wkohler

Re: Winter conversion

Post by wkohler »

Congrats. Looks great.
Dale3783

Post by Dale3783 »

upload gif image

Well, I’m a year behind schedule but we’re getting really close. H&R springs and Bilstein sports going on this week and then I get it back to start reassembly. Can. Not. Wait.
Burnze

Post by Burnze »

Subscribed.
Dale3783

Post by Dale3783 »

So much progress! (Finally) The new dash is in and I can officially say that's a job I hope to never have to do again. As with most jobs, the last 10% is what kills you, but I'm starting to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hope to have her back on the road after ALMOST two years of work by the end of July.....which means August.

cek

Post by cek »

Looks really great!
Dale3783

Post by Dale3783 »

cek wrote:Looks really great!
Thanks!
Dale3783

Post by Dale3783 »

Not much of an update but the shop sent me a picture, so I'll post it. Hoping to finally have the car home in a week or two so I can finally start playing.

Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

Dale3783 wrote:Not much of an update but the shop sent me a picture, so I'll post it. Hoping to finally have the car home in a week or two so I can finally start playing.
Looking good!
I hope that block wall doesn't collapse on your car or a building inspector stops by before you pick it up . :)

Nick1984

Post by Nick1984 »

wow, that looks good in fresh paint!!!
Dale3783

Post by Dale3783 »

Soon.....

pic share
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

No idea how I hadn't seen this thread before, now you got me DROOLing. Beautiful work.

I'm curious:
1. What is the name of your car's color? Doesn't look like Bronzit, but neither does it look like Delphin. Is it... Polaris?
2. You seem to be doing an extraordinary effort on the finish part. What kind of rust-preventive measures are you taking?
3. Is it poor form if I ask how much your Bridgeport shop is charging you for this work? I ask because I could be interested....
4. I see your car is without a windshield in pictures. Did you do the dash replacement with or without a windshield? I did mine with windshield in place, and it was infuriating.

good luck, and subscribed!
Dale3783

Post by Dale3783 »

Foonfer wrote:No idea how I hadn't seen this thread before, now you got me DROOLing. Beautiful work.

I'm curious:
1. What is the name of your car's color? Doesn't look like Bronzit, but neither does it look like Delphin. Is it... Polaris?
2. You seem to be doing an extraordinary effort on the finish part. What kind of rust-preventive measures are you taking?
3. Is it poor form if I ask how much your Bridgeport shop is charging you for this work? I ask because I could be interested....
4. I see your car is without a windshield in pictures. Did you do the dash replacement with or without a windshield? I did mine with windshield in place, and it was infuriating.

good luck, and subscribed!
1. Lachssilber. Which I didn't think I liked until I saw it fresh. Most of the factory ones I've seen (and I had an e34 in this color) look dull and flat. I think he upped the size of the flake in the paint just a touch so it has a tiny bit more sparkle. It's amazing.

2. I'm not totally sure what you mean by rust prevention but after body work (cutting out all the rust) they did a full epoxy prime, block, base, clear proscess. After that it was cut, buffed and glazed.

3. I wish I could tell you want this cost but I'm a woodworker by trade and traded the owner a new custom kitchen, some other built ins and trim for his house. It was supposed to be just paint, but they did the suspension, Bilstein sports, H&R springs, all the reassembly, some interior work, way more than first planned. I've also ended up doing a lot more work for his house as a result. I can tell you that this place is worth a visit if you're in the New York area. It is an amazing place full of EXTREAMLY rare cars of all kinds. They do fabulous work and just last week took several awards at Amelia Island. Check out their website or Instagram account. Redline Restorations. It's because it's been at their shop for almost two years that this thread is pretty sparse. I hope to contribute more once it's in my possession. (Hopefully this weekend)

4. The glass was out for paint which is why I decided to do the dash at that point. Can't even imagine doing it with the windshield in.
Dale3783

Post by Dale3783 »

Finally put MOST of the finishing touches on this morning and most importantly got to put some shakedown miles on the car. Its been a long two and a half years but I can just about see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Now thats its just about on the road, I can't start tackling all the little projects that will make it even more of a joy to drive.

Radio/stereo upgrade
New wheels and tires
Exhaust
Upgrade the lighting (inside and out)

Among many others.....

Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

Wow man, that Lachssilber is really something else. This is how well versed I am in vintage BMWs: I don't recall being aware of seeing a Lachs in person.

Thanks for the tip on Redline Restorations. I should drive up and see their shop - seems like the place where dreams come true. Also, either they have tons of empty space or you must have done a TON of meticulously crafted work for them to let them keep your car in their shop for TWO YEARS.

Last but not least: Yes in E12s, but I don't think I have seen an E28 with a chrome surround around the front grille. Very nice touch, actually.
Dale3783

Post by Dale3783 »

Foonfer wrote:Last but not least: Yes in E12s, but I don't think I have seen an E28 with a chrome surround around the front grille. Very nice touch, actually.
I saw this on a car in an intstagram post and was intrigued. I used the silly auto parts store stick on chrome trim, really as a test, but it looks great and not at all as low rent as I expected. I couldn't really think of another way to do it, so I left it. I'm sure some will look down on that being on my car, ( I would have ) but I like it, for now. :dunno:
Dale3783

Re: 87 535is. "The Colonel"

Post by Dale3783 »

Put the new style 5's on today after spending the last two days working on replacing the clutch master and slave cylinders. What a crappy job that was. Using a syringe to bleed the clutch from the bottom up was a breeze however and really helped make that crazy process a lot easier. Anyway, here's some pictures of my Saturday morning drive.

Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

Whoah... what a great result. That must feel so incredibly satisfying to drive it after so long!
Das_Prachtstrasse

Post by Das_Prachtstrasse »

The car looks fantastic, nicely done. It's also quite refreshing to see one sitting at a sensible ride height!
GoNoles

Post by GoNoles »

Beautiful car Dale. Would love to see it sometime. Congrats!
Dale3783

Post by Dale3783 »

Post bath pic

Dale3783

Post by Dale3783 »

Please excuse the bird poop.
muleskinner

Post by muleskinner »

(voice of Billy Bob Thornton in Sling Blade) That car sho is lookin good. Mmmmhhhhhmmm.
Dale3783

Post by Dale3783 »

The wife and I took the car out to Cape Cod last weekend for our 1 year wedding anniversary, about a 4 hour ride. Car performed perfectly on the ride and for the week we were on Cape. Driving along Rt. 28 in Chatham on what was the first perfect day of the year, in that car, with my wife, sunroof open and windows down was one of the best drives of my life and perfect justification for this project and why I'm so happy to an E28 back in my life.

Also, played with my new camera and some different filters while out there. Thanks for looking.

Dale3783

Post by Dale3783 »

boomvader

Post by boomvader »

Beautiful car. Well done. What part of CT are you in? I was born in Stamford. Small world!