" wheels, upgraded audio, a Z3 shifter, resonator delete with a Remus muffler, euro bumpers, and a chip, and enjoyed the hell out of it. Sold it after about 4 years later for a couple of grand more than I paid for it. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one.
cek

Post by cek »

Love it! Nice job Roy.