Meet Porter: 88 535is

Post your photos and videos here!
Smileyboy

Meet Porter: 88 535is

Post by Smileyboy »

This is Porter.

He’s a 1988 BMW 535is. I am no stranger to owning the e28. I had one a while ago and I so regret selling the last one so… I bought another. This time, I will be trying to tackle the repairs myself…. Maybe

Meet……Porter!

He reminds me of Porterhouse steaks, porter beer and all the good things in life. Like taking trips like this with my wife.

I picked it up from Southern California. My brother in law test drove the car for me, paid for it and parked it at his house for the last 2 month.

During that time I had the car inspected by Costal Motor Works. I got a call from the owner who told me I had his old car. The car has history and seems to be taken care of.

I finally made the trip via plane to Hillsboro, Or to Orange, CA to pick it up.

We drove to Fremont to visit some friends and to attend a Portuguese educational class.

We drove to Fort Bragg and spent the night.

Porter did very well.

However, I did make a large list of things to repair on this 244k E28.

My goal is to make Porter a daily driver.

Just cleaned Porter up today.

I got my new Sport seats installed too. I just need to order some of the plastics that go around the base of the chair.
Dale3783

Re: Meet Porter: 88 535is

Post by Dale3783 »

Nice looking car. Congrats! My first car in high school in 99 was an Alpine e28. Always have a soft spot for one. Keep the posts coming.
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Great looking car!
Share your to do list. Looking forward to your progress.
cek

Post by cek »

Love it. Subscribed!
danix

Post by danix »

Nice seats! Props for the Portuguese class :)
Smileyboy

Post by Smileyboy »

danix wrote:Nice seats! Props for the Portuguese class :)
Thanks. Portuguese is a fantastic language. I can't believe the amount of people I meet on a weekly basis that speak it here in the states. Very cool
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

That’s a sharp car and great color combo
HapaSnacks

Post by HapaSnacks »

Oh man I'm from OC and didn't see that car for sale. It's really clean, inside and out especially for the miles. Congrats on getting back into an E28!
Smileyboy

Post by Smileyboy »

Just got my e46 heater valve in I hope to start this modification soon so that my car is drivable again. Anyone have any links for where to get the proper wiring clip for the heater? Thanks in advance.
Smileyboy

Post by Smileyboy »

HapaSnacks wrote:Oh man I'm from OC and didn't see that car for sale. It's really clean, inside and out especially for the miles. Congrats on getting back into an E28!
Thanks! Milage was high 244k but it runs great and I have an engine rebuild in the works :D Overall a very clean car. I'm happy
SeattleGuy

Post by SeattleGuy »

Nice! I have Porter's Alpine litter-mate here in Seattle with Cardinal, also an '88. Just a baby with 150K. I notice that in addition to the door extension sills your door moulding strip is different from factory too. Factory has a chrome strip on top but I can't see one on yours. What else unique have you noticed?

I regret losing my last E28 too so I am dedicated to keeping this one!
Ordnator

Post by Ordnator »

Looks to be the shadow-line (Schwartz) side molding along with front and rear windscreen shadow-line lock-strip.

Currently in the midst of changing from chrome to shadow-line trim on my Zobelbraun Eta.

Regards,

Mick
Smileyboy

Post by Smileyboy »

SeattleGuy wrote:Nice! I have Porter's Alpine litter-mate here in Seattle with Cardinal, also an '88. Just a baby with 150K. I notice that in addition to the door extension sills your door moulding strip is different from factory too. Factory has a chrome strip on top but I can't see one on yours. What else unique have you noticed?

I regret losing my last E28 too so I am dedicated to keeping this one!

Good eye. I'll have to keep an eye out for differences. I haven't really thought about that too much. My first e28 was black with tan interior. It was an 86.

I'll take a look at your pics
Smileyboy

Post by Smileyboy »

I've finally installed the e46 Heater control valve. No more coolant leaks! Yay!!

Not too bad of an install, I've secured it with zipties until I finish the bracket for the HVC.

Now it's time to move on to the front suspension. I have a shimmy over 50mph. I'm looking at ordering the e31 LCA and UCB from Moosehead.... Still researching though. I hope to get to this once I get in some time in the next week or so.

My list of repairs is growing:

Remove the front seats, clean up the tracks, install plastic covers on the motors, fix the headrest motor (DONE). power bolster motor

Repair driver door armrest/handle.DONE

Replace 17inch wheels with 16x8 with Firestone Firehawks.

Redo stereo system using. stock radio. Found a CM5908

Repaint front spoiler and install foglights.

Sand and paint black trim around bumpers

Finish B35 refresh and install.

Refresh front suspension.

Add USBC/USB ports next to stereo.

Remove a few of the body dings I found and repaint...
Smileyboy

Post by Smileyboy »

Not much time lately to post.
However, I got a few items repaired on the car, like the front suspension. Its all new. However the 17s kind of follow the grooves in the road. I'm not sure if that is due to the fact the car needs an alignment or if the tire size is the issue.

I'll find out once the alignment gets done.

Anyone have any experience with Firehawks on these cars? I'd like to know before I pull the trigger on 205/55/16s. I found a set of 16x8 E38 wheels local for $50. I think that will be my hold over until I find a proper 16x7.5 or something else I like. Image

I also was able to get sport seat armrest brackets ordered for my sports seats. I just need to find some E34 armrests. :D
Ordnator

Post by Ordnator »

I have 17" style 5's from the E34 and the 16" style 5's from the E38 and the 16"s for me are the superior driving and handling tyre in every respect.

My 17"s wheels "tram lined" on a newly refreshed and aligned complete suspension and steering system, as you described above.

The issue I have is that the 17" wheels fill the arches nicely and look so much nicer than the 16" wheels.

Form over function?

Just my $0.02.

Regards,

Mick
LeiseyJr

Post by LeiseyJr »

Smileyboy wrote:Not much time lately to post.
However, I got a few items repaired on the car, like the front suspension. Its all new. However the 17s kind of follow the grooves in the road. I'm not sure if that is due to the fact the car needs an alignment or if the tire size is the issue.

I'll find out once the alignment gets done.

Anyone have any experience with Firehawks on these cars? I'd like to know before I pull the trigger on 205/55/16s. I found a set of 16x8 E38 wheels local for $50. I think that will be my hold over until I find a proper 16x7.5 or something else I like. Image

I also was able to get sport seat armrest brackets ordered for my sports seats. I just need to find some E34 armrests. :D
Get 225/50 R16 hankook nobles will be fine for daily driving.

Spirited Dunlop Direzza DZ102 works well, can even go up to 200tw if you want but DZ102 is probably as grippy as most people will need on street.
cactusjacks1

Post by cactusjacks1 »

Hi Josh,
"Porter"s" appearance has improved quite a lot since I first saw it. Looks like your making some good progress on your to do list. Need some new pic's! :lol:

Jack
Smileyboy

Post by Smileyboy »

Porter is still getting some repairs :D

The odometer stopped working this week. I think it may be the gears, I couldn’t find any repairs done as I combed through the 32 years of work history.....

This weekend I was able to find a rear sway bar from a car being parted out. Mine was missing.

I ordered the rear sway bar links, new power flex subframe bushings.

I also am looking into reconnecting the original antenna, just because.

I think I have finally found a shop to do a glass out repaint on the car. I’m very excited.

I am concerned about the trim pieces. Should I look into getting new clips and moldings for the exterior trim pieces before I drop the car off? If so, what items are suggested to be replaced?
Smileyboy

Post by Smileyboy »

Fun times this afternoon. Cleaning up the old hood insulation and prepping for some new stuff.

Used some Goo Gone and Plastic putty knives. :D

Also, got my Supersprint exhaust system in too.
Can't wait to get this one removed.

Hffvdbl

Post by Hffvdbl »

Looking good! That under hood insulation job is a right of passage :) I’ve done it twice! It’s oddly satisfying. Keep up the good work!
Smileyboy

Post by Smileyboy »

Hood insulation in!!

I started the process of of getting my car ready to get painted.
My friend has the body work and paint experience... I do what I am told stand around watching him

There were quite a few small dents... almost like someone used a BB gun..

Had to remove the rear glass to see how much rust was back there. It wasn't too bad. But now I have an opportunity to redo the headliner and back deck. I think, I'm going with black.

Good times ahead. :D
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Great to see the update and progress.
Looking forward to seeing the headliner replacement and the process- please share.
Keep it up!
SeattleGuy

Post by SeattleGuy »

Where did you get your pads and how much?

-Your White Soul Brother :laugh:
Smileyboy

Post by Smileyboy »

Pads?