My Balticblau E28

Post your photos and videos here!
tuffode

My Balticblau E28

Post by tuffode »

Hey guys, purchased my first E28. My E30 needs a new engine, and needs a bunch of other stuff so I decided on just storing it for now to restore in the future.
Planning on using this thread to document everything I do/get done on the car.
So the car is a 1983 528e 5 Speed. This one was too good of condition to pass up, and the price was great too. It's Baltic Blue over Beige. It was stored in a garage by a rich old couple in Greenwich so the paint looks brand new. It blows my mind due to how old the car is. I am the third owner, the second owner only had it for a few months. It has the brochure, and all the original manuals. The interior is in great shape too, seats have wear and some cracks but I really don't mind this as I sort of like the "patina." The dash also has minimal cracking. It even has the original stereo. The wheels are bottlecaps, but they are white. Are they like this from the factory? Or did the a previous owner paint it?
It has minimal rust, the only locations are under the hood, theres a small area, and in the trunk there are 2 tiny 2mm holes, which leads me to my concerns...
The front passenger foot well and the passenger foot well right behind were wet. But I am not sure where the water could be coming from. If anyone has an idea on how to find out, let me know please. The trunk was moist but not really wet, and has some slight surface rust and these 2 tiny holes underneath the spare wheel. It also smelled sort of musty. So I am not sure where this is coming from, I am assuming the tail light gaskets but I am not sure. Another thing were the windows. The power switches sort of worked in the beginning of the test drive, but then they started working on and off. Not sure what could be wrong, and how I would go about fixing this.
I am going back to pick the car up on Sunday (can't wait), and drive it back down 2 hours.

Only have a few pictures right now. I'll post better pics, and pictures of the problems on Sunday when I get the car!
Last edited by tuffode on Jul 10, 2018 1:08 PM, edited 4 times in total.
Kyle in NO
Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA

Re: Bought my first E28!

Post by Kyle in NO »

The wheels aren’t white, they’re oxidized silver.
tuffode

Post by tuffode »

Kyle in NO wrote:The wheels aren’t white, they’re oxidized silver.
Wow, didn't know that. :oops:
topher800

Post by topher800 »

Re: water leaks

For me the passenger floor dampness was due to a poor windshield install. But also get some weed-eater line and run it down all 4 drain holes in the sunroof. Run it through until you see the other end.

For the trunk, first thing is to check the tail light gaskets. Driving in the rain will suck water into the trunk. Any crack in the tail light will draw water in. And obviously the trunk gasket.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Shawn D. »

Congratulations and welcome!
tuffode wrote:
Kyle in NO wrote:The wheels aren’t white, they’re oxidized silver.
Wow, didn't know that. :oops:
Actually, they're white now. The factory silver paint was applied over a white basecoat and has evidently worn off. You can see this even on pristine wheels when you look at the inboard side -- they're often white and unpainted.
tuffode

Post by tuffode »

topher800 wrote:Re: water leaks

For me the passenger floor dampness was due to a poor windshield install. But also get some weed-eater line and run it down all 4 drain holes in the sunroof. Run it through until you see the other end.

For the trunk, first thing is to check the tail light gaskets. Driving in the rain will suck water into the trunk. Any crack in the tail light will draw water in. And obviously the trunk gasket.
Thanks for the info, hopefully it’s just the sunroof drainholes and not windshield.
tuffode

Post by tuffode »

Shawn D. wrote:Congratulations and welcome!

Actually, they're white now. The factory silver paint was applied over a white basecoat and has evidently worn off. You can see this even on pristine wheels when you look at the inboard side -- they're often white and unpainted.
Thanks!
I like the way they look white, so is it fine if I leave the wheels like that, or do I need to paint them to prevent further damage?
a

Post by a »

The first thing to do is to replace the timing belt. It looks beautiful. How is it underneath? Welcome
tuffode

Post by tuffode »

a wrote:The first thing to do is to replace the timing belt. It looks beautiful. How is it underneath? Welcome
Thank you! The previous owner had gotten it replaced a few months ago, so I don't have to worry about that. It's very straight, and there's not rust underneath. It's in great condition. I'll try posting pics on Sunday.
duggi

Post by duggi »

Congratulations and condolences.

After driving an e28, you'll never look at another car the same again, and that's both a good thing and a bad thing. :rofl:
tuffode

Post by tuffode »

duggi wrote:Congratulations and condolences.

After driving an e28, you'll never look at another car the same again, and that's both a good thing and a bad thing. :rofl:
Thanks. I’ll find out if thats true shortly :laugh:
Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Nice! Looks just like mine
tuffode

Post by tuffode »

Zeta wrote:Nice! Looks just like mine
Yeah, they are very similar. Thanks!
John SCB

Post by John SCB »

Is that your wallet on the passenger side seat? You'll probably want to keep it out and ready to open up frequently ;)

Congrats and good luck with your new car.
GoNoles

Post by GoNoles »

tuffode wrote:The trunk was moist but not really wet, and has some slight surface rust and these 2 tiny holes underneath the spare wheel. It also smelled sort of musty. So I am not sure where this is coming from, I am assuming the tail light gaskets but I am not sure. \
That's enough for water to get in, for sure. Check around the license plate lamps too.

Looks like a nice car, how did you find it? Even after purchasing mine, I still keep up with local listings and never saw that one.
tuffode

Post by tuffode »

John SCB wrote:Is that your wallet on the passenger side seat? You'll probably want to keep it out and ready to open up frequently ;)

Congrats and good luck with your new car.
:laugh: , thank you!
GoNoles wrote: That's enough for water to get in, for sure. Check around the license plate lamps too.

Looks like a nice car, how did you find it? Even after purchasing mine, I still keep up with local listings and never saw that one.
Thanks, for sure I'll check there.

I found it on Craigslist, it was actually in Connecticut where you are. The asking was a bit high which is why you might not have payed attention to it, but he came down quite a bit. I posted a WTB on some forums but all of the examples were either way too high of a price, or they were projects which I wasn't really looking to do.
cek

Post by cek »

Nice find. Welcome to the insanity.
tuffode

Post by tuffode »

cek wrote:Nice find. Welcome to the insanity.
Thanks! I just checked out your E28s and the 911. What a great garage, hopefully mine can look like that someday haha.
Ordnator

Post by Ordnator »

Hi,

Nice find.

Check the sealing grommets on the air vent covers on the C-pillars. They can let water into the trunk if the are perished / missing. The main stealers still carry these for not a lot of $.

Replaced mine on the Zobelbraun Eta last year.

Regards,

Mick
tuffode

Post by tuffode »

Ordnator wrote:Hi,

Nice find.

Check the sealing grommets on the air vent covers on the C-pillars. They can let water into the trunk if the are perished / missing. The main stealers still carry these for not a lot of $.

Regards,

Mick
Thanks. For sure, I'll check that out and see if that's the problem. Still have to wait 2 more days to pick up the car, waiting is so hard
tuffode

Post by tuffode »

Ordnator wrote:Hi,

Nice find.

Regards,

Mick
For sure, I'll check that out and see if that's the problem.Thanks.
Still have to wait 2 more days to pick up the car, waiting :|
tuffode

Post by tuffode »

Finally picked it up today, drove it down two and a half hours back to NJ. It drove great.
It's dark now, so I can't post more pics today. I'll post some detailed shots sometime tomorrow.

e28Sean

Post by e28Sean »

Niiiiice!
simonm11

Post by simonm11 »

awesome! looks like a great one, glad to have another e28 in NJ. when i bought mine i also had water on my foot wells and the trunk, for the foot wells it turned out to be the sunroof drain holes. easy fix, but the trunk... let me tell you... it took me a VERY LONG TIME to find where the water was coming in from. i replaced the trunk seal, tail lights gaskets, licence plate lights, antenna grommets, c-pillar grommets, etc. pretty much everything you could think off. the frustration lead me to one day lock myself inside the trunk with a flashlight and had my GF pour like 50 buckets of water (i dont have a hose, :( lol) until i finally saw the damn leak, the water was coming in from one hole of the screws that hold the bumper plastic cover center piece. put a bit of good'ol silicone around it and VIOLA! dry trunk ever since. :D
tuffode

Post by tuffode »

Washed and waxed the car today. Got it registered, and transferred the plates from my E30. Didn't get time to do much else. Going to take a look at the leaks, and also use some trim restorer on all the black rubber and plastic bits tomorrow!
Last edited by tuffode on Jul 09, 2018 11:27 PM, edited 1 time in total.