Rebuilding My 1988 US-spec M5

Post your photos and videos here!
jhh925

Re: Rebuilding My 1988 US-spec M5

Post by jhh925 »

Gratuitous Glasurit shot.

Roger's comment when he showed me this was, "If I could do a whole car that well, I'd charge double!"

He also re-did the right rear quarter. This was the one area where we found prior damage, and the repair work hadn't been that good.

The depth and "blackness" of this black paint is pretty cool.
cek

Post by cek »

I feel like I got such a steal from Ken.

Looks amazing Jens.
jhh925

Post by jhh925 »

OK, I know I'm being a bit gratuitous with all these bodyshop pics, but Roger told me I ought to come by today and have a look, and that I ought to bring a roll of TP, "Cause when you see this you're gonna shit!" Uh oh.

So, here's the rear right quarter. The area under the pinstripe is the new paint. Above the pinstripe is the original paint, carefully worked with a buffer. In-person, I can see signs of where the old ends & the new begins, but I have to be a couple of inches from the car:

Newly painted "slick top" trunk:

And here's the newly painted rear valance. Note that I decided to do the stone guard all the way around.

I'm not sure if I'm remembering it correctly, but I think some or all years of the true Euro M%s had the stone guard only coming around the back corner by 4 or 5 inches. As an example, here's a pic I took of the M5 that BMW has at it's museum in Munich. I think that this is an '85, but I'm not sure:

The original tail panel on all the US cars has stone guard all the way around. I think that looks a lot better and offers better protection. If anyone here vehemently disagrees (or perhaps can confirm that even the Euro M5 had stone guard all the way around?), I'm all ears.

Oh, also, Roger is def going to help clean up the engine bay by painting selected areas to fix scratches & damaged paint, so that's a bit of a relief. In closely related news, I'm resigned to the fact that this car is highly, highly unlikely to be done by St. Paddy's Day 2021 (which had been my original goals). I'll likely get the car back from body & paint before the end of September, but that will be pretty tight timing to get everything back together. And I'm sure tuning the engine management will take longer than expected.
Zengineer

Post by Zengineer »

Not much in the car world that looks better than a quality, deep, black paint job. Very nice, you must be stoked! As the owner of what looks to be an outdoor respray, I'm a bit jealous. ;)
reesesboot

Post by reesesboot »

Incredible work, subscribed. Where did you source the new power steering reservoir stickers? I ordered a set from Pukar Designs a couple months back and haven't heard back - I'm starting to suspect they'll never arrive.
jhh925

Post by jhh925 »

reesesboot wrote: Sep 10, 2020 6:24 PM Incredible work, subscribed. Where did you source the new power steering reservoir stickers? I ordered a set from Pukar Designs a couple months back and haven't heard back - I'm starting to suspect they'll never arrive.
I got them from Pukar. I have two more orders that I'm waiting for, and I'm at about 3 months now. I assume you've seen his most recent autoresponder?
Thank you for your email and please take the time to read this automated reply
Please bear with me and I will reply to all messages ASAP.
There are on going genuine and serious family priorities at this time
and i am unable to reply as quickly as I would like to. All orders are
being processed and will be processed and shipped, BUT everyone get
their order.
Also affecting orders and deliveries times is the ongoing Covid19
pandemic which is impacting 3rd party deliveries to us and there are
internal issues with postal services (mainly USPS)
We have been in business for over 10 years and will continue to
operate and fulfil your order, there is no need to worry
Thank you for your patience & understanding
I'd received an earlier email from him on Aug 20 saying "Bear with me. My mother felll and broke her hip. Will advise."
reesesboot

Post by reesesboot »

Yes, I did receive the automated email. Good to know that it will eventually come, not like it's critical.
milarsky

Post by milarsky »

He is always frustratingly slow and has excuses all the time. He should not take money until he ships. In fact, even when he ships (if he ships) two of my orders never showed up. Just sayin'.
reesesboot

Post by reesesboot »

I’ll give it another few weeks.
mtrspt5

Post by mtrspt5 »

The original tail panel on all the US cars has stone guard all the way around. I think that looks a lot better and offers better protection. If anyone here vehemently disagrees (or perhaps can confirm that even the Euro M5 had stone guard all the way around?), I'm all ears.

My 1985 Euro M5 does not have the stone guard all the way around, consistent with the BMW museum car.
marek

Post by marek »

mtrspt5 wrote: Sep 13, 2020 11:19 PM The original tail panel on all the US cars has stone guard all the way around. I think that looks a lot better and offers better protection. If anyone here vehemently disagrees (or perhaps can confirm that even the Euro M5 had stone guard all the way around?), I'm all ears.

My 1985 Euro M5 does not have the stone guard all the way around, consistent with the BMW museum car.
My 1985 Euro M5 also does not have the stone guard all the way around.
Boneyard Dynamics
Location: Bavaria, not far away from the place the e28s where build

Post by Boneyard Dynamics »

Undercoating on the rear panel depends on the date of production.

early '86 and before => only the corners and sides with undercoating

later 86' and newer => everything below the rear bumper is covered with undercoating

It doesn't depend on the engine or anything else, it's just a matter of production date

According to my pile of e28s the change was between early February '86 and mid March '86

greetings from bavaria,
Wolfgang
jhh925

Post by jhh925 »

Boneyard Dynamics wrote: Sep 24, 2020 3:20 PM Undercoating on the rear panel depends on the date of production.

early '86 and before => only the corners and sides with undercoating

later 86' and newer => everything below the rear bumper is covered with undercoating

It doesn't depend on the engine or anything else, it's just a matter of production date

According to my pile of e28s the change was between early February '86 and mid March '86

greetings from bavaria,
Wolfgang
Good to know. And I think the M5 in the Museum was an '85? So that would be consistent.