My Balticblau E28

Post your photos and videos here!
e28Sean

Re: My Balticblau E28

Post by e28Sean »

tuffode wrote:I think the earlier models had the buzz (like 80s MB’s) and they probably changed to the ding in a later year. Mines an 83
Ahh. That seems reasonable. Mine is an '86.
tuffode

Post by tuffode »

I think the relay is the reason the windows are not working. I tested it, and it didn't make any clicks. Just ordered a replacement, should be here soon.
Last edited by tuffode on Feb 07, 2019 12:07 AM, edited 1 time in total.
tuffode

Post by tuffode »

Took a short drive in the snow today. Haven't done much to the car in the last couple of months, I'm looking on getting a new set of wheels because these bottlecaps are beat. Also looking to put in a 3.25 LSD soon.
tuffode

Post by tuffode »

Just came back from a short drive. It was cloudy, so I thought I would take a couple pics.

I really need to get new rims.

Dimm6

Post by Dimm6 »

Reviving and old thread. I bought this car from the guy whom you sold it too. The car is doing well. It’s now in much better shape than it was when I bought it. I’m not sure how long the guy had it before he sold it to me, but it was really neglected.

The car now has newer e34 wheels, which are soon to be swapped out with some period correct AC Schnitzers. Also has a new interior as well as many other updates. The paint was rough, but I managed to bring it back to life. It was repainted at some point so it wasn’t that hard to get its shine back. I still have a new shocks and springs that need to be installed as well as a new front spoiler. I have 2 of them and haven’t decided which look to go for.

Currently the car is in the shop for a new head gasket. Once I get it back, the new suspension will go on and then the wheels and so forth. I wish I had more time.

I have a dedicated Instagram page for the car. You can see all of my updates to it there.

@uglybette28 on Instagram

https://www.flickr.com/photos/196628188 ... P99Qoyq2cU.

This is the day I brought her home.

I finally figured out the picture posting. Let me know if all of you see the full pic. I also included the link, just in case.
Last edited by Dimm6 on Apr 06, 2023 7:21 AM, edited 3 times in total.
Dirtym30

Post by Dirtym30 »

Couldn't find you on instagram. Add me @GLEDAUTO
Dimm6

Post by Dimm6 »

Dirtym30 wrote: Oct 01, 2022 9:35 AM Couldn't find you on instagram. Add me @GLEDAUTO
Done.
Dimm6

Post by Dimm6 »

I’ve been updating the car as much as I can. I’m a able to do the basic things. When I first got the car I compounded and waxed the entire car. I was able to remove a big scuff from the driver door. The paint is newer than the car, so that was a big plus. I changed all the trim around the front and rear windshields. I also changed the gaskets around the sunroof. The chrome around the window made a huge difference appearance wise.

Last edited by Dimm6 on Oct 13, 2022 7:34 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Dimm6

Post by Dimm6 »

After all the trim replacement I also bought new grommets for the c-pillar vents. I’m surprised they didn’t fly off while driving. After moving on from the outside I had to focus on the interior. The front and rear seats were worn and ripped in multiple places. They were beyond repair. I was able to source a complete set of seats from a car being parted out about an hour away. They were in great shape, but smelled bad from the car being parked a few years. I cleaned them up and let them air out all summer. While the interior was out I also shampooed the carpets. They were equally filthy.

Dimm6

Post by Dimm6 »

While searching for other parts one day I came across an ad for the OEM rear spoiler. I snatched it right away. The e28 looks great with the small rear spoiler. I also had ordered a BBS front spoiler that showed up from Kazakhstan around the same time. I installed the rear spoiler right away. I still have to get the front spoiler painted and installed. But since then I found a U.S. M5 front spoiler. I haven’t decided on which one to install yet. I was thinking of getting them both painted and I can switch them as I like.

Dimm6

Post by Dimm6 »

I had to do something about the wheels. The 14” bottle caps don’t do it for me. Again I found a set of Style 7 wheels from an E34. 15” is a great fit for these cars. 16” would be perfect. The wheels came with tires, so I put them on right away. But soon after I found a set of AC Schnitzer Type 1 for sale nearby. I haven’t mounted them yet, but I will as soon as I order tires. In the pics of the ACS wheels I just have them propped up against the car just to visualize them.

Dimm6

Post by Dimm6 »

The lighting of the OEM sealed beams suck. There’s no light output compared to what cars com with today. I ordered the Hella H4 headlights that allow you to swap out headlight bulbs. I used Sylvania SilverStar bulbs for the low beams. For the high beams I bought a set of yellow halogen bulbs. I don’t remember the brand. It’s pretty rural where I live and the light output helps me a lot at night. I left the fog light alone for the time being. I won’t need them, depending on which front spoiler I end up using.

Last edited by Dimm6 on Oct 13, 2022 7:32 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Dimm6

Post by Dimm6 »

The original muffler was swapped out for a generic Cherry Bomb muffler. It sounds good but it has the longest pipe I’ve even seen. I burned my leg on it a few times. I trimmed a good 8 inches off the end and covered the end with a chrome exhaust tip from Advanced Auto Parts. No more scars on my shins.

tuffode

Post by tuffode »

Looking great!! I wasn’t aware that the paint isn’t original, makes sense though since it is in such great condition.
Dimm6

Post by Dimm6 »

tuffode wrote: Oct 13, 2022 7:32 PM Looking great!! I wasn’t aware that the paint isn’t original, makes sense though since it is in such great condition.
You can tell from the tape marks on the inner door seams and hood. It’s a decent paint job. Can’t complain.
Dimm6

Post by Dimm6 »

Another update. A head bolt snapped and I lost all coolant on a ride to work one day. Luckily I realized this and stopped before the car over heated. I had it towed to the shop. I had the head rebuilt, head gasket, new head bolts, plugs, wires, timing belt, fan clutch, belts, water pump and thermostat. The mechanic told me there was a new version of the head bolts available. I’m assuming this car’s engine was never opened up before this.

Next up is brakes and a suspension refresh. I bought a set of Bilstein shocks and BavAuto springs. Hopefully soon I can get the car into the shop.
dogabon

Post by dogabon »

Here a Balticblau from Spain!

Dimm6

Post by Dimm6 »

Wow. Looking good. Hopefully after the winter my car will start looking as good as yours.
Dimm6

Post by Dimm6 »

A little update. I was able to get some tires for the AC Schnitzer wheels. These wheels will be on until I get a set of Rial Mesh refinished. Also I should be getting a suspension refresh soon. The car drastically needs to be lower.

ACS wheels specs are: 15x7 et13 with 205/60r15 tires.

Dimm6

Post by Dimm6 »

Today I got around to doing something quick and simple. All together it took about 15 minutes for the job. My wipers were loose, like really loose. You were able to grab the wiper and shake the entire arm. I did some searching on this site and found out I was missing the rubber bushing around the arm where it comes out of the body of the car. It sucks that the wiper arms scraped the paint, but that’s how I got the car.

All part numbers are in the pics.

Dimm6

Post by Dimm6 »

tuffode wrote: Jul 17, 2018 3:21 PM Odometer gears came in yesterday, so I decided to replace them today.

The old gears were broken and very soft.

With new gears installed, I put the cluster back together and installed it back in the car.

I went on a drive and the odometer still wasn't working :(

I replaced the gears in my E30 and the odometer worked, so I'm not sure what the problem could be.

Anyone know what I should do?
I bought a spare cluster and I used the new gears that you installed but swapped out the working speedometer and the tach from the new cluster and everything works. The only thing that stopped working is the MPG meter. The newer cluster has the newer style batteries in it. I think it’s a newer replacement cluster. It has a ‘94 date sticker on it. I also replaced all the little bulbs, so everything lights up properly.
JimmyKay

Post by JimmyKay »

I have a new screen name because I'm not sure what happened to my old one. I was prompted to change my password and then got locked out. So for now this is me previously Dimm6.

Here's a little update. I went ahead and swapped out the old worn shocks for a new set of Bilstein B4 shocks with new OEM rear springs (they were rusted out). The car felt good for a while, but I couldn't help but want the car lower so I ended up replacing the brand new Bilsteins with a band new set of Bilstein B8 shocks and BavAuto lowering springs. Wow! It's a completely different car. So smooth yet firm, but not firm at all. And the stance is the best part. I also picked up a staggered set of16x8-9 et11 Rial Mesh wheels. I had the refinished and they came out amazing. I'm just waiting for the weather to get better so I can get them on. They wheels were previously on another E28 so I don't think fitment will be an issue. I'm not sure if I'll need a fender roll. Not a big deal for me.

Dimm6

Post by Dimm6 »

I was able to get access to my old screen name. I’m back with Dimm6.

I finally was able to get the Rials minted up. They look amazing. Very periods correct for the car. Specs are 16x8 et11 fronts 16x9 et11 rears. 205/55r16 and 225/50r16 respectively. I had to roll the rear fenders a tiny bit as I was rubbing on big dips in the road. I bought a fender roller from Amazon that was garbage. I ended up using a rubber mallet, some heat and pieces of thick cardboard so I wouldn’t damage the paint. These fenders are thick. I couldn’t be happier with the look. I’m going to have the AC Schnitzers refinished so I can use them in the winter months.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Always cool to see the cars continue their journeys across different owners! I hope for a similar outcome if I ever sell mine.
Dimm6

Post by Dimm6 »

Zeta wrote: Apr 24, 2023 11:26 PM Always cool to see the cars continue their journeys across different owners! I hope for a similar outcome if I ever sell mine.
Same feeling for me. I was pleasantly surprised when the previous-previous owner found me on instagram and told me about this thread.