Project e23 B9 build - update 11/25/19

Post your photos and videos here!
1st 5er

Re: Project e23 B9 build - update 07/20/19

Post by 1st 5er »

:wave:
geordi wrote:Don't want to jump the gun... it's been registered for SoCal Vintage.
As Roy had written, there are a few things to tidy up.
We hope everything falls into place and it can be in SoCal 02 Nov.
geo
Lookin' good George.
Fingers crossed ya make it.
BenGerman

Re: Project e23 B9 build - update 07/20/19

Post by BenGerman »

That's some shiny calipers! :cool:

Looks great with the Alpinas!!
RoyW

Re: Project e23 B9 build - update 08/27/19

Post by RoyW »

More progress was made on the B9 project car this past month… a couple weeks ago my friend, Ian, came by and completed the install and wiring of the stereo system amp and the Blaupunkt Sydney head unit. When turning it on to test, we discovered that the head unit would come on (light up) and immediately turn off… we suspect the security card that you slide into the front of this old-school head is faulty, as it has a big dent in it and is probably not being read correctly by the unit. ARGG!! Need to find a suitable replacement, because I’m pretty sure nobody repairs these babies? :x :(

This past Friday and Saturday things went a lot better, as more re-assembly work was completed on the B9, thanks primarily to Aaron… this work session was spurred on by the fact that our house has finally SOLD, well at least we have a signed P&S and a close date in early October… so, it's not technically sold yet! :) Anyway, Aaron came out to help with the completion of the interior install, e.g., all lower dash panels, center console, rear seat bottom, etc. (we still have a few pieces to find or replace, e.g., right side front door card and trim that is damaged, glove box handle broken, etc. In addition, we fired up the engine for a couple of heat cycles, bled the cooling system, and added more ATF to the steering and brake booster…. and then, into the trailer she went for another trip up to VSR for the install of the re-painted hood and sunroof (although we may do the sunroof ourselves) and a general check over, on a lift, to assure all fasteners are secure, address a small leak, and lastly, install the wheel arches and new trunk lid spoiler... drilling holes in the trunk YIKES!

It’s amazing how long it takes to install the whole lower dash area, especially the glove box, as well as the center console… so many different sizes and types of fasteners and a definite sequence, which you don’t remember from the dis-assembly process many months ago… several do-overs were needed on the center console because of incorrect sequencing. :oops: :?

Now for full disclosure… for this whole project I have had a silent partner, George (geordi)… yes, that George! :D He has provided an equal amount of sweat equity and financial support to the saving and restoration of this very rare car (only known one in the U.S). And, based on all the times he been out here helping with the car, I’m sure most people figured that out. :lol: We were fortunate to also have many Mye28 (and e23) friends that helped us out along the way, in particular, Aaron, Pavel, Jim, Ben, Steve, Micah, and others…. Thanks guys couldn’t have gotten this far without you!!

Anyway, once I pick the car up at VSR next week, George and I will trailer it out to a Mye28.com friend’s facility in Upstate NY, where it will be stored and finished up (one or two more sessions needed) over the next few months.

This car will end up being a two year project that was fun to do, took 50% longer than we anticipated, and was full of surprises and over-runs :shock: :roll: … as these projects seem to do most of the time! My experience has been: After you estimate what it will take to do the job on any project car, double the budget and double the timeline and you’ll be close :)

-RoyW

ImageP8231839 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP8231840 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP8241846 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP8241842 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP8241843 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP8241844 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP8241848 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP8241849 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

It’s coming together. Yes those interiors are rather complicated compared to e28s. They also have a solid feel and everything seems heavy. Shame about the Sydney. I’ve got a box of Torontos and Sydneys and they all have various problems I can’t get fixed. Also you can’t just stick another keycard in it since it needs onEnter that’s programmed to the unit. Good news is that several radios use the same type of connectors like those VDO/Continental units.
cek

Post by cek »

Congrats on the house sale, Roy! Big milestone.

I'd give my left knee to have that crew come help me with Minerva or another project. You are blessed to have all those folks nearby and willing to help.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Oh I missed the house sale part. Congratulations. Hope the new owner makes use of that tremendous Autobahn facility.
RoyW

Re: Project e23 B9 build - update 09/07/19

Post by RoyW »

I picked up the B9 this week from VSR where they had installed the freshly re-painted hood, as well as installed the wheel flares and the rear deck lid spoiler. I asked them to do a good check over on a lift, making sure all systems were a go, fasteners were tight, as well as replace a couple items that were the cause of small cooling system leaks (hose, cracked housing). They also adjusted the valves, and identified a few items that we need to address in the future. When I got her home, after a quick car wash to remove shop dust, I started packing up parts and associated items that will make the 3.5 hour trip with the B9 to Upstate NY tomorrow (Sunday) where she will spend the next few months… thank you Micah! :D

Before loading the B9 into the trailer for tomorrow’s journey, I took her out for a 15-20 minute test drive (my first) on the backroads of Petersham, Massachusetts, and it was terrific… smooth, powerful, solid… everything you’d expect and hope for in a freshly, nearly-finished, 2-year project. :D :cool: I kept the RPM down under 3500, as the engine still needs a few hundred break-in miles, but it was a fun and impressive drive non-the-less. :alright: :banana: :ohyeah:

We still have a fairly long punch list of items to address, e.g., sunroof install; A/C system completion; new windshield washer system hoses; cold start issue; odometer non-function; and many small finishing items; etc., etc. And, we’re planning another group session in early November at the car’s new location. After that, I’m not sure, but at some point in the future George will bring the car out to OKC or there-abouts? I'd say the car is 90% completed at this point... that last 10% can take a long time to finalize. We reach the 2 year mark since the start of this project in another month or so... so, stay tuned. :)

Here are a few pictures from these past few days.

ImageP9061884 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP9061885 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP9061886 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP9061887 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP9071903 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP9071915 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP9071919 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
-RoyW
Pavel

Post by Pavel »

I am going to miss coming out to the AutoBahn, but I am definitely going to cherish the memories! That’s 4 visits overall.

The car looks fantastic.

I hope it doesn’t end up in my garage. It’s too nice! ;)
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Looks great Roy! Glad it all came together.
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

Incredible Roy, love this car and the work involved to bring it back!
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Looks fantastic. Have enjoyed following this thread. Hope to admire in person one day. Good luck on the last 10.
CSBM5

Post by CSBM5 »

Fantastic Roy! What a beautiful E23. I would love to own one. My father bought a 1980 733i 4MT in March of 1980 in almost the same color as this Alpina, and I enjoyed driving his car whenever I could including many miles close/at top speed early on Xmas morning in 1980 on I-85 between Charlotte and Atlanta.

I hope to see your car in person one day; too bad it won't be at O'fest next month to sweep the concours.

Regards,
Chuck
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Impressive progress.

Micah's gonna get attached.
RMP

Post by RMP »

Roy, if you need I could make space in the contractor bay where the M's sleep. Like another M perhaps?

Roger
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

What a beauty.
geordi

Post by geordi »

Is mye28.com a great community or what?

Time of my life! :) Not only do I have the joy of restoring an e28 with my son, I get another chance to restore an 88’ M5 with Pavel and the Texas gang… but wait, wait… 3x a charm. I get to do it AGAIN; restore another BMW, albeit an e23 B9 with Roy. All three projects have allowed me to meet some of the most interesting, the most kind and some of the best folks you could ever ask as friends.

But Roy has left out part of the story. :tsk: It begins a several years ago when Roy is contemplating buying an e23 in Tulsa. We make contact and I drive up to Tulsa. I look at the Seven, take 100+ photos and forward him a four page report. Pluses all around, but a salvage title. Deal falls thru. Year & half later, Ben German texts me a Criagslist link to a e23 B9 for sale in Maine. I forward to Roy. “Hey Roy, here is an interesting e23 near you.” A polite thanks from Roy and not a second thought by me. Roy calls with “I think its the real deal.” Couple more exchanged calls and he pops the question “want to partner on a resto?” Mind you I live in WY now, I’m on the couch next to the wife, on SPEAKER phone! :wow: I’ve just sold off all but two BMWs with the move. I peek over at my wife who says, “Go ahead, I know you want to do it.” Here we go again LOL.

So begins a 2 year journey from JAC to BOS and back. Lots of flights, lots of juggled schedules. And this journey wasn’t all about the B9. It’s also about a group of enthusiasts. :clap: Jim (Motronic) putting me up at his home when I arrive late, or letting me drive his 330i to Roy’s house. Its Aaron (Ahab) coordinating his biz trips in Boston to educate us further on the fine points of the M30 and “the horror” of turning his wrenches MULTIPLE times on a BIG BMW with wood in it. Its Jamie (Chimi-Changa) hosting me and taking my Cayenne off lease at his dealership. ;-) Pavel flying in for HVAC rebuild and Serbian food. Fikret & Mike driving up for “Weekends at Roy’s”. MicahO touring over from NY for glass duty and wrenching (and now temporary storage). HitMan-X, Greg e34 & Vance sending NLA parts from their hordes. Two years of beers, cars, Red Sox, Celts, Pats, pool, camaraderie and Alleve.

Lots of surprises and unknown benefits. I can drive from BOS to Roy’s blindfolded. LOL. Learned about NE’s craft beer. The chow’dah… oh the chow’dah. Boston rush hour! The deer at the golf club… LIMDIS. Jim’s M5 parts stash. Roy’s hot dog stand lunch stop on the way to Shrewsbury… Coneys topped with crushed Cool Ranch Doritos. :up: Becoming an “apprentice” level detailer under Roy’s tutorage. 51 nights in bed more comfortable than mine! Evenings hanging out with Roy and Mary watching the Sox or learning about his days with Digital.

And then there is Mary, Roy’s bride. Wow, what a cook and hostess. Her lemon cookies are to die for. I’d gain 5 lbs after each trip…EASY! Think of all the times a group a guys would descended upon her home; hungry & dirty from the Autobahn. She is an angel. :bow: An amazing woman… Roy is spoiled. I got spoiled. I’ll miss my chats with Mary around the kitchen and scarfing desserts. But I wont miss the the rides with her in the 2000. She scare shit out of me first time. No, she is a superb driver… I was just a wuss. :oops:

I gotta be honest… I wish Roy’s house didn’t sell and this adventure could go on for another year. All things have an end point though. I’ll miss Boston, the Autobahn, Mary’s smile, generosity and cooking, all the NE guys, and all the times with Roy. Yeah, I’m waxing and getting sentimental, but it was a incredible two years.

Well at the end of this we have an Alpina B9, one of seven; sharked nosed, bootied butt and sexy. :cool: In reality its small potatoes compared to the friendships forged. I found a lot of great friends deconstructing and putting this car back together. Thanks to all who lent a hand and made life easy traveling to and fro. You know who you are and I’m grateful. :rockon: Never hesitate to call on me. And finally, a special thanks to Roy. If he had not asked… I would not have had “the time of my life”. Do you have one more left in ya my friend? :dead:
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

Thanks for the kind words George... you hit the nail on the head with regard to this great community. Like you, I have a number of great friends as a result of my many years here, I count you among the best!! I think our e23 B9 project was an awesome testament to the power of friendship, auto enthusiasm, and the love of vintage BMWs that mye28.com fosters. Your review of the past two years and the contributions made by many along the way was simply awesome :)

Mary says she'll miss trying out new recipes on you and being "Mom" to the whole gang!! :)

-RoyW
Motronic

Post by Motronic »

Nice writeup Geordi! Everyone loves pics so here's a few from the build. We definitely had some fun at Roy's place. Now it's time for the next project.

This first picture represents the the whole build and the group itself

Ahab and his painfully hot ghost chili chicken wings!!

RoyW

Re: Project e23 B9 build - update 11/20/19

Post by RoyW »

The Saturday before last, George, Aaron, Mike, Micah, and myself met out at Micah’s place in Upstate NY where the B9 has been in storage since I moved (to Albany) from my sold house (in MA) in early October. We worked on a few things and got her ready for shipment via enclosed car carrier scheduled for later this week. The longer term plan is for the B9 to be with George out in OKC, but stored (and some remaining work done) at a BMW shop that George knows well in nearby Wichita, KS.

Our accomplishments in this last work session included:
- Installed front bumper center trim piece
- Installed sunroof
- Worked on cold start issue. Found work around and can easily get the car started and running smoothly, but still haven’t figured out the cause of the problem… we think it’s the 7th injector (cold start injector) not functioning properly and needs replacing?
- Replaced temp switch and fuel pressure regulator (thanks Micah).

A special thanks to Aaron for leading the charge on the sunroof install and the cold start analysis and work around. Below are a few pics from that session.

The major items remaining to be done on the car include: A/C system fully installed and made operational; windshield washer system parts installed and made operational; antenna replaced and installed; head unit installed; re-solve cold start problem; engine break-in driving, and of course a few small things :)

It’s been nearly two years to the day on this project, and I’ll be sad to see it leave the Northeast due to my relocation and downsizing situation, but George and I had a contingency plan in place for just this scenario… and I plan to pay the car, and George, a visit this Summer. :)

Thanks again to all who contributed… you were all part of saving a very rare and cool vintage BMW/Alpina… much appreciated.

-RoyW

Image20191109_114324 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
Image20191109_114201 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
Image20191109_114141 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
Image20191109_114447 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
Image20191109_114419 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

Great stories, writeups, and pictures you guys. So cool to see a plan and project like this come together.
Hffvdbl

Post by Hffvdbl »

Nice job you guys! What a great group!
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

Here's a couple pics of the load-in at Micah's on a cold Nov. morning, as the B9 heads to Wichita, KS. Should arrive today, Monday11/25. Finish her up George :D

-RoyW

ImagePB212050 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImagePB212056 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImagePB212058 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
muleskinner

Re: Project e23 B9 build - update 11/25/19

Post by muleskinner »

Fuckin awesome.
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

Thread resurrection! Roy, this petrolicious story made me think of your car

https://petrolicious.com/articles/this- ... y-heirloom
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

Adam W in MN wrote: Jan 01, 2021 3:16 PM Thread resurrection! Roy, this petrolicious story made me think of your car

https://petrolicious.com/articles/this- ... y-heirloom
Thanks Adam.... nice story. The B9 is with George, made it to TexFest, and is doing well.

-RoyW