Boom's 1988 535is

Post your photos and videos here!
mosportgreen66

Re: Boom's 1988 535is

Post by mosportgreen66 »

Wow! Wonderful build and commitment. This makes me want an e28 in the absolute worst way.

Dan
boomvader

Post by boomvader »

Picked up a somewhat rare 1982 320is in San Diego last week. Planned to be in Phoenix for work anyway, so it wasn't much of a stretch to redirect my flight from PHX to SAN and to also change it from a round trip to a one-way ticket. Yep, Rob's book 'Ran When Parked' had me jonesing for a cross country trip with a car I hardly knew! Mid-life crisis, perhaps....

She was in dire need of some TLC, but appeared to be straight. Her Recaro seats were near perfect and interior unmolested. I took her for an initial test drive. Paid the seller and drove away. I stopped shortly after and gave it a once over before heading east to Phoenix. Once there, I would juggle my work responsibilities and in my 'free' time, I would get her ready for the 2000 mile trek to Asheville. Luckily, my dad lives there and I was able to work on the car at his place. Fluids, belts, alternator bushings, filters and a quick wash was all I did to it before heading home. I also used the car all week for work, save money on rental, and build trust in the car's current condition. On Sunday, October 13th, I hit the highway. While not a speed demon back when it was new, it was down right slow by today's standards. Climbing up the hill to Flagstaff was a bit slow, but it made it without issue. I was amazed how well the car drove and how almost everything still worked. Not bad for a car with 302,000 miles!! 3 days on the road and I made it home! Day 1 PHX-Amarillo, Day 2 Amarillo to Memphis, Day 3 Memphis to Asheville. No problems save for a warm restart issue that I believe to be the in-tank fuel pump. Good times overall and I highly recommend the experience! Although, it would be could possibly be a little bit more comfortable on my old bones in a an e28! ;-)

Yesterday morning, I jumped in my e28 and drove my son to school. WOW, what a treat to ride in that car after spending more than a week driving the e21! I think the e21 might get a bike rack and be used to shuttle me and my MTB to the trailhead and back. It's a fun little car!

Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Congrats Boom!

The differences between the E21 and E28 are insane. I love both of mine and they serve different purposes. Thank god for a 2 car garage! Wait- you need more space!

Gonna need to cage your signature to reflect your collection...
muleskinner

Post by muleskinner »

The e21 was unfairly bashed for being underpowered compared with its predecessor. Anyone who has ever driven one knows It's still a blast to drive.
George Hanson

Post by George Hanson »

Nice work on the 535is, looks great.
boomvader

Post by boomvader »

Thanks for all the kind comments! Driving the e21 is fun, but it has made me really appreciate the solid feel of the e28!
boomvader

Post by boomvader »

Sold the e21.
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

That didn't last long
boomvader

Post by boomvader »

Adam W in MN wrote:That didn't last long
It was fun, but a bit underwhelming, especially up here in the mountains.
boomvader

Post by boomvader »

My car is now for sale. Best reasonable offer takes her home. Clean title. Not many around in this condition. Come get her!