Noisy Car Update

Post your photos and videos here!
williamtii

Noisy Car Update

Post by williamtii »

I finally got my hands on a 528e, been wanting one for some time. I've had many e30's in past along with e36, e38, and my trusty 2002tii that I have had since I was 18.

Found this on Craigs in Western PA and the guy said he got it from a guy near Syracuse last fall. The 2002tii is Atlantic so the e28 is the perfect big brother. Does anyone know who had this car and did the work?
It looks like it was very well cared for most of its life. Very little rust, underside is great and interior and engine bay are all very clean considering being a northeast car being 32 years old with the clock stopped at 190K.

The previous dude put in sport seats from an E36, nice shift knob and boot, H&R's and mystery dampers, muffler delete, baller ass staggered M-Parallels, and my favorite, big headlight small headlight !
The rear euro bumper is pretty much slammed on there and the Fog lights are not wired??? Looks like he tried and just busted up the switches instead......

So far my to do list is as follows, many of the issues appear common but I welcome any input or guidance!

1. It's slow, dead slow, with 2-3 bad flat spots in the acceleration range. I'm going for a good AFM first but I've had e30's with 300K+ that don't have flat spots like this!
2. Ditch the giant hella flush staggered 18's for 16' e39 baskets I have in the basement. Roof basket will be on / off depending on highway usage.
3. HVAC system. I've heard these cars are notorious and i t looks like I'm starting with a full compliment. I replaced the cheapo tin fuses with real ones and was rewarded with a smoking / seized heater fan the next morning, yayyyy.
It also seems that the heater valve is constantly pissing hot air into the cabin no matter the setting. Is this a common thing?
Will need to get the A/C up to speed. Someone put R134 connectors on it and I can see UV dye in there so it looks like an attempt was made. There is a tiny bit of pressure and the clutch kicks on so hoping for an easy fill up here.
4. Brakes - I can see he did the pads and painted the calipers but a passenger side caliper is definitely sticking. I am also getting a little kickback from the pedal at times which I think could be air in the lines? The clutch dropped a couple days ago
so thinking this could be related?
5. Odometer gears are dead, fuel and temp gauges are erratic at best. From the posts it looks like erratic gauges are usually the fault of bad grounds.
6. OBC light is dead, I have the LED bar from Garagistic on the way along with odometer gears to do at the same time. Will also investigate the dead cruise control
7. Shifter rebuild and redline for the trans. Shifter and boot are great but its sloppier than my old iX with 350K

Onto some pics

williamtii

Re: Noisy Car Update

Post by williamtii »

Its been almost a year with some progress made. AFM issue sorted, HVAC sorted with a new fan and an e46 valve, OBC fixed and a whole lot of other small things that popped up.

I kept the no muffler pipe on a whole year because my two year old loved it but it was too much. Stock muffler is on now so I can hear the radio.

This is the first car I have ever had to downsize wheels on. Original intention was to get E38 baskets but my cousin really wanted to see it with white style 32's so here we are! Did the front brakes with E32 stuff. Heres the freshness with some other pics too from the past year.

LeiseyJr

Re: Noisy Car Update

Post by LeiseyJr »

Unique e28, love the color. The e36 sports actually don't look that out of place. Hope it continues to be a good steed to you