Project e23 B9 build - update 11/25/19

Post your photos and videos here!
BenGerman

Re: Project e23 B9 build - update 09/07/18

Post by BenGerman »

Thanks Roy for the invite. Had a great time on Saturday.
Thanks also to Mary for the great food and Aaron for the mild Wings.
Looking forward to see the car completed!

Hey Pavel, food envy?
RoyW wrote: ImageP1060932 (1) by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ElGuappo

Re: Project e23 B9 build - update 09/10/18

Post by ElGuappo »

Reading this really brings back fond memories of our 'Super WrenchFests' in the foothills, 2-3 day events where things GOT DONE.
I love the progress on this special car Roy, your attention to detail is wonderful to see.
RoyW

Re: Project e23 B9 build - update 09/10/18

Post by RoyW »

Not a lot of progress was made on the B9 project car over the past couple of months… busy with vacations, family, Fall, etc. However, we had a good day Saturday, when my mechanic friend Steve came over and we got back to it :)

In September; I did spend some time cleaning up the fuel tank, the trunk carpets and trunk area. The fuel tank was pretty nasty inside and out, so I wire brushed, washed it with a de greaser, and sanded it. I also fixed a pinhole leak, and then primered and painted it. For the inside mess, I poured in 24 gallons of vinegar (you should have seen the look on the Walmart cashiers face when I pulled up in two shopping cars with all that vinegar :)), let it soak for a few days, then rinsed it out and blew it out with compressed air, poured in some rust remover stuff and swished that around for a few days, then a few gallons of diesel fuel, and finally a few gallons of regular gas… after regular swishing of those two, I removed all and let the tank air out… good to go now.

Back at September’s wrench session we discovered the front calipers that Steve re-built and I painted (black) were incorrect (2 piston 733 ones instead of 4 piston 735 ones), so I got a set of correct ones from BenGerman, but his were freshly zinc coated… so, I decided to keep and try to sell the black 733 set we had done and get another set of rear calipers (same) and have them zinc coated to match the fronts… so, we took the rear calipers off the parts car and will send them to Ben for coating.

After cleaning up the trunk area and POR15 those areas that had minor surface rust, I cut out some foam padding which I will glue down in the future, prior to installing the trunk carpet set
On Saturday, we did the following:

-installed the freshly re-built alternator with new bushings
-installed the fan and two new belts
-installed oil cooler
-installed a new clutch master cylinder
-installed re-furbished fuel tank & straps and the expansion tank
-connected driveshaft to universal at diff with new bolts and nuts
-connected a few hoses
-removed rear calipers from parts car
-prepared parts list needed for next work session... it never ends! (Dec 1st)

Next session we hope to install the radiator &hoses; re-build the e-brakes with new shoes, springs, etc.; install the fresh calipers and pads; replace bad hard brake line at rear; install new brake master cylinder; install intake; install fresh valve cover; install remaining engine ancillary items; maybe test fit new exhaust system (if its here from Germany); put down sound deadening material on interior floors, etc. And, I’m sure there’s more? :)

Meanwhile, I have some paint work to do in rear wheel wells and parts to install there, plus clean-up of interior and some of those interior parts, as well as exterior trim parts. The list goes on and on it seems!
Here are a few pictures of the past two months work.

Looks like the schedule for paintwork on this car will be delayed until Spring, unless we get it near sorted mechanically by January... these things (projects) always take twice as long as you think or plan for? :shock: :roll:

-RoyW

ImageP1060962 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1060965 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070139 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070140 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070212 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070215 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070218 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070219 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070210 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1060967 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070220 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070223 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070214 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
RoyW

Re: Project e23 B9 build - update 12/1/18

Post by RoyW »

We went back to work on the B9 yesterday and got a lot accomplished thanks to Steve, Aaron (ahab), and Mike.... these guys are the best! :clap: Would have completed even more had all the parts I was supposed to have ready been there… but, delays in shipping from Germany or other sources stopped further progress. Next session, schedule for Jan 12th, should allow us to finish up most of the mechanicals with that wrenchfest… and, we’ll be, I hope, turning the key!!! YEAH!! :)

Here’s what got done yesterday:

- installed new brake master cylinder
- Installed radiator and new associated water hoses
- re-built e-brakes with new shoes, springs, etc. Adjusted e-brakes
- installed level sender in fuel tank, with new hoses and a new fuel filter
- installed mirror frame and window regulator in driver’s door
- installed gearshift & linkage
- installed center undercarriage heat shield
- installed (temporarily) exhaust headers (want a little less noise when trying to start it :laugh: )
- checked all lamps in instrument cluster, hooked up cluster (no dash yet) for upcoming start-up
- traced, identified and labeled (or removed) various wires in dash and engine bay areas
- removed excess wiring from past after-market items, e.g., stereo, alarm system, etc.
- remove rear windshield, gasket, and trim (discovered more corrosion repair needed around edges)

We were planning to take the front and rear windscreens out of the parts car yesterday, but with the cold temperatures outside and about 6 inches of frozen snow on top of the car cover, thought better of it.... it will wait until Spring... both of these will ultimately go into the B9, as the front one in that car was cracked in two places and the rear is tinted and has turned purple! :laugh:

Parts we are awaiting for next session include: all four re-built and freshly zinc coated calipers (from Ben); exhaust system, i.e., center and rear mufflers (from Germany); one small cooling system water hose (from Germany) that will allow completion of that system ... so, then the intake muffler with fresh air filter, volume air-flow parts, refreshed valve cover, etc., can all be installed; plus, there are a few other parts that I need to order that were identify at yesterday's session, e.g., DS front window guide, couple power steering hoses, exhaust nuts, etc.

If all goes as plan in our upcoming January session, the car will then be brought up to VSR for final exhaust system install, included the jet-coating of headers; custom piping and welding as needed to connect headers to the rest of the exhaust system; pre-paint prep and then paint. If all goes as plan (and that never happens), I’ll be picking her up in April when returning from FL :D . Then the work of putting her back together begins, i.e., windshields, all exterior trim and parts, all interior trim and parts, etc., etc... this part feels quite daunting and will no doubt take longer than planned. :roll: :shock:

Here are some pictures from yesterday’s session

-RoyW

ImageP1070269 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070253 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070254 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070255 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070258 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070270 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070271 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070262 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070261 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070260 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070267 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
RoyW

Re: Project e23 B9 build - update 12/01/18

Post by RoyW »

Over this past week I did some work on the B9 project car, getting it ready for a big wrenchfest on Jan 12th when the usual suspects, i.e., Steve, George, Aaron, Jim, Pavel arrive ... The best crew a car could have! :D

I cleaned up the dried adhesive on the c pillar vents as well as on the rear windshield channel (we removed that earlier this month) and removed some of the rusty metal pieces that were in the channel corners… this will be patched up by VSR (what’s a little more corrosion repair :laugh: ) when the car goes in for paint later this winter. I also repaired and re-painted some areas in the four wheel wells that were scarred by the previous corrosion repair; and then installed the re-freshed rear wheel well splash guards. In addition, I took inventory of the needed parts to complete the engine assembly prior to “start-up” which is planned for Jan 12th… looks like we should have everything needed (famous last words) :)

Today, I trailered the B9 up to VSR to have the exhaust system, that finally arrived from Germany (stock rear and center mufflers), installed. A temporary set of pipes was cobbled together between the front of the center muffler up to the tubular headers (which will be removed when the headers are de-installed for jet-coating)… and new pipes will be fashioned and put in place to complete the exhaust system. This too will be done over the winter when the car is at VSR for painting.

Naturally it was pouring rain all day today, so I had to cover things up, e.g., windshields, engine, etc., in order to keep the rain off these exposed areas as the car was moved (pushed) out of the Bahn and VSR's shop into, out of, and back into the trailer. All in all, things went well and she’ll be back in the Bahn by tomorrow when the rain stops... meanwhile sitting in the trailer in the driveway :D

Next update (mid-January) will hopefully be a good one, as we planned to button-up a lot of things, e.g., engine, fuel system, brakes, fluids, and most importantly, fire-up the freshly build Alpina M30… fingers crossed!

-RoyW

ImageP1070311 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070314 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070316 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070318 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070317 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070322 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070323 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070325 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070326 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070327 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070332 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070334 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070347 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070349 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070350 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070354 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070357 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
Motronic

Re: Project e23 B9 build - update 12/21/18

Post by Motronic »

Looking good Roy!! :up:
Hopefully I'll be there with my GoPro to record the first startup of that rebuild.
RoyW

Re: Project e23 B9 build - update 12/21/18

Post by RoyW »

The re-fleshed brake calipers for the B9 came in today... yeah! and big thanks to Ben!! :D As I might have mentioned before, the front calipers that were on the B9 when I got it were incorrect in that they were for a 733, not a 735 (probably swapped by one of the previous owners when the originals failed and they couldn't get 735 replacement ones, so they just went with a set of 733 calipers and rotors?). We didn't realize this until we tried to install them and found they didn't fit... naturally this was after they had been re-built and painted :cry: So, turns out Ben (BenGerman) had a set of euro 735 fronts and we bartered a deal which included him re-building them and getting them zinc coated, etc. I send him the rears also, so we could match with the zinc coating, but I forgot to include the clips... which explains those parts that aren't cad plated. :(

-RoyW

ImageP1070365 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
RoyW

Re: Project e23 B9 build - update 01/13/19

Post by RoyW »

Yesterday was another B9 “wrenchfest weekend” at the AutoBahn, with the awesome and talented help of Steve, George, Aaron, Pavel & Mike (later joining in were Micah, Jim, Fikret, and Jamie) we plowed through the punch list of work items. George and I started on Thursday and continued into Friday when Aaron and Pavel joined us, and then Steve (our lead mechanic) came early on Saturday, with the rest of the crew arriving at various times during that day. A little diagnostic work was also done on Aaron's 535 and Jamie's 535 cars

A lot of beer and food was consumed over these 3 days, not to mention the making of some great memories, along with a lot of laughs and storytelling. A special thanks to my awesome wife for all the cooking & baking and cleaning for this ‘event’... she’s the best! :D

On Thursday, George and I installed the sound & vibration deadening sheets in the interior; from the front firewall to the back parcel shelf… it came out quite nice! We also cleaned and painted a number of engine parts; hooked up the battery; removed a couple trim parts; and installed numerous other small items. Gas was then added to the fuel tank, in anticipation of Saturday’s planned attempt to ‘start the re-built Alpina B9 engine’ :)

When Pavel and Aaron arrive on Friday, the work of completing the HVAC system install began, as well as installation of all four re-freshed brake calipers and new pads. Pavel hooked up all his testing contraptions and soon had confirmation that everything worked properly in the HVAC box he had re-built and partially installed months ago, e.g., pneumatic actuators, fans, etc. We discovered we had wrong expansion valve part (incorrect fitting size) which then stopped the complete hook up of the A/C lines to the box… but, we didn’t have the AC compressor (which subsequently arrived FedEx on Saturday from a fresh re-build) nor the newly ordered (and coming from Germany) receiver/dryer and pressure valve needed to complete the AC system anyway… so, that will now be added to the punch list for the next wrenching weekend in April.

Saturday was the day we were going to try to start the engine for the first time… so, the newly painted valve cover & gasket was installed; as well as numerous crankcase ventilation parts, cooling hoses, the ECU, the AFM, new fuel hoses to the level sender in fuel tank, etc. Testing then began to assure fuel was getting to the injectors… which led to the discovery of a sizeable fuel leak from a small hose back by the external fuel pump… that, was then replaced. The initial “turning of the key” was then to commence, but, the ignition switch literally fell apart when Steve turned the key (it had been flaky when Pavel was doing his HVAC testing the previous day)… so jumpering a couple wires became necessary to get ignition. First try, cranking but no start… further testing showed no spark. So, relays were checked, as were other connections, and it was soon discovered that a small connector to the ECU was not in place. Next try... cranking, a little pop, then several pops, then VAROOM!!! :D :banana: :clap:

Next, the cooling system was evacuated and BMW coolant and distilled water were added, engine was restarted, we check for leaks, tighten a few clamps, and success was concluded!! :D

We didn’t have the new brake system reservoir (awaiting delivery from Germany) so we didn’t finish-up adding in brake fluid and bleeding/testing the brakes (and clutch)… more punch list work for the next session!

Next, a few other issues were addressed, including the replacement of a split hard brake line back near the rear wheel (the long line coming from the master cylinder). The old one was then removed, and with a tube bender, the new line was matched to it and installed. A couple other minor things were addressed, wheels installed, jack stands removed, and the car was then loaded into the trailer for its journey to VSR for paint. :D

I plan to pick up the car in April when returning from a little winter vacation in FL :cool: and re-assembly will then begin!! So, with any luck, maybe this summer we’ll be ready to go for the maiden voyage drive, but not in time for Vintage… stay tuned! :roll:

Here’s a summary of all the work completed this weekend and some associated pictures:

- removed remaining outside trim pieces
- cleaned-up & painted any remaining front, rear, or undercarriage spots needed
- installed vibration/ sound deadening material in interior floor& firewalls
- cleaned-up & painted numerous engine bay parts
- put fuel in tank
- installed exhaust holders
- installed e-brake holders
- installed wheel well parts
- installed all brake calipers and pads
- installed DS window gasket and glass
- installed valve cover & gasket
- installed crankcase ventilation parts
- installed cooling system hoses
- installed AFM
- installed intake muffler
- installed other ancillary engine parts
- installed ECU
- installed fuel hoses to level sending unit
- completed install of HVAC system & tested
- check all systems for GO, e.g., fuel, electrical, cooling, vacuum, harness, etc.
- started engine
- replaced ignition switch with one from the parts car
- replace hard brake line from master cylinder to rear
- loaded car in trailer

I'm sure one of the crew that videoed the engine starting will post it up in this thread, and maybe other pictures too. It was a fun and productive weekend... thanks guys, much appreciated!

-RoyW

ImageP1070383 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070386 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070388 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070390 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2cNjjFP]Image
P1070401 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
/4896/32853156388_c698c3494e_c.jpg[/img][/url]P1070432 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070377 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070400 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070398 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070391 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070393 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070423 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070410 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070411 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070404 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070408 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070411 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070413 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070415 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070418 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070424 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP1070427 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
Last edited by RoyW on Jan 14, 2019 4:29 AM, edited 1 time in total.
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

What? I missed another one? Crud.

One of these days...
Pavel

Post by Pavel »

Third visit to Roy's, meant I had to bring me house shoes. Feels like going home :laugh: especially that i have lived 4 years of my life in Boston/Quincy/Cambridge.

Apologies, in advance of the portrait oriented photos, majority were for my Instagram story.

I am happy to say that the HVAC vacuum system kicked in right away. I brought my (from the 745i) auxiliary vacuum pump (which the Alpina is not equipped with, as it it's only in place to compensate for the turbo) to test the system fully hooked up, in case the engine-running would not have been present. I was prepared on the scale of 1-3 (1 being the best) to complete the task at hand, no matter what.

1 - Everything worked (It really did from the get go!)
2 - Minor fixes (leaking pod or broken lines)
3 - Pull the HVAC box again (last time I ended up rebuilding one of the box flappers, as the original had fallen apart. Luckily the donor car came to rescue.)

Side Note: Based on this experience, I have collected all the needed parts to convert my rather sophisticated but broken ACC system in the 745i, to a Manual HVAC like the one in the Alpina (Thanks Roy and George). I took a stab at resurrecting the ACC system, but due to cracked box and multiple dual pods (which I tried to rebuild) I am moving in this direction.

Left Houston in this:

And rode in this, around Boston (thanks for picking me up, ahab!)

Watch how the Alpina ended in here: https://youtu.be/7N-wze-BIXo

Roy pulled out some old but gold panoramic photos! Quite the familiar faces on them.

Oh yeah, and the engine ran! (video courtesy of George)

https://youtu.be/ZJISVZpvD9s

Thanks for your hospitality, Roy and Mary. And Roy/George for making me part of this project, making me pack my tool bag and flying to MA :cool:
RoyW

Re: Project e23 B9 build - update 04/30/19

Post by RoyW »

Its been awhile since my last update, but, we’ve made good progress on the e23 B9 since this past January. The car spent the winter at VSR in Bedford, NH where some mechanical issues were addressed, e.g., replacement of oil pan; new fuel lines; jet-coated headers installed; and a section of custom pipes were fab’ed and installed between the headers and the center muffler, thus completing the exhaust system. Also, some additional corrosion repair was needed where the rear window had been removed. And, lastly, the car was prepped and painted, and the freshly chromed bumpers were installed. See pictures below.

Upon returning from a FL winter vacation, I picked the car up last week and got things ready for another wrench-fest gathering this past weekend to begin the long and tedious re-assembly process. We were fortunate to have the usual gang of enthusiasts and mechanics come to help: Steve, George, Aaron, Pavel, and Mike… these guys are the best! Thanks and cheers guys!

Here’s a list of the work completed, or at least started, this past weekend:

- Installed re-built AC compressor
- attempted install of new receiver dryer, discovered fittings of the BMW replacement dryer were incompatible with existing AC line fittings?… BMW error...stay tuned :?
- adjusted valves
- installed AFM and intake muffler & filter
- re-installed ECU
- bled brakes and clutch (due to new brake and clutch master, and slave installed previously)
- installed door handles and re-keyed door locks (to match ignition key)
- partial re-assembly of trunk area, including install of trunk lock
- swapped instrument cluster into new case (to replace case that was cracked on the clear plexi). New bulbs were installed as needed
- attempted windshield install, but found windshield gasket was incorrect (right part #, wrong part in box/bag… BMW error?)
- partial install of new dash (more fasteners to put in, as well as instrument cluster to integrate, etc., but waiting to complete windshield install first before buttoning up the dash)
- installed new expansion valve in HVAC box, tested HVAC control panel functionality, partially
- sorted out and labeled dash wiring
- started engine (again!) just to be sure it was running good and to hear the relative quiet of the full exhaust system :)
- cleaned and re-furbished many interior and exterior items to be installed later
- re-carpeted rear parcel shelf
- installed chrome tip on dual exhaust pipes (thanks again Aaron for these beauties)
- made list of parts to get for next session, e.g. windshield gasket, new replacement AC hose, find NOS receiver/dryer or replace some AC hoses with fittings to match the new receiver/dryer fittings, other numerous other small items, etc.

The next big work session is scheduled for June 1st… I hope to get some things, that are within my limited skill set, accomplished prior however. At this point I would estimate completion of the B9, to the extent that any Project is every finished , by early Fall. We shall see.

Image20190424_090157(1) by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
Image20190424_090203(1) by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
Image20190424_090211 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
Image20190424_105204(1) by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
Image20190424_085858 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
Image20190424_085849 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
Image20190424_090430 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6934 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6150 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageDSCN8239 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageDSCN5891 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageDSCN5890 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageDSCN5887 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageDSCN5892 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageDSCN5919 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageDSC_1968 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageDSC_1973 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageDSC_1975 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP4261256 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP4261253 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP4261257 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP4261250 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP4261261 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP4261263 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP4261264 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP4271266 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP4301285 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP4271276 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP4271280 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP4271277 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP4271273 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
Last edited by RoyW on Jun 01, 2019 6:33 AM, edited 2 times in total.
funkycharms

Post by funkycharms »

RoyW wrote:Its been awhile since my last update, but, we’ve made good progress on the e23 B9 since this past January. The car spent the winter at VSR in Bedford, NH where some mechanical issues were addressed, e.g., replacement of oil pan; new fuel lines; jet-coated headers installed; and a section of custom pipes were fab’ed and installed between the headers and the center muffler, thus completing the exhaust system. Also, some additional corrosion repair was needed where the rear window had been removed. And, lastly, the car was prepped and painted, and the freshly chromed bumpers were installed. See pictures below.

This looks good, what material did you use to refurbish??
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

Looking great!
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

funkycharms wrote:
RoyW wrote:Its been awhile since my last update, but, we’ve made good progress on the e23 B9 since this past January. The car spent the winter at VSR in Bedford, NH where some mechanical issues were addressed, e.g., replacement of oil pan; new fuel lines; jet-coated headers installed; and a section of custom pipes were fab’ed and installed between the headers and the center muffler, thus completing the exhaust system. Also, some additional corrosion repair was needed where the rear window had been removed. And, lastly, the car was prepped and painted, and the freshly chromed bumpers were installed. See pictures below.

This looks good, what material did you use to refurbish??
This shelve piece came with the full carpet replacement kit I ordered from Auto Custom Carpets. We will be installing the remainder of the kit at a later time.

-RoyW
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

Adam W in MN wrote:Looking great!
Thanks Adam.

-RoyW
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Paint came out great!
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

wkohler wrote:Paint came out great!
Thanks Chris. For the most part the paint looks real good, and the original color match is right on, but unfortunately the hood will have to be re-done... it has a few unacceptable flaws. As you know, nothing comes easy with some of these project cars... this has been a most difficult one!

-RoyW
Pavel

Post by Pavel »

As usual a blast visiting Roy and Mary. Thank you for having me.

This is how I saw it.

Oh wait. Wrong chat.

My view for most of the weekend.

The red one remains my favorite E28.

Yeah got a soft spot for OBS Dually F350. Not a 7.3, but still nice.

Yes the AFM is upside down. Ahab took care of that.

It was cold. Dropped down to 34F that weekend.

Once I landed back in Houston, this what I was greeted by

Till next time!
Last edited by Pavel on Jun 12, 2019 2:47 PM, edited 1 time in total.
RoyW

Re: Project e23 B9 build - update 06/01/19

Post by RoyW »

Made some progress on the B9 re-assembly this past month, but spent most of the time chasing two big issues that cropped up at our late April session, namely the windshield weatherstripping issue and the A/C system receiver/dryer issue.

As for the windshield gasket, I received a second one from BMW Parts and it too was exactly the same as the first one... too big for the windshield! :( They could not explain the situation, but ask me for measurements, pictures, etc.... which I have provided. Meanwhile we put out an all points request to the e23 crowd for a NOS windshield gasket and got two ... they both arrived this week :D They fit in the windshield frame perfectly... so we will use one and return the other (as well as return the 2nd one to BMW Parts). Many thanks to the two e23 guys who came to the rescue :clap: :up: Steve and Aaron will be here today and we will again attempt to install the windshield and finish the install of the new dash and associated parts. We will also remove the rear window from the parts car and install that in the B9, as the original one from the B9 was tinted and it had turned purple over time, plus removal of the tint would be difficult and likely damage the defrost lines.

As for the receiver/dryer problem, the one I received from BMW was a different shape, but worse, the fittings were a different size (larger) than the one it was to replace?? While this mystery hasn't been resolved??, I also haven't been able to find a replacement receiver/dryer with the same size fitting as the old one (and the associated hoses). So, bottom line, we may need to use the newer receiver/dryer and replace all the associated hoses with new larger fittings that will work. This decision will be made today when Steve and Aaron are here to advise.

I did accomplish a few things over the past month, as follows:

- cut holes in re-covered parcel shelf for speakers and headrests
- dyed carpet pieces on center console items that had faded (to greenish) using a SEM product for fabric and carpet
- steam cleaned all trunk carpet pieces and fitted in trunk (still missing one piece and another needs trimming)
- repaired trunk trim piece that covers taillights where it was broken (used thin metal flashing and glue)
- cleaned and re-glued edges of inside trunk lid covering and installed
- cleaned tool kit case and re-furbished tools and installed
- polished all anodized aluminum trim pieces with marginal success... removed some tarnish and shined up, but that uneven milky white staining is still there
-have new rubber window wipes to install in those trim pieces, but they will need to be trimmed as e23 ones are NLA, but e30 ones can be made to work :)

Some pictures of that work below. Another update by Monday, after our successful install of the glass and dash today, I hope :D

-RoyW

ImageP5281386 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP5261373 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP5261376 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP5281378 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP5281381 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP5281382 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP5281382 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6011392 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP5281379 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP5281383 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP5281385 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP5291387 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP5301389 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP5301390 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
Image20190502_112825 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
RoyW

Re: Project e23 B9 build - update 06/03/19

Post by RoyW »

We had an excellent day on Saturday thanks to Steve’s and Aaron’s expert help with installing the front and rear windshields in the B9…. plus a few other accomplishments (listed below) in the re-assembly of the car.

The best news was that the front weatherstripping (gasket) we got from a fellow e23 guy was a perfect fit. Also, the rear window and gasket came out of the parts car without incident, i.e., breakage, and fit perfectly in the B9 window frame (although we used the original gasket from the B9 since it was a great shape).

In addition, we installed the belt for the A/C system, and, after discussing the alternatives, decided to get the original receiver/dryer re-conditioned at a 3rd party company and then use the existing good hoses rather than replace multiple hoses & fittings in order to use the current BMW replacement receive/dryer that has the larger fittings.

The complete install of the two windows was quite the challenge, particularly the corners and fitting in the aluminum trim pieces that fit inside the gasket… but, with the cord method to help pull the gasket over the metal frame edge and some strategically place Syl-glide, silicone spray, a rubber mallet, L-shaped pick, small screw driver, and multiple hands (all three of us) the job was successfully completed in a few hours :D

The dash install was also furthered, e.g., dash tightened down, install of instrument cluster (cluster lights also refreshed) , check panel, HVAC box parts, vents, etc., etc. We also tested the functionality of a number of switches. Aaron ran a wire for the oil pressure VDO gauge. Finally, we fired her up again to address a cold start issue.

I will continue with the cleaning and re-conditioning of all other parts to be installed later and continue chasing those items we are still missing or want to replace. Next big session is in three weeks.

Summary of Saturday’s work:
- installed A/C belt
- removed rear window and weatherstripping from parts car
- installed windshield, weatherstripping, and aluminum trim
- installed rear window, weatherstripping, and aluminum trim
- completed install of dash, instrument cluster, etc.
- ran wire for oil pressure VDO gauge

-RoyW

ImageP6011394 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6011397 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6011399 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6011408 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6011409 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6021412 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6021415 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6011404 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6011406 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6021417 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6021420 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
wkohler

Re: Project e23 B9 build - update 06/02/19

Post by wkohler »

Coming together. Looks sweet.
ElGuappo

Re: Project e23 B9 build - update 06/02/19

Post by ElGuappo »

Some of those photos gave me flashbacks to doing my own heater core...
But this car is coming together so well, the finished product will be incredible.
RoyW

Re: Project e23 B9 build - update 06/13/19

Post by RoyW »

I did a bunch of small tasks this past two weeks, getting ready for the planned re-assembly weekend coming up on the 19th to 21st with a few generous friends, i.e., George, Aaron, etc. :)

Got a welcome package in the mail from Germany (Alpina)… the rear trunk badges … and while that would normally be one of the last things to get put on, I couldn’t wait to un-box and place them on the trunk! :D

I also installed the new front fender liners and seals (since the seals for the smaller front liners are NLA, I had to create ones out of the old larger rear front liner seals) ; did a little paint touch-up to the inner fender wells where shop work had marred them; cleaned and painted, as needed, the trunk tire changing tools; painted rear speaker covers; re-conditioned a badly damaged (peeling, cracking) wood cover for the shifter console area; but, spent most of my time taking inventory, cleaning, and organizing all the parts that need to be installed on/in the car… holy crap there’s a lot of stuff and it been sitting in boxes and bins for nearly 2 years. Just trying to make it easier to find what’s needed, when it’s needed in the coming session (s)

Still targeting this Fall for completion. Onward and upward! :alright:

-RoyW

ImageP6061424 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6061426 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6121441 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6111435 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6101432 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6101430 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6101429 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6101433 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6121438 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6061422 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6091428 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6111434 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6121439 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6121440 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6121442 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6121443 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
ImageP6121444 by Roy Wicklund, on Flickr
Last edited by RoyW on Jun 13, 2019 2:45 PM, edited 2 times in total.
cek

Post by cek »

Love. Love. Love.
Hit Man X

Post by Hit Man X »

Hope my gasket was in good enough shape for this car! :shock: