Re: 1985 Arktisblau M535i Renovation - Progression

Post your photos and videos here!
davintosh

Re: 1985 Arktisblau M535i Renovation - New Year's Update

Post by davintosh »

ovide wrote:How the hell did I miss this thread!?!?
I'm wondering the same thing! Just spent a couple hours of my Saturday night reading through all of it; lots of great info!

Awesome job on that hydraulic system! That was one of the things that annoyed me most about my e32 735i; the hydraulics had been leaking for years, and the oil & grime that had accumulated on the bronzit paint was pretty disgusting. Always meant to clean that up and replace/fix what was leaking, but...

I've always wondered what kind of magic gadgetry was inside an ABS box. I can't help but wonder though that there would be an easier way to get that pump cylinder back into the pump body. I also can't help but wonder if there is a screw holding the spring & whatnot in place, and that funny little round thing on the side looks like it might be doing something... I'd bet the factory assembly process was much smoother.

In this pic it looks like that is right in line with it. Of course, if it is a screw, you'd need some funky Bosch special tool to do the job, or hack one together.

vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

davintosh wrote:
ovide wrote:How the hell did I miss this thread!?!?
I'm wondering the same thing! Just spent a couple hours of my Saturday night reading through all of it; lots of great info!

Awesome job on that hydraulic system! That was one of the things that annoyed me most about my e32 735i; the hydraulics had been leaking for years, and the oil & grime that had accumulated on the bronzit paint was pretty disgusting. Always meant to clean that up and replace/fix what was leaking, but...

I've always wondered what kind of magic gadgetry was inside an ABS box. I can't help but wonder though that there would be an easier way to get that pump cylinder back into the pump body. I also can't help but wonder if there is a screw holding the spring & whatnot in place, and that funny little round thing on the side looks like it might be doing something... I'd bet the factory assembly process was much smoother.

In this pic it looks like that is right in line with it. Of course, if it is a screw, you'd need some funky Bosch special tool to do the job, or hack one together.
:facepalm:
D'OHHH! You are probably absolutely correct in that being the access port for that little do-dad. Sometimes you have to think logically as to how they built this stuff in the factory; of course the engineers came up with a way to put it together simply.
Leave it to me to totally overlook that little detail. But in my defense, I did try to back that screw out (it doesn't look it, but it is just a run-of-the-mill hex head screw) on the old unit and I ended up starting to strip it. Smartly I stopped and just let it be.
Conanblau

Post by Conanblau »

Hi Vince, first class work you're doing here. And thank you for documenting it so well, not a simple task. The power steering pump alone, giddyup!

Best of the new year to ya.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Weekend Update: Saturday 1/21 & Sunday 1/22:
Progress is moving forward, this past weekend was about three systems:
-Fuel & Intake
-Alternator & ECU
-Driveshaft
Happy to report that I got them mostly checked off the list with a few straggling items, but those are easy enough to pick up along the way (just have to make a note of them and not forget them).

FUEL SYSTEM:
I had already installed the three 8x13 Fuel Hoses (Supply, Return and Vapor Canister) coming up through the Driver’s Wheel Well before the engine went in. So the real items to install were the Fuel Rail, Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve and Fuel Injectors; then it was a matter of connecting the Supply & Return Hoses to Rail and FPR and securing them in the engine bay.

Since I have eliminated the Charcoal Canister from the Vapor Recovery System (in all honesty it wasn’t even attached or hasn’t been for some time), I will just terminate the Hose here in the engine bay. I’ll cut it short (+/-6”), turn it down and secure it off the fender. If I ever have to install it again, it is a simple connection and re-installation of a Canister.
I have also decided to return the FPR to the original stock Bosch 3.0 unit in lieu of re-installing the previous BMP Adjustable Fuel Regulator Valve. I had countless people ask me what the advantage of it was over the fixed Bosch unit and I honestly couldn’t come up with an answer. I’m sure there is one (or was one when it was originally installed), I just don’t know it; I’m sure someone out there can shed some light on it. [I don’t think I have promised it to anyone so the BMP is up for sale]

ELECTRICAL: ALTERNATOR & ECU
Ralph and I worked on getting the last of the Johnson Box and its’ wiring removed from the ECU Connector and Main Harness. Turned out it wasn’t as bad as we first assumed; there was only one wire they cut and spliced into, the rest of the wires from the J-Box were piggy-backed into the ECU connector slots. Ralph meticulously removed them (I knew buying that Terminal Pick kit was the right move) and then handed me the former J-Box wire harness like some screaming alien. Simple repairs to the existing Main Harness wiring, re-taping it all and we can button the whole connector back up and reinstall the ECU and put the Glove Box area back together. Before:

After:
Alternator:

With that handled, I put the Alternator on the bench for some cosmetic touches. I had some parts off of a donor plated (fan wheel and some washer/spacers) so I swapped those out with those that came with the remanufactured 130A unit. Also gave it a quick layer of clear coat heat resistant enamel.

This is a later model AL-140X with the non-bushed mounts that matched the later Alternator Bracket. The later models do not require a separate ground strap wire as the unit is essentially grounded through the bracket and mounting bolts. This unit also utilizes the later U-shaped Adjusting Bracket instead of the single front bar type on the older units. This change should result in more stability and easier adjustments.

All that is left is to do the electrical connections and final adjustments after we get the pulleys and belts installed.

DRIVESHAFT:
All the missing components for the Driveshaft rebuild came in last week so Ralph and I embarked on putting it back together and installed into the car. The big push here is so I can get the car back down on the ground so we can final torque the Crank Hub Nut (Jesus Nut) and then get the Cooling System installed.
Not too many pictures here since both Ralph and I had our hands full wrestling the Dust Shields and Center Bearing into place. Suffice it to say, it all goes back together reverse of removal. The hardest part, which should have been the easiest, was getting the first Dust Shield squarely seated on the Spindle Shaft. Had we had a pipe that was the correct diameter to marry to the lip of the Shield, it would have been easier; but alas we did not so it was a struggle. It also put up a fight on the last ½” so we had to find a way to really drive it on without totally destroying it at the same time.
Once that was achieved we got the rest of the Center Bearing (cover & mount bracket) and other components installed. I re-painted the rest of the Driveshaft last week so it was ready for installation:

Installation:
With that done, we hopped under the car and lined up the Shaft for installation. Here is where we discovered that Jim Blanton likely forgot to install the three M10x55 bolts that face rearward to bolt into the Guibo on the back of the Transmission. Ralph refused to do what had been done previously and install all six bolts facing the front of the car. After some frustrating attempts at trying to slip those long bolts through the holes between the Input Shaft and Transmission case (futile), we then had to loosen the 30mm rear mounting nut on the Input Shaft to move that bracket out. That took a bit of work that only was achieved through pneumatics. Upside was I got to use both the Sanborn Compressor and my new Aircat 1150; nice combo that made short work of that nut.

Now with those three in the correct orientation, we were back in business and got the shaft mounted front and back (Transmission and Differential). Realizing we didn’t have the correct thread pitched M10 hardened lock nuts, we had to forgo the final torque and Center Mount locking and setting in place. [Those nuts just arrived in today’s mail so we are good for Saturday for this procedure.]

GEAR SHIFT RE-VISITED:
I didn’t do anything here to what we did previously, only I realized that I had not taken any pictures of the Z3 Gear Shifter and Linkage installed. Thought I would take a few pictures of it before the DS gets finalized and the Heat Shield gets installed covering to the whole Magilla:

Ralph said I should mention that one critical upgrade everyone should do regarding Gear Shifters is to replace the stock older E28 Linkage (Gearshift Rod Joint in BMW parlance) with a newer E46 version. Someone had done this more recently in the cars’ past before I got it since this Transmission and Shift Kit went in around 1994 (unless this is an E36 unit?): Here are some examples for illustration:

The newer unit has a solid body instead of the weaker smaller shaft style of the older one; the old ones were prone to shear off at the junction. Good upgrade.

HYDRAULIC SYSTEM RE-VISITED:
Specifically the Fluid Cooling Loop. I said I would return with some pictures of it installed so here you go:

Well, that was this weekend. Next weekend is A/C System and removing the exterior Door Trim so I can run them down to be refinished at Speedway next week.
Last edited by vinceg101 on Jan 25, 2017 8:17 PM, edited 1 time in total.
cek

Post by cek »

final torque the Crank Hub Nut
DO NOT FORGET THIS. Like I did.
ElGuappo

Post by ElGuappo »

On the final pic you might want to turn the hose clamp around to avoid possible interference... Might be nothing but I remember things being tight there.
Otherwise, I'm super jelly about how great it looks.
BIG :up:
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

ElGuappo wrote:On the final pic you might want to turn the hose clamp around to avoid possible interference... Might be nothing but I remember things being tight there.

Well I'd definitely rotate the clamps since once the AC condenser is back in there, you won't be able to get a nut driver on those.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

wkohler wrote:
ElGuappo wrote:On the final pic you might want to turn the hose clamp around to avoid possible interference... Might be nothing but I remember things being tight there.

Well I'd definitely rotate the clamps since once the AC condenser is back in there, you won't be able to get a nut driver on those.
Good points and will rotate them. Frankly I was getting pretty frustrated with them that once I got them on, I just left them the way they landed. Easy enough to rotate them upwards.
(Just don't ask me to take them all apart. Again. I lost track of how many times I put them together and tore them apart. Cost me a few scraped knuckles in the process.)
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Just make sure you can get to them from the top or with the grille removed.
cek

Post by cek »

wkohler wrote:Just make sure you can get to them from the top or with the grille removed.
Especially since the design was apparently engineered to leak.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

cek wrote:
wkohler wrote:Just make sure you can get to them from the top or with the grille removed.
I don't believe that. Each car I've purchased had the original hoses there and only some leaked. The ones I've changed are doing well so far.
cek

Post by cek »

wkohler wrote:
cek wrote:
I don't believe that. Each car I've purchased had the original hoses there and only some leaked. The ones I've changed are doing well so far.
I'm 0 for 5. Must be me.
maybeillbuyit

Post by maybeillbuyit »

vinceg101 wrote: Ralph said I should mention that one critical upgrade everyone should do regarding Gear Shifters is to replace the stock older E28 Linkage (Gearshift Rod Joint in BMW parlance) with a newer E46 version. Someone had done this more recently in the cars’ past before I got it since this Transmission and Shift Kit went in around 1994 (unless this is an E36 unit?): Here are some examples for illustration:

The newer unit has a solid body instead of the weaker smaller shaft style of the older one; the old ones were prone to shear off at the junction. Good upgrade.

This looks like a great upgrade, much beefier.I notice the e46 unit looks shorter than the original. Any issue with that or is the selector rod a longer one?
Ralph in SoCal

Post by Ralph in SoCal »

maybeillbuyit wrote:
vinceg101 wrote: Ralph said I should mention that one critical upgrade everyone should do regarding Gear Shifters is to replace the stock older E28 Linkage (Gearshift Rod Joint in BMW parlance) with a newer E46 version. Someone had done this more recently in the cars’ past before I got it since this Transmission and Shift Kit went in around 1994 (unless this is an E36 unit?): Here are some examples for illustration:

This looks like a great upgrade, much beefier.I notice the e46 unit looks shorter than the original. Any issue with that or is the selector rod a longer one?
I'll actually be investigating this further with Vince's car as his shifter in neutral position is a little forward for my taste. He's OK with it as it is functional but hopefully there's an easy solution. I think he still has the SSK Shift Rod Joint in place and that could be the reason why. Because of this scenario I've got plans for an adjustable shift rod so that neutral location can be dialed in easily.

Anyway, hoping for an update from Mr. G himself as this is progressing and I'm sure there's a few folks waiting for anything tangible.

Ralph
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Great work Ralph and Vince!

This car is really going to be a nice one when the refresh is complete!
dsmith

Post by dsmith »

I never knew shift rod joint failure was a problem.
maybeillbuyit

Post by maybeillbuyit »

If you shift like Ralph, maybe its a problem!! ;)
ElGuappo

Post by ElGuappo »

Ralph in SoCal wrote:
maybeillbuyit wrote:

I'll actually be investigating this further with Vince's car as his shifter in neutral position is a little forward for my taste. He's OK with it as it is functional but hopefully there's an easy solution. I think he still has the SSK Shift Rod Joint in place and that could be the reason why. Because of this scenario I've got plans for an adjustable shift rod so that neutral location can be dialed in easily.

Anyway, hoping for an update from Mr. G himself as this is progressing and I'm sure there's a few folks waiting for anything tangible.

Ralph
Ralph,
Why not copy the Rogue DSSR design with clevis ends, but use a threaded center portion with jamb nuts at either end...
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

^^^
I know Ralph was going to crawl up under there earlier this week and/or tomorrow when we are all back there. We will discuss the options.

Update coming. Lot's has been happening these last few weeks; I've been working faster than I can keep up the documentation for it.
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

vinceg101 wrote:^^^
I know Ralph was going to crawl up under there earlier this week and/or tomorrow when we are all back there. We will discuss the options.

Update coming. Lot's has been happening these last few weeks; I've been working faster than I can keep up the documentation for it.
Vince... Where are your priorities? :tsk:

;)
vinceg101

Re: 1985 Arktisblau M535i Renovation - Unveiling

Post by vinceg101 »

Guten Tag! Mich erinnern?

Anyone want to dance?
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I bet that feels good. Congrats.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

I know, there was a LOT in between those last two updates.
I owe you all a ton more photos and about a thousand procedures along the way, but it's all been about getting her ready for this weekend in San Diego. So I obviously skipped ahead a bit.

Honestly though, it has been a bumpy week, and it's only Tuesday. As of Saturday night, the car wasn't even running as we were trying everything and asking everyone for possible solutions; so I woke up Sunday not entirely sure this car was going to make it for this Friday. [Turns out it was a reversed pin-out on the ECU Harness Connector (12 & 13) when they Federalized the car for SMOG and installed the Johnson Box. Thank heavens for the ETM and Ralph's anal patience and persistence.] Then it was finishing all the Glass and Door re-assembly, a ruptured FPR O-ring in my driveway, re-scheduling maintenance, and completing the body work installation.

Suffice it to say, she is road-worthy and at about 98%; however this drive will definitely be her true shake-down test. I still have a long night Thursday ahead of me to do the final punch-list stuff and pack; I am going to meet Jay3 at the Hangar sometime around midnight so Ralph and I will be hard at work before then. There are one or two still nagging items we need to address (A/C and a squealing Power Steering Pump) and about a half dozen other small things that are less critical that I would love to get to, but time is an evil mistress.

So for all those on their way to San Diego, you will get to meet her in person.
Last edited by vinceg101 on Mar 15, 2017 4:47 PM, edited 2 times in total.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

wkohler wrote:I bet that feels good. Congrats.
I'm more tired than anything at the moment. And sore.

But yes, it's starting to feel good.
dsmith

Post by dsmith »

Very awesome! I would love to see all of these super shiny e28s some day. For some reason, reassembly always takes me longer than expected. I think it is in correcting misgivings in a car's past life.