FUBAR 528e, Gauging Condition of the M90

Post your photos and videos here!
LeiseyJr

Re: FUBAR 535e"s" Build 1/2020 M1.3, Euro Bumper, Newspaper

Post by LeiseyJr »

So uhh here's a update.

Image2020 update by samleisey, on Flickr

Let's rewind. I did end up going to tex-fest. Just to show my face, that was a sudden impulse decision. It was a good road trip, the last road trip on the Korman chip. Saw some cool cars, played Uno with Eric (hitmanx) and pals. It was nice to see everyone, even though I was barely there.

So that happened, then the tuning process begin. So daily driving the car switching between tunes trying to dial it in. I also changed the diff, and unfortunately where my hangar mounted to was broken on this diff. So bailing wire has been holding it up for several months now. That's cool.

This was a shitty semester academically for me. I ain't that bright and Calc 2 and statics destroyed me and then in my easy class the professors were doing some clown stuff that shafted me. So I got lower grades then expected. We'll come back next semester.

One day during that I decided to flash my ecu on windows 10 and broke the chip. So that was neat. I had to install a windows virtual machine at school in the food court, I somehow got it with tunes flashed onto it.
Image2020 update by
Image2020 update by samleisey, on Flickrsamleisey, on Flickr

Thanksgiving happened, went to go see my grandparents. Car did the trek perfectly fine even got 20 mpg!!!

I also visited what remained of my childhood racetrack.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2i8Tz9K]Image2020 update by samleisey, on Flickr

After that was finals, this was my hardest last test. Telling which one was mine. These damn beige econoboxes just all look the same.
ImageUntitled by samleisey, on Flickr

and finally winter break. I have been going to Catalina Coffee car meets every Sunday, just because.

I really want my car to be a similar version of these.

Onto the good ol changes. I dialed in the M1.0 idle as best as I could. I wanted smoother so out came the M1.3 parts. So one day at a big oil company where I intern, I naturally labeled my M1.3 super eta harness and re routed what needed to be re routed from super eta harness.

I only had to extend the oil pressure switch areas. I just removed stuff from the loom and moved it where it needed to go. It plugged right in and fired up. I did have issues flashing miller with 179 tunes, but I eventually got it sorted.

Messy but functional.

Then to test it out my M1.3 swap I went to a weird event, drift/autox at Houston Police Academy. It was essentially a rented out track with people hotlapping. It was hard to get clean laps in grip driving. However it did present a problem with M1.3, the adjuster nut for the crank sensor was loose. So it began to cut out at this event, I had to leave the event early because grandparents were coming into town. I did figure it out there though, when it finally slipped down when CPS was rubbing on the wheel it was supposed to be reading. The amazing thing was car was still running as they tried to grind themselves apart. I adjusted that to spec with a business card and we were back in action. The Houston Chronicle also came and wrote about us, so this old shitbox made the newspaper.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/h ... ron-result

For my birthday, my girlfriend bought a Windshield from Sherman for me. Unfortunately...

So I instead traded that for truck carpet and some other tid bits

We also pulled this dash for my dads car while we were there:

I also treated myself this Christmas to euro bumpers. Which has no revealed my Fubar tail panel. Don't wear a thong with an eyesore of an ass.

The front bumper situation, not sure what to do there. My frame rails are bent, so even if I do complete the pieces I have for a euro front its gonna be crooked. So front will remain the same most likely.

I also changed the fuel pump, I think it has sorted the hot start issue.

Plans for 2020:
Focus on school
Just drive this bitch, fix cheap little things. Clean up interior. Preserve exterior. Try not to go to any events, just for once save up some money and really focus in school.

SHAMELESS PLUG: PM if you want one $7 Shipped
LeiseyJr

Re: FUBAR 535e"s" Build 1/2020 M1.3, Euro Bumper, Newspaper

Post by LeiseyJr »

To make a long story short, I had to fix my clutch pedal. Master cylinder died, so it got a new one. Took forever to bleed it and get it right but it finally happened. I then proceeded to send 5 hours shining shit, aka un shadowlining the rear bumper.

ImageEuro by samleisey, on Flickr
maybeillbuyit

Re: FUBAR 535e"s" Build 2/2020 shining sh*t

Post by maybeillbuyit »

Wow, you found a dogleg in a yard. Not many yard pickers will ever be able to say that. Congrats. That would be the highlight of my year. What ever happened with fixing the original dogleg with the 4 spd parts? I have a very old suspect dogleg might need that fix someday.
LeiseyJr

Post by LeiseyJr »

maybeillbuyit wrote:Wow, you found a dogleg in a yard. Not many yard pickers will ever be able to say that. Congrats. That would be the highlight of my year. What ever happened with fixing the original dogleg with the 4 spd parts? I have a very old suspect dogleg might need that fix someday.
http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=7& ... g#p1402603
I have found 2 in the yards, and one for $5 (trade for e34 m50 dipstick). Law of attraction and good luck are all I can contribute it too.

They all need layshaft bearings, unless you have some known low mileage ones that dont rumble. Anything even 150k+ should have it done I would say.

That trans is apart right now, the layshaft has been repaired with a G262 4th gear. So we now have 5 gears with all teeth again. My dad is machining the Input shaft out, and pressing a in a collar for the bearing that rides in it. Then after that, the painful process of reassembly will begin. I only needed 4 speed trans because, when layshaft bearing went it took all the 5th gear teeth with it.
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

No plans for front bumper??
gaberdee

Post by gaberdee »

Crackin me up. Like this build a lot, nice work man!
LeiseyJr

Post by LeiseyJr »

tschultz wrote:No plans for front bumper??
maybe....

ImageIMG_6343 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6317 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6311 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6308 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr
LeiseyJr

Re: FUBAR 535e"s" 2/17 front euro and beige

Post by LeiseyJr »

It's quite rough. All the rubber trim is held on with zipties, and the plate cover is cracked and held together by zip-ties. It's screwed in though.

The front bumper chrome is quite horrid on corners, that's why p/o painted it black. Luckily, it has "patina" for the car.

I also forgot how fucked, left frame rail is.

Reduce reuse and recycle?

I could drill into them from the back with screws, seems more destructive then just having zipties. So idk if it's much better. That feels scummy to me to hide that, rather have zipties showing that I cant afford OE mounted shit. Then screwing into stuff from behind drilling more holes, hacking more stuff up. I'd rather have messed up chrome, then it hiding underneath black paint.

I want this car to look honest.

The foglights are expensive holes to fill, but we'll figure it out.
It looks better, but has changed ethos of the car. I am not that pleased with the end result, but the parts were not that good to start with.

I am happy, in that it's all installed and can only get better from here.
Tiit

Re: FUBAR 535e"s" full euro, and beige

Post by Tiit »

Zip ties will do. It’s perfect.
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Dat paint doe!!! Looks super. :cool:
LeiseyJr

Re: FUBAR 535e"s" foglightdelete.exe installed 2/27

Post by LeiseyJr »

Image881FBB38-9078-4E2D-B0BB-77F26301A66C by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6747 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6739 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr
(admire the spicy frame damage)

Studied for 3 days for my calc 2 test to get a 52. That's a super cool positive feedback loop. My friend 3D printed some foglight delete things, supposed to match the grill. Give it some flare, since the factory ones are just a flat plate.

ImageIMG_6918 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr
ImageIMG_6929 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr
LeiseyJr

Post by LeiseyJr »

I've had this thing for 6 years.
Beemernut

Post by Beemernut »

It's really cool to see a build that I can "resonate" with. I dearly love Shark, wouldn't part with him for anything...but yeah he looks really "honest." I've had him for I think over 3 years, and he's my daily, and yeah there's one or two inconspicuous zip ties holding him together. I like a car that grows with you, maybe even matures. Like a tough old pair of boots. Hope Fubar has big plans in the future.
TYMHM

Post by TYMHM »

Went through the entire thread, and enjoyed it. It's great to see how far the car has come over the years. I definitely enjoy these multi year threads. Keep up the good work!
LeiseyJr

Re: FUBAR 535e"s" Interior Project Begins 3/6/2020

Post by LeiseyJr »

The next project I have created is: ruining my interior

I really wanted to clean up my interior. When I got my car it was a fairly clean interior. Please refer to first thread page. However after being a clown and a teenager. It has degraded a bit, due to yours truly.
I like the color, but Tan looks so horrid when dirty. It's a very fine line with pearl beige that's a nice interior and just filth. I would need to source a lot of clean Pearl Beige pieces or one that wasnt touched by a Grease Clown. So why not just change the color?

I decided on the color Mocca. Why? Well with beige, your interior color options are limited. Only things that really work are Tan, Brown and Black. I see Black interiors all the time, it's not that they look bad. Also in Houston summers they are brutal. Finding a cloth one would also be very difficult. No to mention I have to be my inner hipster. To be a hipster you have to pick something period correct that is now yucky, hence the color choice brown. Nutria, is a brown color while being the most common. It is somewhat swampy color.
Mocca a much earlier color, as shown on RealOEM to have stopped in 9/82 is what I have chosen. (I saw it first here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv7iUI5Pjy8 ) Meaning its euro spec for maximum street cred. It has more of a poo poo brown esque color that I fancy more. Now it's an early and color, where the hell do you find the parts? That is a fantastic question. I am working on that...

On my limited income throughout the semester, I decided financially it made sense to buy Mocca glovebox, door cards, and 2 front door handles. My girlfriend who is a financial adviser disagreed, but what does she know?
ImageIMG_7159 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr
ImageIMG_7158 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

The next purchase will be:
ImageIMG_7122 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

The seller cannot send the seats understandably from Europe. He has been kind enough to remove the upholstery and ship that. So then I will recover a set of seats here with this fabric, as well as replace the the stupid coconut husk. My girlfriend will finally have a comfort seat again, so I can stop hearing about that.

Parts I still need to source:
Underdash tray (this must be in Mocca or dyed somehow)
center console (this could be in black)
ebrake thing (this could be in black)
Speaker Covers

in either mocca or some rough ones (sherman) to attempt to paint.

My carpet has been ruined eons before me so that will be dyed. I guess that means black speaker covers too.

Why install a clean interior I will probably ruin? :dunno:

Stay tuned....

Bronzit Beige and Poo poo brown interior 528e, are what enthusiast dream about.
Last edited by LeiseyJr on Mar 06, 2020 9:32 AM, edited 2 times in total.
LeiseyJr

Re: FUBAR 535e"s"

Post by LeiseyJr »

Beemernut wrote:It's really cool to see a build that I can "resonate" with. I dearly love Shark, wouldn't part with him for anything...but yeah he looks really "honest." I've had him for I think over 3 years, and he's my daily, and yeah there's one or two inconspicuous zip ties holding him together. I like a car that grows with you, maybe even matures. Like a tough old pair of boots. Hope Fubar has big plans in the future.
Glad you can relate to it, I have trouble myself with the high caliber builds that usually frequent these water.
TYMHM wrote:Went through the entire thread, and enjoyed it. It's great to see how far the car has come over the years. I definitely enjoy these multi year threads. Keep up the good work!
Don't worry there is more work to come. I unfortunately cannot promise it being "good".
LeiseyJr

Post by LeiseyJr »

1st 5er wrote:Dat paint doe!!! Looks super. :cool:
:alright:
LeiseyJr

Re: FUBAR 535e"s" Interior Project Begins 3/6/2020

Post by LeiseyJr »

The internal rocker is much worse then I thought. Stay tuned...
LeiseyJr

Re: FUBAR 535e"s" Rust Repair 4/6

Post by LeiseyJr »

It's been a month a lot of things have happened. I was waiting for interior to be done to get updated, however Coronavirus is fucking me. Hopefully that upholstery gets here in due time.

So my LF jack point has been shot for a couple years. I thought it was just dented, so my plan was when carpet was removed to hammer that back down. However removing the carpet revealed inner rocker was non existent:

Imageaprilupdate by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

So we cut out all the old shit and notice how bent jack point is. Floor was crunched up about 2 inches I think.
Imageaprilupdate2 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr
Imageaprilupdate1 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

Luckily, I knew this was gonna happen one day and saved a mostly rust free rocker and pan from Sherman. for the inner rocker, we flanged over the old. Replacing the hole inner rocker is not an option for a multitude of reasons. Goal here is to actually have a jack point, and a rocker thats sound. Cosmetics are secondary.
Imageaprilupdate3 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr
Imageaprilupdate4 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

Jack point was reinforced
Imageaprilupdate5 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr
Imageaprilupdate6 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

It's just that easy.

All credit goes to my friend Ryo and my father, who have enough time and patience to do the repair correctly or should I say structurally sound. The issue is, it's been rotted for so long and I've been jacking it up for so long nothing is straight except for new pieces we welded in. Anyway its all in. The other holes were welded over with patch metal.

While we were doing this I remembered my sunroof was rusted, I was just gonna glop some paint on it and call it a day. I then found it wasnt even attached at one corner....

Arizona had a rust free one, I had to paint it to match. It also now has a genuine BMW seal on it as well.
ImageDCFCDF32-F5B6-4F1A-8126-0F55E45AEAA5 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr
Image3521DCE8-F002-4A0D-88E2-B39B60BF4E26 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8965 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8966 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

Installed:
ImageIMG_8975 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

So that is all fixed, I'm waiting on the upholstery. I hope it gets here, because if it doesn't I'm screwed. Its last update was leaving Russia on 3/26.

ImageIMG_7122 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

I also swapped back to M1.0 and I love the results. Not only is the harness actually routed and everything fits correctly. It also runs better. The alpina B10 tune I had on M1.3 caused similar problems as my 061 B10 tune, stumble for very light tip in, reduced throttle response in general. Heel toes needed a very aggressive over exaggerated blip. Not to mention heavy oil burning on decel after high rpm, which is now magically gone. M1.3 has more potential obviously but I have spent 2 months on my 1.0 tune and its all brand new components. No tot mention the 10.0 AFR cold starts with the M1.3. It's all fixable, but I spent a lot of time fixing m1.0 already.

I'm very proud of my WAR tune and how this engine is running. It has very good throttle response for a barn door, and driveablity is great. Idle is not as mint but I'll tough it out. Still idles smoother then my girlfriends chevy sonic,

So engine is finally sorted and for now my chassis is sorted structurally speaking.

I need to redo trunk seal, get door window guide seals and a new windshield seal (as well as windshield).

Then chassis should be pretty mint.

I have most of the interior where I want it, will do a final update for that when/if it gets finished.
LeiseyJr

Re: FUBAR 535e"s" REAR SEAT IS IN!

Post by LeiseyJr »

Got the rear seat all in today.

After a lot of headache with post office, mocca package is in ready to be taken home.

ImageIMG_9832 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

Carma_Cardan can pack.
ImageIMG_9835 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9834 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

So you can't ship full rear and front seats from Europe. Well you can for just a lot of money. A alternative however is to ship the upholstery and recover some cores. So I recovered my original pearl beige leather bottom, and a very early 533i pearl beige leather without the seat-belt holder things. My original top seat back had those it's in storage now.

This is after I reupholstered the back seat bottom. Following this I proceeded to trip over it in flip flops and cut the shit out of my toe (cover your eyes).
ImageIMG_9839 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

Image60885514352__DE4B2BB2-F1D6-49C5-B8AD-040D2B149A25 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

Then we moved onto the rear seat top
ImageD1D9431E-ACB1-4903-B3E0-553F3299C732 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iRt6hZ]Image55B51317-63BC-494B-90B0-B117488456AC by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr
ImageBA137B8D-62DA-4282-AFCC-6063FE555E31 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

It's just that easy!
Image057893B9-800F-43AA-94E3-AAB4FB76E5B1 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

Only complaint I have is right side coconut husk is very worn, but whatever. I don't sit in the back Anyway. Left side is mint, I will just recommend to a passenger to sit on the left side on long trips or back a pillow for their back.

VOILA!
ImageIMG_9862 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

Picture is inversed, but girlfriends dog went into a deep slumber. He tramped around on it as well. So it has passed QC test.
ImageE28CB7AA-F148-45C8-A9FE-D13DC12040E4 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

I still need to get passenger seat core, as well as the base. Then I can just recover. OR I might dye my current passenger seat. TBD.

Anyway super happy with how its coming out so far. Fulfills my euro cloth interior dreams not to mention I think it's a good color with bronzit. I did all this because one video lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv7iUI5Pjy8

I guess theme of car is ratty eastern Europe 525e with euro m30 swap and dogleg.
WalterH

Post by WalterH »

I love everything about this thread. Especially the foot pics. Those can fetch decent money. :cool:
LeiseyJr

Post by LeiseyJr »

WalterH wrote:I love everything about this thread. Especially the foot pics. Those can fetch decent money. :cool:
Gotta fund the build somehow
LeiseyJr

Post by LeiseyJr »

tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Now you just need some period correct - Mahle wheels with a nice patina to finish off the look!
LeiseyJr

Re: FUBAR 535e"s" 4/22 MOCCA DONE

Post by LeiseyJr »

So we started with this truly mint pearl beige that has been sitting at Shermans outside, and flooded a couple of times. Originally from a euro 525e, eurospec af bro

ImageIMG_0065 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0070 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

Then sprayed some lysol on it and it was restored
ImageIMG_0072 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

I didn't have any manual rails, so went to Shermans went to the outdoor seat pile.
ImageIMG_0148 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

A driver side power rail will work for now. After some very gentle taps the motors and relays came back to life.
The reverse function needs some gentle tapping on the relay boxes to work sometimes. Considering its been sitting outdoors and flooded, amazed everything else works fairly reliably.

ImageIMG_0149 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0160 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0153 by Kurvenkamph Motorsport, on Flickr

What a debacle to get this brown interior. Worth it though