M535i my new toy. It's a keeper.

Post your photos and videos here!
Tiit

Re: M535i my new toy. It's a keeper.

Post by Tiit »

Done a lot of things not worth to mention. I have spent a lot of nights on my e36 track car. Its amazing how much time takes any custom work.

ImageIMG_3178 by Tiit Saul, on Flickr

Then lockdown happened for 3 weeks in my town. The best 3 weeks in years. I got a lot of work done around the house, spent time with family and got to work on cars more than usual. I was tired of working on E36 and wanted to work on something cool.

Image_MG_0204 by Tiit Saul, on Flickr

I love all my cars equally, but "Bluey is definitely my favourite. It is a fun retro driver, but a few things do annoy me. A/C does not work, noisy exhaust, steering has slop in it, no cup holders and suspension is shot.
I considered all kinds of options for new suspension setup, but ended up ordering BC coilovers and couple days later post man dropped them off.
Installation was simple and quick. My setup has 7kg/mm (392lbs) front and 6kg/mm 9336lbs) springs at rear. Out of curiosity I measured stock front spring tension. According to my measurements they are 2.3kg/mm (129lbs). Stock springs are a lot softer and had 100mm of preload.

ImageUntitled by Tiit Saul, on Flickr

Coilovers are smaller and lighter (look at the front shock piston difference). No doubt new bilstein shocks would out last BC coilovers big time. Hopefully coilovers wont fall apart in couple of years.

ride height was set as stock. I do not see a reason to go any lower.

Image_MG_0212 by Tiit Saul, on Flickr

First drive experience was positive. Ride is softer than feared. Seems ok. Have a look at the quick test drive video we shot.

https://youtu.be/f2TGi-_tmL8

Next we tackled the exhaust. There was no leaks in the system, but catalytic converter has lost its core and empty case resonates like an echo chamber. I had pair of E36 M50 cats laying around, and it seemed like an easy swap. It ended up being more work than hoped, but got there in the end. Car still is not super quiet, but much better than before. Here is quick before/after video clip. Difference is bigger in real world.
https://youtu.be/784Ho9rTaB8

It is a better car than before, for sure.

After that the e23 rolled on the garage. I am super excited about it and deep in the b35 swap right now. Lockdown has ended for me and progress has slowed a bit.
Image_MG_0216 by Tiit Saul, on Flickr
Tiit

Post by Tiit »

Last time I was under my E28, I discovered front upper control arm bushing is due replacement. Instead of just replacing it, I installed GoPro under my car and went for a test drive. While I was in there, I had a look at the rear suspension as well. Honestly didn’t expect that junk to move around as much as it did. Bushing in the rear looked visually ok, but as you can see from the video, new ones are needed.
Car is drivable and sloppy bushings can be noticed only when pushing to the limit.

https://youtu.be/zq8tfaiOGdo
Nick1984

Post by Nick1984 »

Awesome video you made!!
Now I'm glad I installed the Mooshead bushes :D