E12 528i M90 Project

Post your photos and videos here!
hunneman

E12 528i M90 Project

Post by hunneman »

After owning the car (Naomi) for little over 2 years now and the clear coat is staring to fade and some area the surface rust is begin to expand, I have been looking all along for an auto body shop, and no one wanted to take on a restoration project, they are all interested in collision repair..
So finally i was able to find one close to my house less than 5 miles away.. :D :) :shock:

When i purchased the car the engine didn't run due to Sta-bil gas, changed out the spark plugs, wires, oil and filter along with fuel filter..
also the drive train need a center bearing support with Guibo. The other problem was the salve cylinder for the clutch was soft, ended up rebuilding the slave..
I was able to get the car moving but after the first test ride, the brakes would not work because of the brake line hoses were clogged due to rust build up,I replaced them with stainless steel hoses from IE.

This is how the car looked like when first purchase from Oldskool, it was a North Carolina car. The body surprising in good shape with just surface rust around the tail lights, gas tank door. floor boards, wheel well front and rear are rust free! :D
The car is all original, the engine had 177,000 miles..shocks where gone ...

Over time i made some upgrades to thew car like Alpina wheel, Alpina front spoiler, added B&g lowering springs with Belsteins shocks HD. But the car still is to high in the rear.. would like to get rear springs that lower the rear, maybe the H&R springs would work better..need to look into it further.
I was able to purchase from Walloth & Nesch a set of euro bumpers, what a difference the stance is much better

So I get a call from Jim the owner of the body shop (AV Repair in N Andover MA) and tells that he is kinda slow and can take my car. I said great I can have the car ready for you in a week..so I began taking apart Naomi, I have to say the car is in great shape for 38 yr old rust wise a few areas of small concern but nothing to inder the integrity of the body..

usual firewall rust:

Found some rust under the gas pedal due to PO having a leak from the heater core antifreeze was under the insulation grrr

So I stopped by today and the bodyshop is progressing really well..

had the front large turn signal patched..

I had them remove the front fender to see if there was any rust wheel well is clean rust free

Last edited by hunneman on Jan 25, 2020 8:40 AM, edited 2 times in total.
oldskool

Re: E12 528i M90 Project

Post by oldskool »

Dear Gawd man. . .
lateforlunch

Post by lateforlunch »

Nice work so far! I'll be following along :)
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

Why wouldn't you buy euro fenders instead of patching the holes in the US versions?
hunneman

Post by hunneman »

Adam W in MN wrote:Why wouldn't you buy euro fenders instead of patching the holes in the US versions?
I tried to purchase them at my local dealer, which I have a good relationship, they came back saying I didn't have a euro car they couldn't place the order, then I tried Wallatoh & Nesch they emailed saying he didn't have them any longer right or left fender I did order a new hood from them. I then placed an order via ECS tuning they came back as back ordered and now they have updated the website to reflect such..Then I found a Craigslist ad in CA in the picture they looked Euro but after I purchased them and had them delivered they were US version with the patch and fenders were rolled, and slight damaged of a bad roll ... :x :cry: :down:
I gave up, but I did purchase the precut conversion sheet metal form First five member Paul Cain for 79.00. Great job laser cutting them.. :cool:

In the last 2 years body parts are very hard to find...Just before Bavarian Auto in NH closed down I ask one of the reps if i could drive up to NH as i am only 40 mins away, and look over the body parts inventory for anything related to E12 I also purchased a new trunk lid..for 100.00 (BMW original).
So the body shop owner has a person working on vehicle until it's finished (very fortunate), therefore I didn't want to lose time chasing down fenders..
hunneman

Post by hunneman »

I thought I would update you guys on the M90 engine...I found this engine i believe it was a firstfive ad or bigcoupe don't remember, but it was an engine out of a euro 1980 635i I went and picked it up as it was a 1 3/4 drive from my house..
it was taken apart already, but he had all the parts..
ImageBlock_3 by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr
ImageBlock_4 by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr
ImageBlock_2 by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr
the head was it good shape
ImageHead_Bottom by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr

I brought to Mike at Malden machine shop he builds racing engine for drag cars..he took a look at the engine and pressured tested the block along with the head, all turn out fine.. So i instructed him to polish the crankshaft and mill the head, reset the valves, paint the block and change out the freeze plugs.
I then reached out to Devens Piston and rings in Las Vegas and had a set of new ring made the the original pistons (new rings from BMW were NLA) I then found a Shrick cam ...
Image20180803_095413 (002) by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr
Image20180803_095401 (002) by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr
Image20190902_144108 (002) by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr

I am debating going with Motronic 1.3 or mega squirt (I am lean towards mega squirt as i believe it would give me more horsepower with schrick cam).
I know i am not using L jet, so I have purchased a Motronic distributor cover, and had it milled to the head.

Image20180803_095447 (002) by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr
Image20180803_095401 by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr
Image20180803_095358 by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr
Image20180803_095322 by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr

I also am having the valve cover and all the aluminium parts sprayed in Cerakote finish..with E21 runners
Imagevalve cover cerakote by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

Have you looked at my website for details on my M90 engine rebuild? Also the thread on here about the bodywork on my E12 could be useful to you.
hunneman

Post by hunneman »

Adam, I viewed your website a few years ago, and found very informative..I actually viewed it recently, about your rear springs..
I don't like the way my rear sits... its and 1"-1 1/4 to high..I see your car and others Alpina B7 like Frank Haas's old car, sit lower...
I think I need to install H&R springs..
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

I'm happy with the rears but I want to get the front a little lower.
hunneman

Post by hunneman »

what kind of lowering spring do you have installed?
maybeillbuyit

Post by maybeillbuyit »

Wow, this is alot of progress since I last was on here. Do the e21 intake runners match up perfectly to the e12 injector housings and intake accumulator, or is there a little porting work needed?
hunneman

Post by hunneman »

maybeillbuyit wrote:Wow, this is alot of progress since I last was on here. Do the e21 intake runners match up perfectly to the e12 injector housings and intake accumulator, or is there a little porting work needed?
The E21 runner bolt up with no modification at all. The runners allow for more power at the lower RPM between 1500 to 2500 RPM, i have not tried them yet on the M90 engine, but i have on the current 2,8l engines..what a difference with a simple change .. I believe Occoupe on his 3.0 Csi

I also got a call from the Cerakote guys telling me that the aluminium parts were ready..

as I posted in the first five forum i purchase a few months ago a Copy Cad Electroplating kit, this allowed me to restore parts for the car in small batches which avoids losing parts bolt and brackets.. i am very pleased with the outcome..

Last edited by hunneman on Jan 25, 2020 8:43 AM, edited 1 time in total.
hunneman

Post by hunneman »

does anyone know what kind of tools that allow you to remove the window covering that is anodized
item #2 in the pic.
I actually want to get them re-anodized I found a company hear in MA.

Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

I thought the window trim was bright dip, not anodized?
Ordnator

Post by Ordnator »

This was just posted by John H on forum.bmw5.co.uk:

https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/140447-d ... m-removal/

It is for E28's but the same principle should apply.

Regards,

Mick
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

Impressive. I'm intrigued as to why did you plug over the front turn lenses - in my mind, one of the nicest, most distinctive and well done adaptations for the US market in any foreign car.
hunneman

Post by hunneman »

Adam W in MN wrote:I thought the window trim was bright dip, not anodized?
I really am not sure if they are anodized, you could be right about bright dip..
Foonfer wrote:Impressive. I'm intrigued as to why did you plug over the front turn lenses - in my mind, one of the nicest, most distinctive and well done adaptations for the US market in any foreign car.
When i lived in Europe I only knew the body with no side turn signal..I like the clean less busy look...
hunneman

Post by hunneman »

Ordnator wrote:This was just posted by John H on forum.bmw5.co.uk:

Regards,

Mick
this is exactly what i was looking for..thanks Mick
Ordnator

Post by Ordnator »

hunneman wrote:
Ordnator wrote:This was just posted by John H on forum.bmw5.co.uk:

Regards,

Mick
this is exactly what i was looking for..thanks Mick
Your welcome, happy to help a fellow enthusiast.

Regards,

Mick
hunneman

Post by hunneman »

I went by to check on Naomi, most of the firewall repair and transmission tunnel repair is complete...then he moved into the cabin area and wire brushed the floor pan and repaired the gas pedal area..

they also tackled the motor bay area sanded down the rails !!

after they sand blaster the battery pan area some pin holes appear that needed some attention..

GAs pedal repair..

I am glad to have the inside cabin area clean and wire brush, i ask them to paint he inside as well..

the front and rear wheel well are in great shape. I can't believe this area does not have any rust what so ever compared to the
firewall...
Driver side

Passenger side

I am trilled that the front windshield channel is rust free, i was afraid some hidden rust would be festering under the gasket..

So as i was leaving the body shop they mentioned that they were going to patch up the rear side city lights and prime the engine bay area with rust inhibitor...and the roof area would be etching primer.. everything is moving along as scheduled...
Last edited by hunneman on Jan 25, 2020 8:46 AM, edited 1 time in total.
hunneman

Post by hunneman »

Happy New Year everyone...
Just got back from Aruba, where I spent the Xmas holiday's...

I stopped by the body shop and I was eager to see what else was done on the car...
I had them patch the rear side lights, I had purchased the patches from Firstfive member

Imagedr side rear city l;ight patch by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0315 by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr+
Also the rear openings for the bumper shock were covered..
Imagerear panel patch by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr

Imagepassanger rear patch by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0319 by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr
ImageRear quarter repair by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr
ImageRear repaired by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr
Imagerear quarter II by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr
Imagerear quarter III by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr
Imagepassenger side by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr
He also sprayed a sealant in the from engine bay area and inside the wheel wells..
ImageDSC_0321 by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0322 by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0312 by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0309 by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0310 by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0311 by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr

to my surprised he also primed the Driver side areas that are finished ...

Imagedr side primed III by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr
Imagedr side primed jams by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr

after finishing the repair around the gas pedal and transmission tunnel he also sprayed sealant inside the cabin area

Imageinside sealed by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0328 by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr
Imageinside sealed II by Joe Fanuele, on
Flickr
Imageinside sealed III by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr

I am having the Rear suspension and the front sub Frame coated with POR 15 , the remaining components power-coated

Image20191222_123936 by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr
Image20191222_123859 by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr
Image20191222_123905 by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr
Image20191222_123932 by Joe Fanuele, on Flickr
oldskool

Post by oldskool »

Outstanding! -and I really appreciate you not calling it a "Barn Find" even though I live in a barn.
ahab

Post by ahab »

Stunning work. Glad I found this thread. I may stop in and talk this guy about the Schnitzer.
hunneman

Post by hunneman »

oldskool wrote:Outstanding! -and I really appreciate you not calling it a "Barn Find" even though I live in a barn.
Well after the car arrived, I parked in the garage my wife and son did not know about the purchase,( they knew i was in the market for E12), when my wife saw it she called it a barn find...As you know the car wasn't operable, once i got my hands on the motor i got it started in 15 mins..at that moment i decided not to call it a barn find!! :laugh: :lol: :roll:
oldskool

Post by oldskool »

hunneman wrote:
oldskool wrote:Outstanding! -and I really appreciate you not calling it a "Barn Find" even though I live in a barn.
Well after the car arrived, I parked in the garage my wife and son did not know about the purchase,( they knew i was in the market for E12), when my wife saw it she called it a barn find...As you know the car wasn't operable, once i got my hands on the motor i got it started in 15 mins..at that moment i decided not to call it a barn find!! :laugh: :lol: :roll:
It's a good thing that you found it. It was in serious danger of living with me for another season!