I weld

Post your photos and videos here!
Mike W.

Re: I weld

Post by Mike W. »

cek wrote: May 03, 2021 1:54 PM
jhh925 wrote: May 03, 2021 12:45 PM I need a bigger garage.
So do I.
Welcome to the club.

I'd even settle for the barn behind me, it's roughly 30X60. I could fit lots of cars inside that out of the harm of UV. Maybe even a little spray booth. Then again, I might just stuff 9 cars in there with no room to work on anything. :roll:
Martin in BellevueWA

Post by Martin in BellevueWA »

I could use a bigger garage.
cek

Post by cek »

Martin in BellevueWA wrote: May 05, 2021 4:10 PM I could use a bigger garage.
Hello neighbor, in Bellevue.

Been working on my welding table remodel.

It's been a long project, primarily because I've been waiting for that Mag Drill to come.

Since I've never used one (or even something with an annular cutter) I just practiced. The big hole is 1 1/16" and that's 1/2" thick plate. Like butter.

First "in anger" job was to fill some of the original holes that supported the welding table planks. Recall that originally the 6"x36"x1/2" planks were spaced apart with 1.5" between them. Part of this remodel is to remove those gaps and then hole "StrongHand" style 3/8" holes.

Filling these 5/8" diameter holes was not strictly needed because the 3/8" angle iron has plenty of meat, but some of the new holes were dangerously closed to overlapping. I first used the right sized bit (3/4"?) that had a 5/8" ID to generate some slugs:

Then some weldment and grinding.

With that done, I used the mag drill to drill new holes.

Math is hard.

I strategically elongated some of the holes because when I built this thing I wasn't very accurate. Each plank is slightly different. The good news is the design provides enough flexibility that I was able to get everything aligned in all axes.

This is still a test fit as I have to disassemble everything to mount the plasma grate...and I am considering painting the frame. But I'm now even more confident that I can make all this work with a table that is square enough for the type of work I'm currently doing. If I mature to the point where I need more accuracy it will trivial to either just buy a StrongHand (or other) pre-made top, or even get something laser-cut custom and then mount it using a technique that does not cause warping.

Next step in the remodel is to put my vise in a better location. Now that I have two hefty vises (and many real vices) I no longer think I need the one on the welding table to be easily removable. Also, since I made the table taller, the vise is slightly too high. The hitch receiver also puts it too far to the center.

...and, since I condensed the planks, removing the gaps, I have room for activities on this end of the table.

...and, this will make the overall length of the table about 8" shorter which will make it easier for me to store the thing.

Using some leftover 6"x1/2" plate I am fabricating a mount. Did I mention plasma cutting is fun?!?

I'll weld those two pieces together, weld the plate to the table frame, and tap holes for the bolts that hold the vise down.

After I attach the plasma grate and re-assemble the top, I'll drill the grid of 3/8" "StrongHand" style holes.
pldlnr

Post by pldlnr »

Nice vise. I have one and it's awesome. Germans make good stuff.
cek

Post by cek »

pldlnr wrote: May 07, 2021 6:07 PM Nice vise. I have one and it's awesome. Germans make good stuff.
Yea, it was a solid buy.

I re-engineered how the vise mounted. It is removable again!

I did the same thing, only differently, for the wheel grinder:

Gotta straighten it...

Pretty happy with this. I may drill holes today...

In other news, I used my daughter and her fiannce's Sprinter van project as an excuse to buy pro paint gear and learn how to use it. I way overspent on guns, but I wanted something that I'd love forever. I've never used an air paint gun before. All my painting to date has been rattle can (see way above when I painted the half doors for Unglina, e.g.).

This all turned out pretty damn good for a first attempt at doing something like this.

It was fun 'playing' with the 'kids' (man, they grow up).

Lessons learned:

- Auto paint is expensive.
- DO NOT use fabric drop cloths to make your hokey, DIY, paint booth. They shed fibers. Oops.
- Really, really, pay attention to where you've sprayed base coat and where you didn't. There's a spot on the hood with barely any coverage. Oops.
- Anyone can do this. Badly.

This was a low-risk job, as nobody expected the paint on this 2008 Sprinter to ever be perfect. Next time I will be far better simply because I've now done it once.

I bought some rattle can for painting the welding table, but now I'm going to use my paint gun instead so I get more practice!

I finally finished the plasma cutting extension for the welding table today. And I was able to test it out.

I love it when a plan comes together!

I'd never really tried gouging with the plasma cutter. It works well and fast. However it does destroy consumables.

Also, got some stickers.

If you don't watch AvE on YouTube you're not living.
cek

Post by cek »

athayer187

Post by athayer187 »

Nice! My takeaway from when I started playing with paint gear - get really good at cleaning your guns, and then you'll be more likely to use them for more projects (more practice).