The Fleet (SFW)

Post your photos and videos here!
cek

Re: The Fleet (SFW)

Post by cek »

Today (Oct 20) is my 911's 34th birthday! 43,884 miles.

This week she got new trim for the rear glass. The old trim had shrunk, causing the two metal trim pieces at the top and bottom to no longer hold the trim in place; this caused the old trim (which, apparently, is plastic bonded to aluminum) to delaminate.

The new OE trim I got from Pelican is all aluminum.

Pretty gnarly job, but we got it done (I re-installed the brake light later).

CYoung

Post by CYoung »

Wish we could get customized classic plates in Wisconsin, perfect match. Nice job on the rear glass, looking forward to following another garage build from you as well.
cek

Post by cek »

I've revived my Garage Journal thread and am posting updates on my new storage/workshop space in Durango (aka Gruntled HQ).

Czech it out here:

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/thr ... st-9844267
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

cek wrote: Nov 23, 2022 11:55 AM I've revived my Garage Journal thread and am posting updates on my new storage/workshop space in Durango (aka Gruntled HQ).

Czech it out here:

It's lovely.
cek

Post by cek »

1st 5er wrote: Nov 23, 2022 12:37 PM
cek wrote: Nov 23, 2022 11:55 AM I've revived my Garage Journal thread and am posting updates on my new storage/workshop space in Durango (aka Gruntled HQ).

Czech it out here:

It's lovely.
Tons of updates in that thread. Getting closer to being able to use the shop in anger for reals. Yesterday I got all the cars moved out of mini-storage for the last time! This weekend I move all my shit out of mini-storage. Lots of organizing and finish work left to do, but that's kinda the point of a space like this, no?

Here's what's left in storage to move:
cek

Post by cek »

Fleet update...

First, my new workshop (Gruntled HQ) in Durango is now no longer a project but a place where projects happen. Had an awesome party to celebrate. Travis even showed up in his 533.

In 1990 @ahab bought two Datsun Roadsters to restore into one. Last week I flew to PA and we exposed them to the environment for the first time in 23 years. They are now packed up and ready to be transported to Gruntled HQ where I'll do my best to make him proud. The project is named "Penny" and if you care, you can follow my build on www.3112.org here.

cek

Post by cek »

My GF's son said "You now have 10 cars". :shock:

The intent on winning this BaT auction was to get a "driver" that would also be a parts donor for Penny. IOW, "3 to make 1". Of course, I bid on a non-driving "driver".

Initial inspection yesterday indicates I scored big-time. The engine appears to have brand new internals and does, in fact, turn over. The body is rusr-free (well, at least it has no massive rot and no signs of major bondo or fiberglass repair). The chassis is sweet. Almost all the parts are original.

So, likely this car will be a bit like Maytag...
cek

Post by cek »

Turns out there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the engine. Took some work getting the ignition & fuel deliver sorted, but I've now put about 20 miles on her, and she's just a joy to drive. Motor pulls strong (even if it insists on idling at 2k) and wants to overheat when not moving. Brakes are good enough but SS lines a bleed, and new rear shoes will help. Gearbox is Right, but a new slave is going in. Steering is suprisingly tight. Goes straight-ish. Suspension feels fine.

She likes being seen around town...

I've achieved my goal of getting her running well enough to get the certified VIN inspection I need to convert the title from a Builder's title to a real title (the Sheriff's office was super nice).

Now I start really pulling things apart to make her mechanically "tits". Without TOO much mission creep (ha!).
  • R&R cooling system. 4-blade fan, new hoses, temp sender, water pump, etc...
  • Radiator is mounted too high. Lower it by ~1cm so cap doesn't touch underside of hood.
  • New exhaust.
  • Refurbished SU carbs (I was going to do it myself, but I don't have the means to fix the shaft-play myself).
  • Replace throttle & choke cables.
  • Brakes. Rear shoes, fix e-brake cable, SS lines.
  • Clutch slave.
  • Reverse light switch.
  • New LED headlights.
  • Figure out why speedo seems to read WAY high.
Given the new exhaust/headers, and the fact that the carbs will come off, I'm tempted to pull the engine & transmission.

This will enable me to deep clean the engine bay and will make replacing the water pump etc... easier. While in there, is the rear main seal leaking? What about the PO report (and evidence I cleaned up) that the head gasket was seeping coolant? Why not just pull the head, get it re-decked, and put a new head gasket in, while there just to be sure?

Of course, there's tons of cosmetic stuff to work on. Especially in the interior. But I'm working REALLY hard to not just start ordering stuff like new carpet, seat covers, vinyl until the mechanical stuff is sorted.
CanadianMiniFan

Post by CanadianMiniFan »

I’d have a close look at all the suspension pivots. Recently did one of these, ball joints are often worn out but especially the control arm pivots. They aren’t rubber bushings, but threaded bushings on a pin, and it’s hard to tell how much play they have when everything is together. If you drop the spring out, you can reef on them and I’m sure unless this was greased reigiously, you’ll find play. Steering linkage is easier to check. As for how far to go on the engine, I’ll leave that to your judgement. I know how “while you’re in there” goes, and with the head off, if there’s some wear in the bore are you just going to put the head back on? If the heads off I’d get a valve job done, or at least do a cylinder leakage check before removing the head. This is an era of engine where top end refreshes were semi regular service, not like a “modern” 80s bmw engine. Have fun!

Edit: I see this is a 2000, I have worked more on 1600s, so if the 2000 got rubber bushings disregard my suspension comments, but I believe it would have the same set up.
cek

Post by cek »

CanadianMiniFan wrote: Mar 03, 2024 5:00 PM I’d have a close look at all the suspension pivots.

Edit: I see this is a 2000, I have worked more on 1600s, so if the 2000 got rubber bushings disregard my suspension comments, but I believe it would have the same set up.
After I get the drivetrain sorted, next will be suspension. I plan on replacing it all with aftermarket components that have been modernized. I have read up enough (and talked with friends) to understand what you've noted about the bushings (they are not rubber).
CanadianMiniFan wrote: Mar 03, 2024 5:00 PM As for how far to go on the engine, I’ll leave that to your judgement. I know how “while you’re in there” goes, and with the head off, if there’s some wear in the bore are you just going to put the head back on? If the heads off I’d get a valve job done, or at least do a cylinder leakage check before removing the head. This is an era of engine where top end refreshes were semi regular service, not like a “modern” 80s bmw engine. Have fun!
Who knows what I'll find with the head off, but remember: a) the head appears brand new, b) with the bore scope, I could see what looked like newish cross-hatching in the cylinders...
CanadianMiniFan

Post by CanadianMiniFan »

As is usual you’ve done your research, carry on!