The 535i build thread. 302 swap

Post your photos and videos here!
BDKawey

Re: The 535i build thread. 302 swap

Post by BDKawey »

grayz221 wrote:so ghetto lol :rofl:
never said it wasn't, take your shitty butt hurt-ness else where.
delvin

Post by delvin »

Great progress doggie!
thugginrobby

Post by thugginrobby »

Stupid photobucket :/
But the 302 sounds amazing! Definitely something different!
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

thugginrobby wrote:Stupid photobucket :/
I know, im not happy. I intend on going back and fixing these at some point at best I can.

is flickr a reliable prolonged hosting site still? or is it going to fail us in the future like photobucket?
thugginrobby

Post by thugginrobby »

BDKawey wrote:
thugginrobby wrote:Stupid photobucket :/
I know, im not happy. I intend on going back and fixing these at some point at best I can.

is flickr a reliable prolonged hosting site still? or is it going to fail us in the future like photobucket?
I used Village Photos, it's pretty reliable and easy to use.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

Update time. Drove the car for 2 or 3 weekends and put almost 300 miles on it. some missfiring and sputtering but it moved around and no overheating now that I threw a big aluminum summit radiator in it. but sadly it also leaked an entire quart of oil out of the rear main during those 300 miles.
ImageUntitled by Aaron Wey, on Flickr

so after attempting and failing to pull the tranny by itself because somehow the pilot bearing was jammed onto the input shaft, I decided to pull the motor and tranny together after running a compression test with mediocre results: ImageUntitled by Aaron Wey, on Flickr

she was jammed on there pretty good. I had to fight it to yank the bearing out of the crank to get the transmission off and even then the bearing stayed on the input shaft. i wasnt quite sure what the problem was so I also unbolted the pressure plate through the clutch fork hole while the tranny was still on the motor to try to help it off. ImageUntitled by Aaron Wey, on Flickr

so thus started my first "semi" full rebuild. it has been honed, all new crank and rod bearings, and piston rings and a mildly choppy ford motorsports b303 cam.
this picture is just the passenger side bank honed: ImageUntitled by Aaron Wey, on Flickr

nice and pretty copper :laugh: ImageUntitled by Aaron Wey, on Flickr

rotating assembly back together: ImageUntitled by Aaron Wey, on Flickr

and its pretty much back together, need to actually bolt the lower intake back on and throw it on the hoist for it to get the flywheel and clutch and i'll be taking advantage of my upcoming 3 day weekend to drop it back in and fire it up after I plum an oil pressure gauge and try once more to get my dakota digital tach adapter to cooperate.
Last edited by BDKawey on Aug 30, 2018 11:26 AM, edited 2 times in total.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

double post
Last edited by BDKawey on Aug 30, 2018 11:28 AM, edited 1 time in total.
BimmerDan

Post by BimmerDan »

Nice work! I feel your pain I need to pull the transmission out because of a failed slave cylinder. Hopefully, I don't end up as deep as your project.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

BimmerDan wrote:Nice work! I feel your pain I need to pull the transmission out because of a failed slave cylinder. Hopefully, I don't end up as deep as your project.
oof. do you have one of the slave cylinders that slide over the bearing retainer?

thanks what im running. I'm hoping she holds together. my clutch is pretty stiff on a stock level clutch but i dont have a over center spring and have a slightly larger bore master.
BimmerDan

Post by BimmerDan »

It's the whole throw out bearing and slave combo that the t56 uses. I'm guessing we are running the same transmission. Are you using a t5 or t56?
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

its a t5 from a 4 cylinder turbo mustang
e281985

Post by e281985 »

Still at it?
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

e281985 wrote:Still at it?
yup. before i dropped the insurance on it for the winter it was running pretty good and i put some miles on it. right now I have some 540i brakes I rebuilt ready to go on this weekend with some hawk pads and a better hand brake for it. other than that im hoping to drive it more this coming spring/summer and have some content
e281985

Post by e281985 »

Nice. Glad to hear it.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

Little update thats happened in the pst few weeks. Upgraded the brake system. So now im running the “massive” brake booster delete with a vw fox master cylinder. Abs delete. And e34 540i front and rear brakes with hawk pads.
Rears
Fronts before
Fronts after

Also since then ive upgraded the injection system from the stock foxbody wiring harness that i botched up when i was like 18 to a full stand alone holley terminator x efi system.
Here the wiring was about 95 percent complete, was testing things before i totally tidied up. Kit runs about 1200 dollars and you can wire up everything in a few hours with minimal brain power. Would highly recommend this for anyone doing a 5.0 or LS swap.you just need 12v switch, power/ground to the battery, and then wiring in fuel pump power and coil ground. Which both come out of the fuse box. The kit comes with a 3.5” touchscreen lcd for looking at most every parameter and has several inputs and outputs for anything. Right now i have it running 2 aux fans set to come on at different temps as well as a speedometer input coming from the cluster which converts it to the hall effect style signal wave. The plan in the future is to snag a cheap windows tablet and have a fully functional digital dash
Also switched handbrakes to something with a ratcheting mechanism so i can have a functional parking brake since i had to cut the stock one out of the driveshaft tunnel
Last edited by BDKawey on Jun 09, 2020 2:15 PM, edited 1 time in total.
e281985

Post by e281985 »

Nice work. It's been so long that I've had an e28 that seeing my old car is the only reason I come here anymore.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

e281985 wrote:Nice work. It's been so long that I've had an e28 that seeing my old car is the only reason I come here anymore.
haha thats funny. its so tough to find one worthy in ohio. hope if you're looking for one you find it. i was under the carpet of this thing last night tracing wires are its ridiculous. the floor pan is practically separated. ill be flinstoning soon
gadget73

Post by gadget73 »

Which Ford ECU was that running? If it happens to be an A9P and you want to dump it, I'd be interested as a spare for my Towncar. The A9L is the 5 speed one, which I expect is what you had.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

gadget73 wrote:Which Ford ECU was that running? If it happens to be an A9P and you want to dump it, I'd be interested as a spare for my Towncar. The A9L is the 5 speed one, which I expect is what you had.
Yeah it is an A9L and is for sale.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

Yesterday I went to install a new distributor. i was experiencing temporary spark loss after driving for a period of time due to heat affecting the pip sensor inside the distributor.

I started the car and it died so i turned the distributor a little bit to find the sweet spot that it would run at until i could hit it with the timing light. after that I lost rpm signal. shortly after i find out the distributor isnt turning anymore so i pull it. the gears were burned and slightly damaged but still in tact. i put my phone down to film and find out the cam is not spinning at all. I spent the night tearing it down to find a broken cam bolt and a sheared cam dowel. I really dont know what to make of this. just from cranking i did this much damage. im not sure if valves or pushrods got bent, i didnt hear any noises prior. Im really thinking it might be time to pull the plug. ive been dicked around too much on this thing. need to cut my losses at some point. if a defective distributor really locked up my cam, that seems crazy unheard of.

i just got off the phone with the site. he's going to talk to the higher ups about what they can do for me.
Last edited by BDKawey on Jun 25, 2020 8:13 AM, edited 1 time in total.
cek

Post by cek »

Ouch. Fingers crossed for you!
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

so I bought the distributor from LMR.com. they are sending me a new distributor (same one :down: :?), a new arp cam bolt, cam dowel, and timing gaskets.

so its up to me to hopefully get this bolt out. ill be giving it a shot tonight or early next week. if it can come out ill keep going and probably do a leak down test, which means ill have to take off the intake and all the rockers since i cant spin it to close the valves. if the leakdown is bad then im probably over it.

if i cant get the bolt out ill continue with the leakdown and then if thats good MAYBE replace the cam since im practically there.

such a bizarre incident. ill be certain to inspect this new distributor. or ill just steal the pip sensor out of it and put it in my old distributor, which requires a press to get the gear and bushing off to replace. which is why i went with replacing the whole thing in the first place.
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Seems similar to some of my issues with things not cooperating.

Hope it comes out easy and you are back in action after all the hard work!
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

appreciate it.

plan is to heat the blue loc tite on the cam bolt and hopefully easy out it. and then i saw some people drill and tapping the cam dowel and threading a bolt into it to thread it out kinda like how we do our trailing arm bushings
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

appears that I have lucked out. was sent all the parts needed to try to replace the bolt and dowel, did just that and its back in business. sounds healthy again.