The 535i build thread. 302 swap

Post your photos and videos here!
e281985

Re: The 535i build thread. 302 swap

Post by e281985 »

BDKawey wrote: May 21, 2020 10:14 AM
e281985 wrote:Nice work. It's been so long that I've had an e28 that seeing my old car is the only reason I come here anymore.
i was under the carpet of this thing last night tracing wires are its ridiculous. the floor pan is practically separated. ill be flinstoning soon
Unsuprisingly, I can tell you exactly how, when and where that happened. It was a rainy night in Boca Raton...
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

tiiiiiny update on this because the engine bay got a little better looking. its been running great, just tough to find an excuse to drive it because its so rowdy and makes you smell like exhaust haha. hopefully soon ill get some good photos of the two e28s together.

I picked up some vintage holley valve covers and refinished them along with the intake in black. it also got some deka 60# injectors since the stock 19# injectors were approaching too high of duty cycle.

ImageUntitled by Aaron Wey, on Flickr

BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

through the end of last month I spend a good deal of time getting this thing prepped to actually drift for the first time.
my subframe bushings were totally shot so I dropped the whole thing in about 45 minutes. i dont have parking brake cables so its all pretty quick.

I also did those diff mount studs you see like condor and other shops sell, but race german has a stronger stud version I chose. condor advertises them to fit e30, e28, e36 318ti & BMW Z3 however only the lower studs will fit. the upper ones will run into the body before you can mount your diff at its cover mount. 2 studs are still helpful for installing the diff just dont be disappointed when you get to use half the kit, maybe share it with someone :laugh:

did the sawzall and hamer/punch method and had both sides out in under 10 minutes probably. powerflex 2 piece bushings go in nice and easy. also did new dogbones

after 7 years one of my hockey puck mounts looks like its seen enough heat, that got replaced.

I also swapped from a 1" bore willwood clutch master cylinder to a 7/8th and it made the pedal feel much nicer.

and we hit the track! I have no good photos of any action. just a few videos from friends. but it went about how you'd expect a first time to go.

car was getting a little warm with no name fans and no shroud so I ditched the hood for a bit.

I hit a big tractor tire and wheelied, pushed my front end over just a bit. only nasty water front the tire shot up and I thought I punctured my radiator but thankfully not. also kissed the wall and did a little quarter damage as well as damage to a euro bumper I paid next to nothing for and knocked a tail light out. no hard feelings on either incident.

said wheelie :laugh: :
Last edited by BDKawey on Nov 14, 2023 7:44 AM, edited 2 times in total.
e281985

Post by e281985 »

Good to see it getting some exercise.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

e281985 wrote: Oct 09, 2023 10:14 AM Good to see it getting some exercise.
you and I both! thing definitely doing get driven enough. it just gets parked and left on the street. the other day I noticed someone had thrown a slice of american cheese on the car. I was upset but also laughed. it was rock hard and needed scrapped off with a razor blade.