I weld

Post your photos and videos here!
cek

Re: I weld

Post by cek »

George wrote:Yes, 2 directions of rotations.
Moar direction of rotation is always gooder.
George

Post by George »

I guess 2 independent axes of rotation is a better description but you get the point. It's great for small automotive fabrication projects.
bkbimmer

Post by bkbimmer »

I'm technically a professional and your setup is soooo much better than mine.
oldskool

Post by oldskool »

bkbimmer wrote:I'm technically a professional and your setup is soooo much better than mine.
You should see his underwear drawer.
EventuallyAyrton
Location: Wherever the E28 happens to be parked- Morrisville, NY

Post by EventuallyAyrton »

George wrote: Ya know, I've been welding for almost 15 years now. About half of that time I did it as a profession and I still have no idea how to stick weld. Nor am I sure why stick welding would be preferable to TIG. Can you enlighten me?
Because it's fun to strike an arc and lay down an insane amount of material. It's frustrating when you start but once you get used to it, it's quite enjoyable. Ever tried to TIG weld a building together? No fun at all
leadphut

Post by leadphut »

oldskool wrote:
bkbimmer wrote:I'm technically a professional and your setup is soooo much better than mine.
You should see his underwear drawer.
as a professional, would you say it's better than yours?
George

Post by George »

EventuallyAyrton wrote:
George wrote: Ya know, I've been welding for almost 15 years now. About half of that time I did it as a profession and I still have no idea how to stick weld. Nor am I sure why stick welding would be preferable to TIG. Can you enlighten me?
Because it's fun to strike an arc and lay down an insane amount of material. It's frustrating when you start but once you get used to it, it's quite enjoyable. Ever tried to TIG weld a building together? No fun at all
Wouldn't MIGing be preferable for something like that? Or is it more reserved for really thick materials?

99% of my welding is/has been automotive fabrication related so no buildings...

This has probably been the largest things I've ever welded and it went together fine with a MIG:

cek

Post by cek »

George wrote:
Da fuq? Is that art? (I guess it must be, if I have to ask).
George

Post by George »

lol. art.

crossfit workout rig.

EventuallyAyrton
Location: Wherever the E28 happens to be parked- Morrisville, NY

Post by EventuallyAyrton »

George wrote:
EventuallyAyrton wrote:
Wouldn't MIGing be preferable for something like that? Or is it more reserved for really thick materials?

99% of my welding is/has been automotive fabrication related so no buildings...

This has probably been the largest things I've ever welded and it went together fine with a MIG
MIG is fine but it's the easiest, the "weakest", and the most boring (in my opinion). You're not at all involved in the process, you just pull the trigger and it does everything for you
bkbimmer

Post by bkbimmer »

Opinions are funny things.
cek

Post by cek »

bkbimmer wrote:Opinions are funny things.
Funny things have opinions.

Funny, things have opinions.

Funny things; have opinions.

Funny. Things. Have opinions.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

I've done some construction type stick welding. Stick smokes like a forest fire.
When you are outdoors its not a problem but for shop type welding its going to taste guacala.
cek

Post by cek »

I've been thinking about this ever since I first dropped the M30B34 out of the bottom of Vlad on the 4-post lift.

It didn't work very well. I almost died.

When I found my Vestil 800lbs lift cart on Craigslist I immediately visualized the solution: A cradle/cart that the lift cart can hoist up and down.

Today I (mostly) completed it.

The idea is to remove the steering/suspension stuff and attach this thing to the sub-frame. When it's done there will be a support for the front of the oil pan (I'm thinking of something adjustable so M20/M30/S54 will all work; that front cross bar lines up directly under the flywheel on an M30). There will also be a support sticking off the rear to support the back of the engine & transmission; again, something adjustable.

I had a beat up set of LCAs lying around and cut them to make a positive-connection to the sub-frame. Originally, my idea was to just have the cradle be a cradle. I like this better. I also like this weld:

Made good use of my welding table!

I haven't bought the casters so you'l have to use your imagination for how it touches the floor when the lift cart is at its lowest.

Yes, this will only work with E28s. But if I ever need to use it on something else, I can easily modify it...Because I now can fu*king weld!
bkbimmer

Post by bkbimmer »

Mine is way better. :lol:

Das_Prachtstrasse

Post by Das_Prachtstrasse »

bkbimmer wrote:Mine is way better. :lol:

Now THAT is a work of art.
bkbimmer

Post by bkbimmer »

Das_Prachtstrasse wrote:
bkbimmer wrote:Mine is way better. :lol:

Now THAT is a work of art.
Being poor helps hone your creative side.
cek

Post by cek »

First time capping square tubes.

Welding nuts in place has become second nature. My grinding skills need work.

Other than the adjustable supports from front of engine/tranny, which won't go on until I have an actual test subject, and maybe paint, she's done.

Video of the contraption in action: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ_2BJ2jI7r/?taken-by=cekzy
cek

Post by cek »

The outdoor range I shoot at no longer provides target stands.

I could have done what everyone else does and use wood or PVC pipe. Nah.

Made with some 1x2" 14ga angle iron left over from the 3-drawer cabinet I bought for the welding table. I had to make the vertical post holders by welding together 5" lengths of the angle iron to make a 1x2" square tube. Total serendipity that I had this stuff laying around.

Also, i realized I never posted the welding table with the drawers I added...
bkbimmer

Post by bkbimmer »

I can't put my finger on it but that table is missing something.
cek

Post by cek »

Now I plasma cut.

Via weldingweb.com I learnt that the Hypertherm Powermax45 is da bomb. So for the last 6 months I've been looking for one to come up used on CL or something. Last week on a local gun nut forum one was posted for sail at a killer price. Picked it up this morning.

OH MY GOD. Using a plasma cutter is SO MUCH FUN. That's 1/2" plate up top. Went through it like a warm knife through butter.
George

Post by George »

Nice! I have a powermax 30 that's accumulated thousands of cuts over the last 10 years. Its been an incredible useful and reliable tool.
cek

Post by cek »

Hub seized on the seadoo trailer. Wheel came off. Thankfully it fell inward and didn't fly all the way off.

New axle came, but is too short. Thought I measured 54" but the original was longer.

Fixed:

Last edited by cek on Jul 29, 2017 8:39 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

I want to see the wakeboard that requires its own special trailer. ;)
cek

Post by cek »

Karl Grau wrote:I want to see the wakeboard that requires its own special trailer. ;)
Brain fade. Fixed.