- Alpine White on Anthracite (was Pearl Beige)
- Built July, 1986; 1st sold in Dallas
- 2nd owner shipped to LA (@87k) Jan 1994, moved to Seattle Aug 2012
- I purchased (3rd owner) November 16, 2013 at 202,305 miles
- Currently at about 218,000 miles (October 2022)
- Converted to 5-Speed from Auto
- Personally built M20B27 (81mm stroke) high-compression (9.5:1) motor (Maytag's M20B27 'e2i' Engine Build Thread)
- Bored “40 over” to 86mm.
- Wisco custom pistons, based on C&D Performance’s Pro3 design
- Max-speeding 130mm h-beam rods
- 885 head with 3-sided valve grind
- Stock camshaft
- Cometic 0.086”, 86mm bore MLS Head Gasket
- ARP studs
- 325i injectors (0-280-150-716)
- 380 ECU (stock)
- Exhaust: stock 87 Eta
- Dyno: 146 hp / 163 ft-lbs torque (at wheels)
- 13lbs flywheel
- Z3 shifter
- 3.25 LSD
- TRE-340 255 LPH single in-tank fuel pump
- Holy Grail Labs blade fuse upgrade kit
- 740iL calipers, ATE rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, stainless hoses
- BBS RS005 (16x7 ET11) (F) RS 006 (16x8 ET24 (R)
- Michelin Pilot Exalto 225/50R16 (F) 205/55R16 (R)
- Winter: BBS RX223 16x8" ET15 wheels - Nokian Hakapelittas R2s in 205/55R16
- M5 3.0 turn steering box
- H&R Springs + Bilstein Performance Pro B8 (Sport, 6-perch) shocks
- OE Front strut bearings
- Ireland Engineering adjustable rear toe/camber kits
- Powerflex rear sub-frame bushings
- Moosehead Upper Control Arms
- Lemforder Aluminum Lower Control Arms
- Stock 528e sway bars (19mm F and 15.5mm R)
- Converted from beige with E28 Comfort seats to:
- Anthracite carpet and trim
- Custom upholstered E28 Sport Seats with Porsche 2AC Blue/Green “Tartan” Fabric (from Lakewell.com)
- M-Tech II steering wheel
- Hard-wired Valentine 1 radar detector
- Blackvue DR750S-2CH Dash Cam
- Keinzle MCR1016BT head unit, stock speakers
- Lighted ///M shift knob (6-speed LOL)
Now (Summer 2020):
Read the first page of this thread and you'll see how this story starts.
Go to this post on the 2nd page to see how it continues: http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=12 ... c&start=25
Original 1st post:
I'm getting close to the point where I will pull the B34 out of Vlad and put the B35 in. Because it is my first time it will not go smoothly and will take longer than I plan. I plan on it taking a few weekends.
So maybe it will take 90 days.
What do I drive to work in the meantime?
That got me thinking. What interesting car could I find for something like $2500-5000 that I would have a high-probability of being able to resell after 90 days and maybe 2000 miles to recover the outlay minus tax & insurance?
Some rough requirements in priority order:
1. Has to be bullet-proof reliable with no initial work for at least 90 days (2000 miles) (I want ALL my wrench time to be dedicated to the B35 project).
2. Reasonable winter car (no convertibles, no slammed Integras)
3. No larger than an E28
4. Fun to drive (manual, sporty, nimble)
5. Interesting (offbeat, rare, ugly, cute, etc...)
Cosmetic condition is not important.
I poked around on http://www.carsforsale.com using a price-range of $2000-5000 and found stuff like these:
Let's just say that these miss the mark although the Caddy & Aztek would be hilarious.
What would you suggest? I'm semi-serious about this, so please be semi-serious in your responses and try to keep it on topic.