2/85 E28 M5 Project - 10-16-18 Update

Post your photos and videos here!
pldlnr

Re: 2/85 E28 M5 Project - 01-19-16 Update

Post by pldlnr »

I can't tell you how great it is to see a true euro m5 end up in your hands. You have demonstrated that you do what it takes to restore a car properly - including the hard work that isn't visible and at a clean car. That's what a car like this deserves.
dan101smith

Post by dan101smith »

Car looks great.

I suspect you're going to have a hard time sourcing the first aid kit panel for it - is the US version different?
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Thanks. I see no provisions for the first aid kit panel in this car and while the trunk seems to be an area that very few people photograph, they then seem to keep those photographs to themselves. This one is a pretty early car so I'm thinking it's possible that it didn't have one. Notice that it has the straps to hold the warning triangle instead of the molded cover, which I understand to have changed during production as well. There are no tabs on the left side welded to the top of the quarter so I don't know where the first aid kit is supposed to go.
Rich Euro M5

Post by Rich Euro M5 »

wkohler wrote:Thanks. I see no provisions for the first aid kit panel in this car and while the trunk seems to be an area that very few people photograph, they then seem to keep those photographs to themselves. This one is a pretty early car so I'm thinking it's possible that it didn't have one. Notice that it has the straps to hold the warning triangle instead of the molded cover, which I understand to have changed during production as well. There are no tabs on the left side welded to the top of the quarter so I don't know where the first aid kit is supposed to go.
About the first aid kit box. I researched this about a decade ago when I acquired my Euro M5, it was pretty much unobtanium. As far as mounting, the original kits included the metal mounting tabs. These are to be welded into the trunk, I can't recall the exact placement, but IIRC, it's the underside of the trunk lip on the left side. The mounting tabs are similar to the one holding the battery box cover in place.

I see your M5 is 1018046, my M5 is a 2/85 build and it's 1018034, twelve apart, so possibly on the assembly line together.

Rich in Houston
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Best I can tell, my car and others of relatively early production aren't supposed to have the first aid kit box. Of course, that brings up questions like, "where does the first aid kit go?" since I'm pretty sure you are required to carry one. Obviously, it couldn't be carried in the standard location due to the battery, so I'm not sure.
Machtig

Post by Machtig »

Badass. That is all, carry on :D
Rich Euro M5

Post by Rich Euro M5 »

wkohler wrote:Best I can tell, my car and others of relatively early production aren't supposed to have the first aid kit box. Of course, that brings up questions like, "where does the first aid kit go?" since I'm pretty sure you are required to carry one. Obviously, it couldn't be carried in the standard location due to the battery, so I'm not sure.
There was a retrofit kit available, it was listed in the Umrust Set CDs. In the past I could look this stuff up, but since I upgraded my computer earlier this year my bevy of BMW CDs are useless.

Richard
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I'm totally fine not having it. I was never really a fan of the extra crap anyway. Basically, if it came with it, great. If not, I'm not going to add it.
wkohler

Re: 2/85 E28 M5 Project - 10-16-18 Update

Post by wkohler »

Turns out that about a month or so ago, I crossed the three-year mark with this car and while I've fixed a few things, my commitment to completing the E12 M535i first and trying to figure out the most-efficient way to tackle all of the car's needs left it largely sitting in the storage unit. Part of having thinned the herd a bit was to finally give this M5 some attention but work, other projects and essentially just being burnt out by the M535i kept it in storage. A friend who knows what's up on the M88 offered to help me get the engine in shape. He drove the car in 2016 and could tell there was potential for great improvement and that it's time sitting has had an effect. With my nature, I'd really like to do much of this myself with some guidance or at the very least be an integral part of the process so I can learn. Unfortunately, this desire is part of the reason nothing has been done beyond the minimal sorting to make the car safe. Finally, sometime mid-summer, I decided that I needed to see some progress, so I made arrangements to drive the car to California and just leave it there until he was satisfied with it.

My list became a little longer than just the engine. With a brake booster leak and the age of pretty much everything rubber on the car combined with sitting, I didn't want to take the car over, get the engine in shape then have to take a bunch of stuff apart to fix other things that could have easily been tackled before.

Essentially, we (the royal 'we,' you know, the editorial) tackled the following:
-Tons of cleaning. I had gotten started while removing things like the charcoal canister and the mess leading to it, but we went to a much higher level.
-Valve adjustment/compression test, various adjustments, Moosehead throttle linkage kit, new throttle cable (sucks), virtually all rubber replaced, etc
-New plugs, cap/rotor, air/oil filter, oil pressure switch and oil service (not due for one but when in Rome)
-Cooling system refresh including aluminum radiator
-New fuel pumps and all fuel hoses, FPR, serviced fuel injectors and installed correct CSV with proper hose
-Brake booster rebuild, replaced pressure switches, filter and the low-pressure lines
-Complete shifter rebuild using stock parts, new guibo
-Removal of vintage alarm/telephone/other aftermarket wiring and subsequent sorting of battery terminal connections along with reference sensor connections
-Replaced the trunk-lid hinges with new, reinstalled original torsion rods, new dog bones (I didn't get to that myself)
-Before I delivered the car, I replaced the whole front end including Moosehead UCABs (I now have six cars running these), E31 lower control arms and all new steering linkage which, of course, led to an alignment.
-Front brakes. ^ brought the excessive lateral runout of the front rotors front and center so it was a need more than a want. Fortunately, parts costs are reasonable with E32 discs.

There's more, but I didn't bother putting the minutiae in the list. It was a lot of work, some of it certainly more rewarding than most and as I kept saying, this wasn't the restoration. It took us to a point where I think we could call the car largely sorted to where it's a great driver and I plan to spend some time behind the wheel now that the cooler weather is upon us (AC is not something that was on my list at this stage). There is a marked improvement in performance. Granted, given the somewhat fragile state of the car after extended periods of non-use, I never really pushed it but there is a definite difference, even in just moderate driving. Of course I have much more confidence in the car to give it the beans and it does a great job there. I can only imagine that with more regular use, it will further improve. I am sure that had I left it in CA longer, it would have gotten better, but I didn't want the car to overstay its welcome as much as I appreciated the storage relief.

Here's a photo I took under the hood after I returned home. Compare it to the similar shot in the first post of the thread and I think you'll agree there's a substantial improvement in just appearance alone.

Also, since everyone likes looking at photos of cars from the outside, here's a shot from my trip home on Sunday.

Last edited by wkohler on Oct 17, 2018 3:11 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Pavel

Post by Pavel »

Engine bay - don't want to load.
cek

Post by cek »

Pavel wrote:Engine bay - don't want to load.
Ditto:

LeiseyJr

Post by LeiseyJr »

It happened to me on your last E12 M535i post as well.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Oh well.
Nick1984

Post by Nick1984 »

What a beauty! :up:
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

My favorite of the cars in your collection.
Hffvdbl

Post by Hffvdbl »

What's new here Chris? Any updates?