1st 5er

Re: Maytag: The Alpine '87 529i

Post by 1st 5er »

:wave:

Lookin' good dude.
cek

Post by cek »

Maytag just got "@Galahad's Blade Fuse Retrofit kit Protytpe V2" installed.

This version differs from Prototype V1 that went in Minerva:

- Transistors automatically enable diagnostic LEDs only when the ignition is on
- Socketed LEDs
- 15A fuse bridging fuses 7 & 8 for US cars. Remove this fuse if the car is a Euro car.
- Better insulation up to to prevent accidents if shit gets dropped on it.
- Black instead of green

Installation took just about 3 hours, but I took tons of pictures along the way to help Galahad with his installation instructions. Worked perfectly (sans a minor issue with the status LEDs that he's going to address in the final version).

For Minerva, I did the 'deconstruction' of the bullet-style fuse holders with the fuse box out of the car (a complete box transplant). And Minerva had no "melty" because it was a brand new fuse box. But I did Maytag as most people will, in-situ. Also, Maytag has the classic "Melty" at Fuse 17 which most people will encounter. Happy to report going medieval on the bullet connectors while all the relay wiring is still in place was no more difficult than when the box was out of the car.

Some pics of the process.

Melty

This mod makes me mucho happy.

If you are interested in this mod, please email me at ckindel (at) gmail (dot) com so I can help @Galahad by doing some customer research (I have a survey I'd like you to answer).
Bonsaibacker

Post by Bonsaibacker »

Now that is exciting- looking forward to being a part of the roll out. Clean as always.
muleskinner

Post by muleskinner »

ooooffff....that's a lot of time, effort, and work put into this. Looking forward to the plug and play version once it's done.
cek

Post by cek »

All the suspension rework has left Maytag wandering. Yesterday I had my fave shop address that.

I've been fighting some odd fuel system symptoms for a while:

1) Long ignition turn required after car has been sitting (but is still warm); feels like no fuel pressure in the rail and waiting for the pump to give 'er the gas.
2) When cold, tons of hesitation on throttle input. Gets better once warm.
3) When hot, surging idle (sometimes).

Seems fuel pressure related.

Jay suggested said he had similar symptoms that were caused by his single-in-tank pump having a leak in the hose that connects the pump to the hanger. So I pulled the TRE pump and inspected it. All I see is my fantastic workmanship; no sign of any way this could be leaking.

I don't have a fuel pressure tester, so in the meantime I threw on the IE adjustable regulator I had originally used on Vlad. This seems to have helped the surging idle, but not #1 or #2 above. I'm going to actually put a pressure tester on there and also put in a spare 3.0 regulator I have.

Any other suggestions on what I should test?
Crazy_Canuck

Post by Crazy_Canuck »

Test the coolant temp sensor, sounds like the computer doesn't know what the temp is.
cek

Post by cek »

Crazy_Canuck wrote: Mar 31, 2021 2:09 AM Test the coolant temp sensor, sounds like the computer doesn't know what the temp is.
Excellent suggestion. I decided to take the time to rule that out:

- Tested temp sensor. It reads correctly at ~68F and moves appropriately when temp changes.
- Tested ground to temp sensor (BR/OR). Good!
- Tested continuity of temp sensor wire to ECU (BR/RD, 325i ECU Pin 45). Good!