The 535i build thread. 302 swap

Post your photos and videos here!
BDKawey

Re: The 535i build thread. 302 swap

Post by BDKawey »

figured out why this thing runs like a massive turd after doing a compression test. indicated a bad head gasket

started tear down
ImageUntitled by Aaron Wey, on Flickr

will be using this time to upgrade to better heads and intake, likely just sticking with gt40 heads and intake that came in some cobras and the 5.0 from the explorer. heads and intake should net me about 60hp or so
T_C_D

Post by T_C_D »

Good stuff.
Raj

Post by Raj »

Very nice! Considering this swap for my td...like the compactness/weight of the 302 & t5 combo, and hard to ignore all the running sn95 5.0's out there being sold for next to nothing due to smog issues or torn convertible tops. Biggest obstacle thus far been starter clearance to suspension? Other than that and driver side exhaust routing, any other issues you've come across? Sure wish someone made e28/302/t5 mounts like classicdaily makes LS/t56 mounts. Would make the decision a lot easier...

From what I've read, the later explorers have the most desirable gt40p heads (better than gt40, though still iron), but they come with a weak ass cam. My understanding is those heads & intake with a better cam should yield close to 300 crank hp. Add an intake & tune (and headers if u can fit 'em), you should get closer to 350 hp.

What year/model Ford is your 302 out of?
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

Raj wrote:Very nice! Considering this swap for my td...like the compactness/weight of the 302 & t5 combo, and hard to ignore all the running sn95 5.0's out there being sold for next to nothing due to smog issues or torn convertible tops. Biggest obstacle thus far been starter clearance to suspension? Other than that and driver side exhaust routing, any other issues you've come across? Sure wish someone made e28/302/t5 mounts like classicdaily makes LS/t56 mounts. Would make the decision a lot easier...

From what I've read, the later explorers have the most desirable gt40p heads (better than gt40, though still iron), but they come with a weak ass cam. My understanding is those heads & intake with a better cam should yield close to 300 crank hp. Add an intake & tune (and headers if u can fit 'em), you should get closer to 350 hp.

What year/model Ford is your 302 out of?
this 5.0 is from an 89 mustang. you just made me realize i never posted what ill be doing for exhaust temporarily. ill get a photo up later.

and yeah, in order to clear the subframe and suspension you have to beat the firewall in a bit. but the transmission also sits really high. i had to cut out the shifter hole larger in order to fit it with how high the motor needs to be. idk if you could even get it to fit with the interior console piece. but stolenfox did it so it must be able to some how. also for the angle of the driveshaft i wasn't able to have the factory cable ebrake mount because it sits so low in the driveshaft tunnel. in my opinion, the 5.0 doesn't fit in an e28 chassis very well, much easier to fit it in an e30. but they mod the oil pan which with a custom one for an e28 it could make this swap fit tenfold better. just need it a little lower in the bay. but for me and stolenfox the 289 pan and a front sump pickup tube was enough to get the job done.

and yes to gt40p heads being slightly better than the regular gt40 heads, and they're easier to find. but the big difference for me is the angle of the spark plug as it screws into the block.it makes it hard to fit some headers, this may or may not be a problem with me running reverse mounted headers. not a ton of people do that so i cant confirm if they will even work for me or not so id prefer to just stick with what i know works, gt40.
Raj

Post by Raj »

Thanks for the info. Ever look into aftermarket front sump pans?
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

Raj wrote:Thanks for the info. Ever look into aftermarket front sump pans?
no i havent. with already having my mounts built its a little late for that. but i probably should have exhausted that option a little. i have a moroso pan for a 289. dont know if its the exact same as a factory replacement or not.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

Cant seem to catch a break with this thing.

picked up some gt40p heads for 240 bucks and a full gt40 upper intake with fuel rail, injectors, and throttle body for only 50 bucks. swapped out the stock gt40 springs for a set of trick flow springs.

yesterday i went to chase all the head bolt threads on the block and I discover I have 2 broken bolts stuck in the block. this should be a good time. already looking at potentially having to pick up a new block.

the 2 bolts arent sticking out at all, I tried an easy out but fuckedc up and didnt get it very centered. I have a friend that has had some luck getting broken bolts out of blocks so hopefully he can get it.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

Im pretty much talking to myself but ill continue to update, got a new motor. working on selling some stuff off it. i have a time lapse posted on my isntagram of me tearing the motor partially apart, turn out pretty cool. ill probably get it posted on youtube soon and link it. if you wanna see it though for now you can find it on my instagram @aaron_wey

got the explorer gt40 heads with trick flow springs on. mated with arp bolts. timing cover and water pump are on. i have a brand new oil pump to go with it as well. once i find the room ill pull the old block out of the chassis and i can get the oil pan and front sump pickup tube off of it. then once i get my better flowing intake all painted up i can finish asemblying the top end and get the new motor in. hopefully smooth sailing.
delvin

Post by delvin »

It's great to see progress without problems. Keep on it brotha, spring is around the corner :cool:
leadphut

Post by leadphut »

:up:
Bigdoug92

Post by Bigdoug92 »

keep it up boss... been following since i saw this thing at sowo. miss that show.. eurox isnt the same lol :D
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

Bigdoug92 wrote:keep it up boss... been following since i saw this thing at sowo. miss that show.. eurox isnt the same lol :D
Thats awesome, glad you're enjoying it. and yeah i havent gone to a eurox and doubt i will. thats a long drive for potential disappointment plus its just not the same.
e281985

Post by e281985 »

This is my old car!

I bought it for myself in high school and the drove it all through college. It made the round trip from Cleveland to South Florida a number of times.

I talked with the guy who bought it from me a year after he bought it and I heard about the strut tower but he had no contact info for you. I've been wondering if it was still on the road. I literally have dreams of this car.
white chocolate

Post by white chocolate »

BDKawey wrote:Im pretty much talking to myself but ill continue to update
I read all the updates, just never say much. Keep it up!
demetk

Post by demetk »

BDKawey wrote:Im pretty much talking to myself ...
Glad someone else is feeling that way. :) Been following your progress all the way through and I'm sure others have also. Keep up the good work.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

e281985 wrote:This is my old car!

I bought it for myself in high school and the drove it all through college. It made the round trip from Cleveland to South Florida a number of times.

I talked with the guy who bought it from me a year after he bought it and I heard about the strut tower but he had no contact info for you. I've been wondering if it was still on the road. I literally have dreams of this car.
thats awesome hahaha. im sorry i ruined your old car.. well now you can keep up with it, itll be on the road until is physically cant be (once its back on the road of course)
e281985

Post by e281985 »

I'm really glad it's still alive...albeit in need of a heart transplant. I kind of figured it was crushed by now.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

here is the link to the tear down time lapse. my camera was slowing tipping there for the first half haha. http://www.pictaram.com/media/143078547 ... 4_17392663

cut a small hole in the firewall to open me up for a real exhaust. this will get patched soon.

BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

Progress is extremely slow but we are very near a break through.

had an exhaust made which was terribly complicated and expensive. just a straight pipe but I'm sure I'll be adding a muffler of some sort in the future. likely a super 44.
sadie looking proud of her wrap job

car wasnt running totally perfect but heres a video. click the picture and it should direct you to flickr

and now the main reason the car hasnt been able to move was that i wasnt pushing enough fluid to disengage the clutch with the stock master.
i bought a pedal reinforcement bracket off of David Depin and modified it to fit one of these wilwood master cylidners. went with a 1" bore which may be too large but i can add a clutch stop or downsize in the future but this should def do it. these are the masters that can be used the exact way i did.
http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/ ... T%20Outlet

now on to pictures.

start with shortening wilwoods pushrod because they are extremely long.
modified bracket
and slap'r on there

tomorrow a buddy is coming over to help me put the clutch line on and bleed it then we'll see what we've got. car should be able to move on its own for the first time in a long time.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

More update's. I have moved to Newark Ohio for a job. I began drafting at Ariel Corporation in Mount Vernon Ohio. where there happens to be a minty 535i that frequents the work parking lot. still have yet to meet the owner.

I came to discover that I was sold a Maf harness with a speed density ecu. Which I overlooked because I was sold them from the same car which must have been why the car was being parted out. So that ecu had no idea what a maf even was.

Purchased the correct ecu and the car was instantly running amazing. I drove it about 2 miles around town and got it some fresh gas.

when I got home a leaking power steering hose that sits close to my header soaked a fire proof sleeve and it caught on fire. nothing major but I ran into the house to grab the extinguisher, the flame melted together a constant 12v wire to the wire going to my starter solenoid causing the starter to engage. on top of that I left the car in gear so while dealing with the fire the car basically tried to run me over but luckily had a stack of tires the car got pinned into as it pulled sideways into the garage. had the slam it out of gear from the passenger side because the drivers side was blocked and then disconnect the battery.

Pretty ridiculous morning but the hose and 2 wires are the only casualty luckily. im relieved that the car is finally running better and im looking forward to sorting out a better hose to try to move it away from the header a bit.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

double post
Last edited by BDKawey on Apr 05, 2018 8:58 AM, edited 2 times in total.
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

That's some serious work on the downpipes! :shock: Was this done in Ohio?
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

Nebraska_e28 wrote:That's some serious work on the downpipes! :shock: Was this done in Ohio?
yeah all the exhaust work was done by a buddy at flitzen factory. a bmw specialty shop in Richfield ohio.

for what it cost I should have done an on3 turbo or bought a single turbo exhaust and just skipped the turbo and used it for its cross over and downpipe while making some dummy pipe with a t4 flange connecting it. but that would have looked silly and whatever. whats done is done
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

small little update, but regardless its all boiling down to me getting my brakes to work. i have a post in the tech section explaining my situation if anyone may have input. i suspect either the return flow is being impeded or the mesh screen on the hydrobooster coming from the high pressure line may be clogged. im heading home this weekend to run some tests and take the line off to check it out.

for starters here is a current engine bay picture. the car now has gt40P heads and an a explorer upper and lower intake. good for a combined 40 or so horsepower over the stock fox body setup

one of the problems I was experiencing with the hydro boost was that I was trying to supply fluid to the stock ford pump from its reservoir, as well as our stock remote reservoir. that proved to be complicated because the reservoirs land at almost the same height and the fluid didnt know where to reside and it was choking itself and then overflowing when the accumulator gets emptied. this was the solution that I came up with. i hacked up the stock ford filler neck from the pump and jb welded it to a pit bike gas tank. giving me nearly the capacity of our stock reservoir. I instantly saw an improvement in my brakes performing but it just shifted to a new problem, which I am working on. the front end was on jack stands which is why the fluid level is crooked, it sits much more flat than that

I mounted a new passenger seat, have to get some more metal in order to make the drivers seat mount. anyone have a guess as to what vehicle they're from?

and also a cockpit shot. which includes a little center/switch gauge panel I am working on. the rectangles are cut out for my power window switches and once I get my hands on a hole saw bit I was cut 3 holes at the top for my water temp, oil pressure, and voltage gauges. that wheel is soon to go because the concave is way to deep for me to comfortably sit as well as reach the turn signals. if anyones got a legit wheel for sale let me know. would prefer nardi or momo.

progress has been extremely slow since I live 2 hours away from the car which is parked at my moms house. but I do feel the end is near and I sure hope so as drift season is uppon us and about to begin.
grayz221

Post by grayz221 »

so ghetto lol :rofl: