E28 Coupe

Post your photos and videos here!
bigjay973

E28 Coupe

Post by bigjay973 »

Does anyone on the forum have one of these?
http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/jreav ... 3.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Mats Kinnby's former car is the only real one I know of, besides that one somebody spotted in a junkyard!

wkohler

Post by wkohler »

The red one is a photoshop. The Kinnby car is still a sedan but the flares and stuff prevented the rear doors from opening so they're just fiberglass along for the ride.

Lots of people have E28 coupes. They are called E24s.
Coldswede
Location: Back U.P. North,. Where the water's blue, the wind is free and seasons four.

Post by Coldswede »

:roll:

I like my back doors. :oops:
bigjay973

Post by bigjay973 »

I found this one also.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

you talk non-sense
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

bigjay973 wrote:I found this one also.
I think that is a photoshop too.
Coldswede
Location: Back U.P. North,. Where the water's blue, the wind is free and seasons four.

Post by Coldswede »

Technically it would not be hard to make a coupe. Effectively you just weld the doors shut and fill the gaps one way or another. Hell of a lot of work for whatever reason though.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

You would have to lengthen the driver door.
ldsbeaker

Post by ldsbeaker »

wkohler wrote:Lots of people have E28 coupes. They are called E24s.
What he said. It is interesting, though. The "attitude" of each car is totally different to me. I always wonder if i could make an e24 as lively as an e28 with the same mods... But I wouldn't want to kill the "coupe-ness" of the e24.
pldlnr

Post by pldlnr »

ldsbeaker wrote:
What he said. It is interesting, though. The "attitude" of each car is totally different to me. I always wonder if i could make an e24 as lively as an e28 with the same mods... But I wouldn't want to kill the "coupe-ness" of the e24.
The simple answer is no. The driving position is different and the car is too heavy. The e24 can be greatly "livened" up, but it will never feel like an e28.
ldsbeaker

Post by ldsbeaker »

pldlnr wrote:
ldsbeaker wrote:
The simple answer is no. The driving position is different and the car is too heavy. The e24 can be greatly "livened" up, but it will never feel like an e28.
It would definitely be fun to try. I drove an m90 powered 6er for a week, and the addition of hp and lightness certainly helped. Hmmmmm.
pldlnr

Post by pldlnr »

ldsbeaker wrote:
pldlnr wrote:
ldsbeaker wrote:
It would definitely be fun to try. I drove an m90 powered 6er for a week, and the addition of hp and lightness certainly helped. Hmmmmm.
Yeah, it helps. I had an '84 euro with the dirty motor and a host of other mods. It had manual seats and was on the light end when it comes to e24s. It was a great car to drive. It still lacked the "feel" of an e28, though.
Coldswede

Post by Coldswede »

wkohler wrote:You would have to lengthen the driver door.
I suppose so, to be technically correct and to make the rear seats semi accessible (plus tilt back seats of course).

Moving a B pillar is not a small undertaking though. :shock: Dunno what to use for a door. Modify an e24 door or stretch an E28 door? Ugh, Waay, way too much work.
bigjay973

Post by bigjay973 »

wkohler wrote:
bigjay973 wrote:I found this one also.
I think that is a photoshop too.

Mr. Kohler was right. Photoshopped. So the e28 coupe is pretty much the lockness monster?
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

Here's one that was found in a junkyard somewhere; probably part of a bridge somewhere by now.

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=80186

Here's a slightly lame one I did in Photoshop a while back; the longnose e28. Kinda reminiscent of certain Mercs, don'tcha think?

davintosh

Post by davintosh »

Coldswede wrote:
I suppose so, to be technically correct and to make the rear seats semi accessible (plus tilt back seats of course).

Moving a B pillar is not a small undertaking though. :shock: Dunno what to use for a door. Modify an e24 door or stretch an E28 door? Ugh, Waay, way too much work.
I think building a decent wagon/touring from an e28 would be easier than building a decent coupe. And Chris is totally right; why build an e28 coupe when the e24 already exists. :dunno:
603Racing

Post by 603Racing »

How do you interperate the feel of an e28 vs and e24? Just curious.

I have an e24 race car, it feels great. However, I've only driven an e28 street car and an e24 race car, so not an even comparison.

A list in difference of specs would be interesting.
Coldswede

Post by Coldswede »

davintosh wrote:
Coldswede wrote:

I think building a decent wagon/touring from an e28 would be easier than building a decent coupe. And Chris is totally right; why build an e28 coupe when the e24 already exists. :dunno:
Dave as I mentioned, I like my rear doors. I'm not interested in building a coupe. I was just ruminating on the difficulty. I know I do ramble on sometimes. :oops: Sorry 'bout that.
davintosh

Post by davintosh »

Coldswede wrote:
davintosh wrote:
Coldswede wrote:

Dave as I mentioned, I like my rear doors. I'm not interested in building a coupe. I was just ruminating on the difficulty. I know I do ramble on sometimes. :oops: Sorry 'bout that.
I was just rambling as well; I too gave some (very little) thought to what would have to happen to lengthen an e28 door, and the work involved scared me. No worries though; I know you're not that crazy. ;)
genzox

Post by genzox »

An e28 coupe would be on my list to do if I won the lottery. I would also want to build an e30 m3 hatchback.

Drew in NYC

Post by Drew in NYC »

davintosh wrote:Here's a slightly lame one I did in Photoshop a while back; the longnose e28. Kinda reminiscent of certain Mercs, don'tcha think?

:)
OcCoupe

Post by OcCoupe »

I don't like coupes.
ldsbeaker

Post by ldsbeaker »

OcCoupe wrote:I don't like coupes.
??

Maybe you don't like "B" pillars?
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I don't like pants.